Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

fire hd 8.9 problems

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2012 4:56:21 AM PST
IT Guy says:
Got mine this week. All sorts of bugs. Auto screen brightness needs to be turned off and then on in order to brighten screen to proper level. Dolby 5.1 sound drops out and has to be toggled to turn back on. Browser performance is erratic. Battery life at best is 4 hrs on a full charge. Video performance (netflix, prime, etc.) is sometimes "stickey" - even with confirmed quality wi-fi connection (running side by side w/iPad on Fios-based wifi). About ready to send back to Amazon. Anyone else out there having similar issues?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:19:33 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
I'm not seeing any of those issues. I haven't been watching many videos, so I'm not sure how that affects the battery life.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 5:53:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 21, 2012 5:53:57 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:01:29 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
No issues, whatsoever. Maybe you have a lemon. It happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:55:18 AM PST
kmichelle says:
I've not had those problems. My Kindle HD 8.9" came last Friday. Waiting for a couple of weeks to write a review on its performance. So far so good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 5:43:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 5:43:42 AM PST
Andrew n VA says:
I have had mine for a week and have not experienced any of the problems stated. I upgraded from the Kindle Fire to the 8.9" HD and absolutely love it.

I just wish Skype and Facetime would accept calls from the other.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 9:52:08 AM PST
Lisa says:
If a hard reset doesnt fix it, Id send it back.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 6:37:03 AM PST
IT Guy says:
Thanks for the feedback. I called Kindle support and they are shipping a replacement. I really like the product - and hope mine is just a one-off defect. If anyone has a chance to test this URL (it's from the Kindle Support Forum) - and let me know how Silk handles it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_201016150_web?nodeId=201016150#web

This is one of the sites that hangs Silk. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 9:01:03 PM PST
Lisa says:
i encountered no problems with the site.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:47:45 PM PST
Pmudda says:
I have the same issue with the auto brightness. My browser was also slow and would often suddenly restart itself, but may have been due to my connection. Was your replacement ok?

Thank you

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:15:26 AM PST
mnmschaffer says:
I am having problems with the wifi auto reconnecting after it goes to sleep. I am told this is a known issue with no date of when it will be fixed. I have the original Fire and now upgraded to the 8.9...love it!!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:59:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 8:36:55 PM PST
AYi21 says:
I've had my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 for only 3 days...several issues. Some apps downloaded in the app store do not properly work, I need to touch the screen a couple of times for it to respond, and it just turned off all of a sudden and won't turn back on...even after trying the "hard reset" a few times. I was very excited to get this tablet and an avid user of amazon prime...I'm a bit discouraged and hope CS helps me with this issue. They told me to continue to charge my kindle and will call me back in an hour...

UPDATE: Amazon CS (Britney) is awesome! Although she wasn't able to help me fix my kindle, (after trying several things) she helped expedite a new kindle to be sent to my home even though my husband had originally purchased it at Best Buy. Let's hope that the one I have now is just a lemon....Thank you Amazon and Britney for your wonderful service.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:06:30 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
I don't have any issues with auto-reconnecting after waking up. In fact, I'm surprised at how well it works, better than my first gen Fire. I'm not rejecting that you have an issue, I'm just curious about it. I do hope Amazon gets these problems resolved.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:07:27 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
As far as the screen touch, you might try a stylus. I've noticed that sometimes my finger slips across the surface because the glass is so slick.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:25:42 PM PST
I had a fabulous wifi connection and no problem with reconnecting with a Linksys router.
Got a new Motorola router Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem and have issues now with reconnecting automatically. So obviously it is something with the router.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:28:18 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
That <is> curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:14:28 PM PST
Downloading Wi-Fi Analyzer and selecting auto wifi on under settings along with setting the channel to the highest available under Channel Settings seems to have fixed the autoconnect issue at least for now.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:16:25 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Cool. I didn't know you could actually change the channel with wifi analyzer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:36:31 PM PST
There are a couple tweaks to be done to the actual modem set-up but this seems to have worked for both the KFHD 7 and the 8.9.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:57:06 PM PST
Janine White says:
Just got my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 yesterday. very excited, love it until..... I tried to add my exchange email to it. It ran through a process to do an encryption, which I was told is normal, and i had to create a password. Then the process to encrypt ran for a while and I was presented with a screen to enter my password to decrypt. However a keyboard would not pop up to allow me to enter the password. the Kindle was completely locked up. Amazon CS told me to try reset etc, which did nothing, still no keyboard to allow me to enter a password, completely locked out of the kindle. Amazon CS, were great, told me they would send me a new replacement in a few days. So... more to come when I get my new one.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 8:15:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 10:27:50 AM PST
This thing is hopeless and I do not like it at all, on the fire my cloud is empty I have to go to the web, then amazon, sign into my account, then open my cloud then none of the videos work anyway, playing email tag with amazon support is getting nowhere all they tell me is I can call them, time to return it, enough is enough, time for an i pad at least it works. I know I'm not the smartest guy in the world but a little help or how to from amazon would be nice. sorry just venting.

They did call me, I did download a program to transfer video to mp4, but like everything else on this piece of junk it didn't work, It is just getting to be to much trouble, there is no enjoyment with this Fire

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 8:47:21 AM PST
monilee says:
Hit the call me button on help for customer support.The phone will ring right away.They will spend as long as needed and talk you through a fix for your problem. IAM a computer dummy and they have always been very patient and will keep trying til your problem is resolved.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 11:21:36 AM PST
Celtic Selky says:
Meh - I just got my KF HD 8.9 - was so excited...and now I want to pull my hair out! :(
I took 2 days to download my music - and now the 8.9 is so slow - the amazon mp3 player keeps crashing...so very disappointing! I got the 8.9 with 32 GB thinking that would be plenty, since the Cloud says I am only using 4.5 GB...but my storage on the 8.9 indicates I only have 2.7 GB left! And that 10.7 GB are being used by 'Other'...whatever that is; probably the non-stop ads they run. Is anyone else having these issues?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:46:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 4:54:28 PM PST
Received kindle fire hd 8.9. no videos play not in browser, not instant prime videos. when i hit play screen goes dark and i have to hit the power button twice and it goes to lock screen. contacted customer service and after 45 minutes of trouble shooting, a hard reset and soft reset same issue. they told me to contact another number. after an additional 30 minutes they stated i have to wait for some application people to investigate the matter and in a few days would get back to me about a replacement if the item is found to be defective. Amazon normally has excellent customer service but their kindle division just plain sucks. They dont want to exchange defective kindles and now i have to return mine for a refund. I will never buy a kindle from them even if they drop the fire 8.9 to 199.00. These things are not worth it in my option. Their software has a lot of bugs. just the fact that in order to exchange (NOT RETURN) a defective kindle you cant use amazon returns you have to contact a kindle division and get approval says a lot in itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:06:34 AM PST
M. Jones says:
any response about that issue yet? I have the same problems and have since release day.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 12 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 9096 2 seconds ago
I've had enough 34 1 minute ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 2325 1 minute ago
how to retune books u get 76 2 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 2756 3 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - April 2015 27 8 minutes ago
delete city from weather app 1 8 minutes ago
RAoK Room 81 is ready to serve you..... 7714 9 minutes ago
April Informal Poll--What are you reading? 5 13 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2012
Latest post:  16 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions