Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Looking for Comments and Opinions for DX

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 11, 2012 4:07:58 AM PDT
Loy L. Banks says:
I'm thinking about purchasing a Model DX. I'm wanting current comments and opinions on this model? Pro or con! Most comments I'm seeing so far, many date back to 2009, so I need current thoughts, comments or opinions. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 4:10:17 AM PDT
Loz says:
It really comes down to the fact that the DX hasn't been updated for a few years, and probably wont be. I think they will eventually phases it out. What are your main reasons for wanting the DX over a smaller kindle?

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 4:19:25 AM PDT
Loy L. Banks says:
I'm 72 years old. Larger unit in my case would be better than smaller....I think! When I worded my inquiry I screwed up. I "did" purchase the DX yesterday while prices were lower on the DX for 24 hours. So I paid net $239.00 after discounts. I'm accustomed to using a LapTop or Desktop, so thought it appropriate to post looking for comments, etc in case I decide to return the unit in the 30 day return privilege. Just wanting other points of view, experience, etc. :)

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 4:23:32 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
Personally, I think the DX is too large and too heavy as compared to the Kindle Basic or Kindle Touch, if you just want to read books.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 4:26:15 AM PDT
Fud53 says:
Loy...now that you have it depending on others to make your decision is like depending on others to make any decision...you don't know them so don't know if their reasons for liking or disliking have a valid basis for your decision. Use it...if you like it, keep it. If not then return it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 4:26:56 AM PDT
Loz says:
I actually disagree with you - I think the smaller one would have been better as it is lighter. If you want it just for reading, a smaller one might be easier on your hands. Plus you can enlarge the text if you need to. I don't know your situation, that's just my opinion so please don't be offended! At least you know about the return policy if you decide not to keep it.

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 4:36:35 AM PDT
Loy L. Banks says:
This is not depending on others. I'm simply looking for opinions. The final decision is mine.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 6:56:27 AM PDT
G. McNeil says:
I have minimal amount of experience with the DX (looked at it for a week before deciding on the Touch). Anyway, here are my thoughts:

If you read a lot of magazines or technical books (with maps, diagrams, etc), then the DX fits the bill best IMO. The reason I decided against it is the ability to view such books/magazines on the Kindle for PC and of course it's size. I much prefer the smaller 6" Touch for actual reading. Easier to carry around and keep charged.

I also was thinking about "bad eyes" as my lovely bride needs large print to read comfortably. She liked the DX until she tried the Touch and fell in love with the "purse-sized" model.

I do not think you will be unhappy with the DX if you plan on using it at home. I think you may wish for a smaller model if you plan on hauling it around with you.

One more thing - I could not find a decent cover with light built-in for the DX (there is one I found but I did not like it). The basic, Touch and Keyboard models all have great covers with lights.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 6:57:22 AM PDT
Loy, my husband bought me a DXG 18 months ago. I love it when I am going to be reading for a lengthy time period. My 53 year old eyes are very bad, and I really like the larger screen. I can have the font the size I want it, and don't have to turn the page every 10 seconds.

I do read on my little Kindle too, it just depends on the time of day and what I'm reading.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 7:21:45 AM PDT
Debi says:
There are no cons IMO. I bring it with me everywhere.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 8:08:04 AM PDT
I love my DX. I use it for reading at home when I can prop it up on a pillow. Love my KK too....that's the one I take with me everywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:40:21 AM PDT
luv2read says:
I've had my DX for several months and really enjoy it. I purposely got it because it's bigger so I can have a large font and not have to turn the page quite as freqently. Also the buttons are nice and accessible (although I wish the on/off one was larger).

The weight is not excessive and you get used to it when carrying - a case with handles is good. I have a small metal stand which fits almost any reader that is handy for reading while sitting and I'm considering a triangle pillow for reading in bed.

Personally, I think the DX is a good option for older folks and those with visual or other impairments. Hope you enjoy yours!

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 11:30:21 AM PDT
i'm a button person so I love my KK's and new Kindle...iirc the DX only has one button it's on the right side. I turn pages with both hands, the DX would not work out for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 11:34:56 AM PDT
That is really the only thing I don't like about my DXG. The large screen outweighs that issue for me though.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 11:46:05 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
You can enlarge the type to the same sizes on both DX and basic Kindles, but you can't reduce the weight of a DX from almost 20 oz to less than 6.

Plus the DX is older technology, with older firmware and a slower processor. And it costs 3 times more, even at the sale price.

Fortunately, Amazon's return policy lets you try it and send it back if you want to try something else. You can even buy both, and send back the one you don't want.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 12:06:37 PM PDT
Of course. But if I'm reading in a dark room, I need a larger font than normal. On my little Kindle, that gives me 14 lines. Which means I turn the page every few seconds. The DX gives me a lot more screen real estate, and the weight isn't an issue when I'm laying in bed with it propped on a pillow. The larger size actually makes it easier to prop than the small one.

And the DX has Text To Speech, which my Basic does not.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 12:17:51 PM PDT
My husband loves his DX. He reads technical manuals and tried it on my K2i and they simply weren't large enough to be legible enough. I was lucky enough to get him one when they were on a Black Friday sale.

One of the things I love most about the Kindle is that you can bump up the font size and with the DX, you can get a lot of page on a screen, even with a larger font. While the DX is larger and heavier than the latest model Kindles, it's still lighter and less bulky than many print books. Unless size and weight is a huge factor, I'd think the DX - especially at the great sale price offered yesterday - will be a great purchase. I hope you wind up being happy with your purchase, Loy, but as others have mentioned, you have 30 days to decide if it's "the one" for you. Enjoy!

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 12:21:59 PM PDT
I agree with R. D. Clark. I prefer the $79 Kindle Basic, which is the smallest and lightest weight of all the models (although the screen size is the same as the Touch and Keyboard) and I doubt you'd have problems with the screen size. It's very crisp and has great contrast. Also, changing font size is fast and easy. If in doubt, order a DX and a Basic and try them out side-by-side. I bet you'll keep the Basic and return the DX. The only real advantage I see in the DX is for reading PDF's and graphic-intense books and magazines.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 1:11:57 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Interestingly, in size and weight (and price, when it's not on sale) the DX has more in common with an iPad than with the other Kindles. A $399 iPad 2 is less than 70 grams heavier than a DX, about the same size, and much better at displaying graphics (and doing a host of other things. But of course it's not e-ink and is therefore subject to glare; it only gets about 10 hours from a battery charge; and it's wifi-only (3g models cost $130 more). But IMO the reason the DX is unlikely ever to be updated is that, for most of the applications people buy them for (reading full-page PDFs, reading textbooks with lots of graphics and charts, etc.), the iPad and other large tablets simply offer more. These types of uses are less likely to take place outdoors, or to require more than a full day's worth of battery life.

Some people will, of course, buy a DX for recreational reading because the large screen offers benefits (like less-frequent page-turning) they find attractive. I would personally miss the left-side page-turn buttons, and the smaller Kindles' left- and right-side buttons make page-turning (for me, anyway) a nearly autonomic function; I tend to perceive a Kindle book as a continuous scroll, and don't really notice page turns (which happen with a thumb-twitch whichever hand I happen to be using) or the page-refreshes (which are also faster and less obtrusive on the newer Kindles than on the DX).

Mainly, though, I hope that Amazon continues to offer a variety of Kindles with a range of feature sets and form factors. Discussions like this demonstrate that one size or style never fits all, and serving the needs and preferences of a wide variety of readers can only help expand the appeal of the Kindle family.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 1:29:50 PM PDT
Debi says:
LOL, people act like the Dx is so heavy you can't lift it. I'm old, short, and a woman. I've never had a problem lugging it around. The size difference is awesome IMO, it only weighs a little over 4 oz more than a fire. How do those people cope? I gave my K2 away after getting my second DX.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 1:34:18 PM PDT
GreyDay says:
I had a DX for a while before I bought the Kindle Keyboard. I carried it everywhere in my bookbag. The weight wasn't really a problem. At home it was easy to read either laying on a table or propped up on something. It would be a little heavy to read onehanded while carrying it like I can my smaller kindle but if you are reading mostly at home or while sitting somewhere that's not really a problem. I got it because I thought the amount of text would be too small on the 6 inch kindles. After I tried it I found I was comfortable with the text on the small kindle and I liked the lighter weight and size. Both are fine devices. If I needed very large text I might say that the DX had the advantage but if you can read comfortably with text size on medium settings the 6 inch kindles might be better. Better yet get one of each.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 1:43:31 PM PDT
That's exactly why we bought the larger Kindle - we thought the smaller screen would be too small. We both now read on whichever Kindle (KK or DX) happens to be handy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 4:48:21 PM PDT
BrendaE says:
I've had my DXG for about 2yrs. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also have a small kindle that I gave to my mom. Reading is the only thing that both of us do, I wanted the larger screen, and she wanted something akin to a paperback. We are both very pleased.
I would suggest for a 72year young person the DX. The font size can be made HUGE. Good luck with your choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 7:27:48 PM PDT
Sadfoot says:
I've had a DX for about 9 months now, and I love it. I got it to use with newspaper subscriptions (though I've got a couple hundred books loaded now, too), and it suits me perfectly. I use it at home; I would probably wouldn't want to carry it if I were commuting daily on bus or train. It's not heavy, but I can't just put it in my purse or pocket. I have tried the smaller screen (we have an older Nook) but it demands frequent page turning that's just annoying.
Having said all this, I do wish Amazon would offer updates for the DX. I am afraid it is something of an orphan.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 11:09:16 PM PDT
M. Reynolds says:
I've owned a Kindle Keyboard since December 2010 and the Kindle DX (woot sale) since January 2012. I love both of them and use both daily.

Both fit in my purse easily and I found reasonably priced cases for both.

I do really love the bigger DX screen with less page turns for all books and I don't mind the weight of the DX at all. There are clear stands you could use with either kindle if the weight is a concern. I like the Kindle DX better for games due to my vision needs, too.

They are both great outside or in the car. My clip on light works better for the KK due to page size. There are also DX lights, but I only have the one for in the dark reading.

A friend just used a small flashlight with her DX in the dark until she bought the Fire. She hates her kindle Fire in sunlight so she uses both. She wishes the Fire came in DX size.

You will love th GS access
everywhere - never miss out on a free book while away from WIFI.

I would buy both again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Aug 11, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions