Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Tues., Dec 18, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 143 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 8:05:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:10:20 PM PST
JudyD says:
Good morning to all good bibliophiles everywhere! Since the discussion the other day about depression, I investigated whether there were any hints available on the net and this came up at http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art54075.asp I'm sure many of us have felt the Holiday Blues at least one time in our lives, no matter which holiday, due to an event that has occurred in our life and wished we knew some of these techniques. Sending hugs to all in need and glad we can share good books and take a trip to a great place through reading and enjoy an uplifting journey to another place and time.

In the meantime, welcome to all who visit the FBAC lounge. Get a fresh beverage of your choice, pull up a chair, snuggle up with a nice warm blanket, and prepare for another day of shared friendship and book hunting.

7 Tips For Beating The Holiday Blues

I'm sure you can feel it coming on like clockwork. Much like a seasonal cold or flu, except it feels worse and it comes every year - The Holiday Blues.

Feeling depressed during the holidays is not unusual for people who feel stressed by the upcoming dinners, parties, shopping, and planning that is involved with typical holiday events. It is also common for those that have lost loved ones, gone through a divorce, lost a job, etc., around the holidays.

The holidays can also exacerbate depression in someone who already suffers from it. So it's critical to do what you can to beat the holiday blues - before it ruins what should be a fun and festive time.

Tip #1
Stay Connected - The worst thing you can do for the holiday blues is to be isolated from those who love you - or even like you a little bit:) Many people who are depressed during the holidays are also - lonely.

Tip #2
Write a Gratitude Letter - Haven't you ever complained about someone or something in your life to only later hear about a way more terrible story about someone else's life? Write a letter of gratitude to your parents, God, or yourself - detailing all the things that ARE great about your life today. Although it may be difficult at first, it will help you keep perspective once you complete it. Remember, you don't have to share this with anyone.

Tip #3
Get Moving - I think I have talked about this in a million other articles, but the statistics don't lie. Exercise - even mild exercise - helps alleviate the symptoms of depression. Taking a brisk walk in the a.m., before your day or to wind down after your day - is a great way to beat the blues.

Tip #4
Avoid Drinking/Drugging - You need to stay away from things like alcohol or recreational drugs if you are feeling down. While you do experience a temporary numbing effect - your feelings of "the blues" will only become magnified once you come down off of your drug of choice.

Tip #5
Pull Out The Photos - You will not avoid the pain of losing a loved one or an ex by avoiding talking about them, looking at them, or thinking of them. It just doesn't work. This year, consider honoring the "good times" with that person by pulling out the old photos or movies and having a good laugh or cry.

Tip #6
Pace Yourself - If you are feeling depressed, don't say "yes" to everything. Take on one thing or nothing, if need be. Do what you feel is realistic.

Tip #7
Tell someone - Did it ever occur to you that it would be much easier to get through the holidays if someone else knows how hard it is for you. People that love you - want to help. Even if they don't necessarily know what to do - just having the distraction of someone "trying to help" you in your life could be the solution.

BONUS TIP!
Talking about what is going on with you emotionally (in talk therapy) has and still remains one of the best ways to get through a depression of any kind. It's a drug-free, long-term solution to getting past feeling depressed during the holidays. Ask your primary physician for a referral to a great mental health counselor/therapist in your area.

Links to daily free book sources:

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/mn

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Courtney - Wednesday, December 19 Start time around 12am EST
BubbaK - Thursday, December 20, Start time around 12 am EST
Lover of Blitzen - Friday, December 21st, Start Time: 12:30am PST
KayKay - Saturday, December 22, start time 12:30-1:30 EST
KayKay - Sunday, December 23, start time 12:30 - 1:30 EST
Twas The Night...Leo.. Monday, Dec. 24 Start Time: 12:30am PST
Elf Keeper - Tuesday, December 25 start time: 6-7:00AM EST probably earlier
Courtney - Wednesday, Dec. 26 Start time around 12am EST
MerryInTexas - Thursday, Dec. 27
Lover of Blitzen - Friday, December 28th, Start Time: 12:30am PST

Open Dates:

Saturday, Dec. 29
Sunday, Dec. 30
Monday, Dec. 31

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***

Yesterday's link
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx3LHY6Q4POSEB

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:11:04 PM PST
KayKay says:
Great and informative start Joyful Judy, Thanks

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:11:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:11:39 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:13:21 PM PST
JudyD says:
Boy, you were fast @Every Kiss Begins With Kay (K). I thought I had posted the recipe to the wrong page, so will try again :)

Since Monday's forum had some interesting doggy treat recipes, I thought this might be helpful for the folks who would like to have something for our meowzers. No, I have not made these, but this looked simple and did not appear to take too much time, so worth a try.

Tempting Tuna Treats ~ Makes 55 to 65 marble-sized treats ~
To most cats, tuna is almost as attractive as catnip! Try this delicious cat treat recipe on your cat!

Ingredients:
* 1 3-ounce can albacore tuna in water or oil, undrained
* 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 large egg
* 1/4 cup water

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, use a fork to shred the tuna into small pieces.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well. The dough will be sticky.
4. Flour or oil your hands so you can handle the dough and form the dough into small, marble-sized balls.
5. Place the balls on a greased cookie sheet, and use your fingers to gently flatten them.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the bottoms of the treats are golden brown.
7. Flip the treats and bake for another five to 10 minutes or until both sides of the treats are golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven, let cool thoroughly, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Heading to bed and will check in tomorrow morning. Have a nice evening and early a.m.
Judy

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:14:55 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:18:01 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:16:43 PM PST
This one sounds like fun:

Treasure of the Jaguar Warrior - Mystery of the Mayan Calendar (Paranormally Yours)
What do you get when a mischievous ghost, a new divorcée, her helpful mother, the nosy neighbor, her hunky son, a leaky pooch, and a fed up gardener are thrust together for the Christmas season?
A fast paced, action-packed, mystical thriller that is just what the veterinarian ordered to start the new year (tun) off right!
Jessie has agreed to house sit her eccentric aunt's empty bed and breakfast for the Christmas holiday while she tours Italy. But Jessie soon learns that the old mansion isn't necessarily empty. . . . After meeting the resident ghost, she is convinced she's lost not only her old life, her practice, and her beloved dog, but quite possibly her sanity as well!
Having just gone through a divorce, Jessie has more on her plate than dealing with her nosy neighbor, the blue haired dynamo's perpetually leaky dachshund, and her gorgeous son, who could be at home in the halls of Valhalla playing the part of Thor. . . . She has to find Jacques, the ghost pirate's treasure map, the fabled city of El Dorado, and the Heart of the Mountain itself in order to save the man she loves . . . along with the planet!
This book explores the hidden mysteries of the ancient myths surrounding the Mayan Sun calendar, with enough nonsense thrown in to make it all deliriously whacky. The Christmas season takes on a whole new meaning in this humorous, romantic adventure.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:48:24 PM PST
I brought this over from Mondays thrread...Marla had said that she wished we could move our wishlist around.....
Marla, I made a second wish list and titled it Most Wanted Books...
And I do that too,(add books that are not free to the wishlist when we get one that is part of a series) otherwise I know that I will miss freebiees when offered from some series....

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:01:41 PM PST
Lyn says:
No birthdays or anniversaries until next Monday the 24th and Thursday the 26th.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:06:32 PM PST
Lyn says:
http://sprng.me/hb12m

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls (Not GF)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bacon-Wrapped Potato Bites with Spicy Sour Cream Dipping Sauce (not dairy free but that is the dipping sauce)
http://sprng.me/hfchb

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:11:56 PM PST
ebook addict says:
Just got ereader notice that this one went free:

A Dyeing Shame (A Myrtle Clover Mystery)
When Beauty Box beautician Tammy Smith is discovered with a pair of hair shears in her back, there are suspects and secrets aplenty in her small Southern town.

Octogenarian Myrtle Clover, bored by bingo and bridge, is intrigued by the crime...and her neighbors' secrets. But discovering, and blabbing, secrets got Tammy killed and Myrtle soon learns her sleuthing isn't just dangerous...it's deadly.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:42:09 PM PST
Courtney says:
Also, in case you don't check yesterday's thread:

Marla, you can also change the priority of books (high, low, medium) and sort your list by priority.

I hate when I double add a book to my wish list and it becomes the top book.again.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:44:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:45:11 PM PST
Talos IV says:
MAKE YOUR OWN KINDLE COVER - Volumes 1, 2 & 3 - Nine Designs - Limitless Variations (FUN, EASY, (AND CHEAP) NO-SEW KINDLE COVERS FOR THE FRUGAL DO-IT-YOURSELFER)- FREE

Ladies and gentlemen we may have found the present for my Mom's 80 year old happenin' boyfriend. Whew! :)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:36:40 PM PST
ebook addict says:
for elaineb who asked how to apply the book for a buck voucher, repeated from last night's thread:

The way the book-for-a-buck works is this:
Login to your Amazon local site using your Amazon login. Look at your vouchers & click on the orange View Code button. Copy this code & enter it on the Amazon promotional codes page BEFORE you purchase the book you want for a dollar. Detailed instructions on how to enter the code appear on the page that opens with the code.

Also note that once this code is entered, it will apply to the 1st book you buy that is on the list, even if that book should fall to 99 cents or less. So it is best not to enter the code until right before you are going to one-click the book you want it to apply to.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:50:39 PM PST
It looks like the important thing is to get the voucher now before amazon's end of day....Then you have a week to get the book..

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:49:58 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
I saw the below and got excited, when I read the reviews I hesitated, but I still one clicked it. Just in case anyone else might be interested even though the reviews are average. I'll let you know after I read it whether I thought it was worth the click.

Clues to Christie: An Introductory Guide to Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Tommy & Tuppence and All of Agatha Christie's Mysteries

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:09:29 AM PST
The Kinlib update just came in.....

Tuesday, December 18th 2012, 03:03 AM PST (446 books)
http://us.kinlib.com/new/c89c/

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:41:43 AM PST
From my wish list.....
In the Flesh (The Soul Series)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:03:36 AM PST
Scarlett859 says:
From wish list...

Christmas Short Story Advent

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:32:49 AM PST
Suze says:
Thanks Joyful Judy for the great start!

This is a particularly confusing holiday because of the news, it's so difficult to combine the two, emotionally! Thank you for the practical tips. I know for sure some of them help me all the time, not just at the holidays.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:38:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 5:40:16 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Thanks for the doggie treat recipes from yesterday.

My little dog, Chuck, has high liver enzymes. The vet has recommended Chuck should quit eating store bought doggie treats, especially "pup-oroni".

The way we found out Chuck had a problem was due to pre-surgery bloodwork. I took him in a couple of months ago to be neutered. I opted for the pre-surgery bloodwork even though it was not required. Best $35 I've ever spent! His ALT liver enzyme should be at 100 - his was at 600! It would be dangerous to put him under to do surgery. He has been on antibotics and some vitamins. That has gotten the level down to below 400 but still way too high.

ETA:
The funny part about him having this problem is that it runs in my family! I have elevated liver enzymes at times. So does my mother and sister. None of us drink more than maybe a glass of wine at a time but our livers are not well. I told the vet about this and she said you would be surprised she hears this. That often animals end up in families with the same medical problems. She said it actually is helps her because that means I already understand much of what she is saying about liver enzymes.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:46:29 AM PST
ReaderKat says:
Hi, all! Just picked up A Dyeing Shame (A Myrtle Clover Mystery) as suggested by ebook addict. I haven't been getting very many freebies lately. Not enough time to check and I have so many to read now that I thought I'd better cut back a little. (Okay, the real reason is that I just haven't had the time to search through the lists.)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:01:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:02:21 AM PST
MelissaShaw says:
Peachy Pat - please make sure that the high liver enzymes are not connected to any liver disease such as PSC. High liver enzymes are usually indicative of other issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:28:25 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
@Peachy
glad to hear you found out about little Chuck's health issue early on, here's hoping the treatments continue to reduce. Glad to hear you say you got an animal with a similar health issue, I adopted a dog (Dakota the Pommy)with allergies that trigger the same time as mine, but show up as massive digestive and intestinal issues, I diagnosed that one just in time to avoid a biopsy -peptobismol and sensitive tummy bones are a lot cheaper. I adopted a cat (Calvin the lovable lug) with similar bladder issues, although didn't recognize it for a couple of years. Blue and I both have an itchy ear, and Dillon the Persian diva suffers from entitlement attitude....uh, not going there, nope, nothing in common with the Persian....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:32:29 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
LOL about the Persian

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:41:39 AM PST
@ReaderKat, you're not the only one getting fewer freebies. I'm not sure if I'm just getting pickier or if the selections are down a bit.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  143
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions