Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

2 year old kindle 2nd generation freezing up.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2013 4:19:32 PM PST
jaxcgs says:
My kindle 2nd gen. is freezing up and the hard start works sporadically, but when I turn it off, it freezes again. Bad battery? HELP!

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 4:38:17 PM PST
Artist says:
You should not be turning of the Kindle all the way, but just letting it go into sleep mode (or putting it into sleep mode with a quick flick of the power button).

You may have books stuck in indexing, or you may just have too many books stored on your device. How many books do you have stored on the device.

To see if you have books stuck indexing, on your home page, type a nonsense word such as xyxyxy then choose Search. At first it will display that there are no matches, but it will then (slowly) display a list of any books that might be stuck indexing. Make note of those books, delete them from the device, and then download them, but not too many books at one time.

You could also just contact Kindle CS via http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport, then click on the yellow Contact Us button on the right side of the page. Chose the phone option so they can troubleshoot with you in real time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 4:43:28 PM PST
jaxcgs says:
Thanks for responding. I never turn it all the way off, I do just put it in sleep mode. I will try your other suggestion as soon, or if I can get it back on. Currently, it won't come on AT ALL.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 4:45:26 PM PST
Artist says:
If it's charged, try a reboot. Hold the power button for 30 seconds (time it), release the button, then wait a few minutes for your home page to reappear.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 4:54:00 PM PST
jaxcgs says:
Have done several times over the past couple of days. It has worked each time until this past attempt.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 5:16:32 PM PST
Artist says:
Just FYI, I have a K2 and my battery is still okay. Mine was purchased in Feb of 2010.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 7:04:10 PM PST
depending on how long you have had it, you may just give up and buy a paperwhite....I had same problem and apparently they do not fix them, but rather try to give you a credit....I loved my K2 and had it over 3 years...I don't think they were designed to last much more than that....
any way I love my PW

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 7:23:42 PM PST
jaxcgs says:
Yea, I've had mine a little over 2 years. I love it. I just had an online chat with an an Amazon rep, and he said the very thing you mentioned about getting a refurbished kindle at a reduced cost. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. It hasn't completely died, but seems to be heading in that direction. Good to hear your experience. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 7:28:43 PM PST
flipoid says:
You can also buy replacement batteries for the Kindle 2 (are you sure it's the Kindle 2 and not the Kindle 3/Keyboard? Two years ago, only the K3/KK was being sold as new). If you do a search, you can find videos that show you how to replace the battery.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 5:40:36 PM PST
B. Gonzalez says:
To supplement Flipoid's suggestion: www.newpower99.com sells batteries and has video instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 9:46:39 PM PST
ME to TN says:
My 2nd Gen Kindle is about the same age as yours and has been freezing up for a while. I just plug the USB cord into my computer, then unplug it and it seems to work fine for a while. I find that it freezes more if I get busy doing something and let it go to sleep on it's own rather than me clicking it into sleep mode myself.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions