Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Charging the Kindle Fire when Off?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 282 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 11:12:09 AM PST
Hakk't says:
Just received my Fire and was wondering if you can charge the battery while the device is off? When I turn it off, the orange light from the power button turns off as well even though the unit is plugged in. The indicator light only works when it is powered on or in sleep mode.

On another note, I am assuming that turning off the device will be more normal than a regular Kindle which I was encouraged to keep in sleep mode rather than fully powering off. Is that true or is keeping it in sleep mode turn off the battery automatically?

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 1:56:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2011 2:05:58 PM PST
Hello Hakk't,

You can charge the Kindle Fire while the device is off. The indicator light, however, should be giving you either an orange light if your Kindle Fire needs to charge, or a green light indicating that the Fire is fully charged. If you are not seeing the indicator light come on while plugged in, even if the device is off, please follow the steps below:

1. Make sure you are using the Kindle Fire charger that came with your device.

2. Un-plug and plug back in the Kindle Fire.

3. Restart the Kindle Fire (To reset your Kindle Fire, press and hold the power button on the bottom of the Kindle for a full 20 seconds.)

If after these steps you still do not see an indicator light on your Kindle Fire while plugged in, please contact Amazon Kindle Customer Support.

You can also give us a call at:

U.S. and Canada: 1-866-216-1072
Kindle Support: 1-866-321-8851
International: 1-206-266-2992

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Shannon A.
Amazon Kindle Customer Service

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 1:37:39 AM PST
I am having the same issue.

I turned my Fire off and plugged it in to charge it before going to bed last night [9pm] and when I woke up [3am] and turned it on, the battery still indicated 53%, the same as it was when I turned it off and plugged it in. It is now 4.36am and the device is charging [while the power is turned on] and it indicates 91%.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 2:00:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 2:01:00 AM PST
Hmm, I'm wondering. The long "hold" didn't restart my Fire, it just shut it down completely. It even asks "Do you want to Shut Down". I had to hit the Power button to get the Fire to turn back on again after shutting it down by holding the Power button for several seconds, in which case, it took the Fire quite some to "reboot" back up. However, normally I only tap the Power button to "turn it off", in which case, another tap of the Power button turns the Fire back on instantly. So, there seems to be 2 types of "powering off" - a hard shut down, and a soft one. However, in both cases, plugging my Kindle into a charging outlet, whether it be a wall outlet, or a USB port on my computer immediately started charging the device regardless. I have noticed that you can't be using the Fire (have it on in other words) for anything while its charging, otherwise, it does not charge while in use.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 6:18:09 AM PST
I am having the same problem. We have four Fires in my household. They were charging when they were completely off and now they stopped. Every time they are off and you plug them in to charge, it restarts them. I was able to power them down when they restarted and then they would charge but now they will not charge after powering down and being plugged into the charger. This happened over night. So what changed? I would like to charge them and have them be powered off, while doing so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 1:13:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 1:15:45 PM PST
Hakk't says:

I chatted with one rep online and then called the phone number mentioned above and talked to the rep in India and then was transferred to someone in the States. The short of it is that I was told to just charge the thing while it is on. And because my Fire will charge while on, that's what I am doing. I also asked if we should shut the thing down since the battery life is considerably less than a previous gen Kindle and the rep said not to since it actually takes more energy to power back up again than just leaving it in sleep mode, unless you are planning on not using it for a week or more.

I have to say that the reps I chatted with and talked to didn't seem to know what to do entirely with this issue, even the State-side one so I'm wondering if this is a rare problem? Also, they seemed surprised when I told them that my Fire would turn on automatically when I plugged it in. But since my battery seems to function fine and charges well, I'm not too worried. I thought that it might be a defect and will further break down but so far, no issues.

This happened to all four of your Fires? That's surprising.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 3:18:56 PM PST
Aekero says:
This is getting frustrating, have been able to repeat this every time, tried rebooting, no dice.

Exit all programs, plug in charge cable, power button goes orange, battery bar starts cycling green (indicating it's charging) After about a minute, charge light goes off, and battery bar goes back to white, doesn't move, showing about 15% charge. What gives? Thinking defective, will probably return this tomorrow if it doesn't charge at all over the next few hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 3:51:16 PM PST
Hakk't says:
Yeah, that sounds defective since it isn't taking a charge at all. I'd call customer service first before shipping back. You can see the number in the second post.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 3:56:07 PM PST
TomasG says:
Can the charger/USB cable that came with my Gen 3 Kindle Keyboard be used with the Kindle Fire? I do so like the adaptors that aren't the big, clunky cubes, and would like to be able to travel with the more compact cord(s) we currently have.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 3:59:20 PM PST
TomasG says:
Can the charger/USB cable that came with my Gen 3 Kindle Keyboard be used with the Kindle Fire? I do so like the adaptors that aren't the big, clunky cubes, and would like to be able to travel with the more compact cord(s) we currently have.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 4:00:43 PM PST
@CAK: You can use that cable to charge by connecting the Fire (switched off) to a computer, but check that the charge light comes on - the USB port might not supply enough power to charge the Fire. The K3 wall charger will have a lower power supply rating than the Fire - you can check them on the plug itself - so it will take a lot longer to charge the Fire.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 4:01:05 PM PST
@Hakk't Thanks for the info. I am still going to see if it changes, like I said it was charging before with it powered off and now it won't. I don't know if I like leaving it on all day too. I have been using it during my lunch at work and in the evening. It seems like a waste to leave it on all that other time.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:25:02 AM PST
Mark Diamond says:
I am having the same problem with the new Kindle Fire. I've been trying to charge it with the factory usb cable. The little orange light doesn't stay on, it's like the connection is loose. Looks like this one will be going back. I hope this isn't a massive launch failure. :(

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 9:00:22 AM PST
Mary McManus says:
I've been charging mine while it's in the sleep mode, and it charges really fast. Not planning to turn it off unless I have issues with it requiring a restart, or in the unlikely event it would be stored unused for awhile.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 9:08:57 AM PST
M. Beck says:
Mine is frozen. I charged it all night and the light never went green....just Kindle Fire on the screen (hard reset does nothing to fix it either)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 9:19:08 AM PST
I'm charging mine in sleep mode also and won't be turning if off ever probably!! Mine charged really fast right out of the box when I got it.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 2:44:32 PM PST
Just to add to the list of Kindle Fire charge issues mine does the same. As soon as I plug in the wall charger when the kindle has been shut down it powers back on. Amazon is this a software or hardware issue?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 2:48:39 PM PST
N. wyman says:
I have this same question. Only I don't want to charge the Fire with the K3 cord; instead, I want to use the USB connection to move data from my PC to the Fire. Am unclear as to what, exactly, I am supposed to buy for this.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:52:06 PM PST
Lucas Barrie says:
Same problem, my fire wont charge when its off. I don't mind keeping it in sleep all night to charge. I'll shut it off every day or so just for the sake of restarting it..

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 4:00:34 AM PST
K. Hinkle says:
I'm glad to see mine isn't the only one! I just left mine in sleep mode to charge. No light at all if it is off. May try calling later. Seems to be ok otherwise.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 4:34:17 AM PST
Same here for v6.1 it looks like the standard operation is that if you have your Fire turn off an plug it in it will automatically turn it on. If you then turn if off (not sleep) there is no light, and I suspect, as reported above, it is not charging. So I would say at this time that you must charge the device in sleep mode. This is not likely a hardware bug as it is too common, it is either a hardware design issue or software issue; so I don't think one should return the device for this reason.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 5:04:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 5:07:25 AM PST
P. Craig says:
I have other small and midi tablets (Q5 and Q7) they do the same thing, power on when plugged in and then go to sleep in about a minute. My Fire is plugged in right now and as I use it it is charging. Just the way they are set up. If I stop using it in a minute it will go to sleep.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 5:10:25 PM PST
I've already had the kindle fire freeze up on me 2 times, once while trying to play Dungeon Defenders: Second Wave and the other while trying to load Fruit Ninja. I had to do 2 restarts on it, the first one didn't let me use the touch screen. so had to do another one after that in order to get that back... Quite annoying.

On the topic of the post... Can I charge my Kind Fire if I plug it into a USB port on my computer like the other Kindles? Or do I have to use the wall jack?

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 6:19:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 6:34:19 PM PST
Data says:
My Kindle Fire does the same thing- no charge when it is off and it turns back on when I plug it in. I'm gonna leave it in sleep mode and charge it that way...but how do I know it's in "Sleep" mode??? I know- dumb question..but I want to make sure :)- Never mind- I figured it out.... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 6:52:30 PM PST
N. wyman says:
just push the power button. That puts it in sleep mode. If you hold the power button down for about twenty seconds, then you have turned it off.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  196
Total posts:  282
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 57 customers

Search Customer Discussions