Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Case Ideas?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 3:51:41 PM PST
Zorkel567 says:
So I have decided to get the Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and was curious what everyone else was buying for a case? Originally I was thinking of buying the Black Case with stand for $54.99, but now I am considering possibly finding a cheaper selection, as I don't need the stand. What is everyone buying for a case for their new Kindle Fire HD? Any particular reasons why?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:58:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 4:01:17 PM PST
Lisa says:
case crown, the 15 dollar one CaseCrown Ridge Standby Case for Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7-Inch -Built-in magnet for sleep / wake feature-Blue is awesome. I have it for my 7 and bought one for moms 8.9 that were getting her for xmas.My review is there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:15:44 PM PST
Zorkel567 says:
That one looks really nice, and is a great price. Does the case seem to be sturdy? And does it protect the Kindle Fire well?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:33:13 PM PST
metz1295 says:
i bought the $55 case. love it. not much bigger than the kindle itself. feels very sturdy. not worried about my new toy falling out.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:53:31 AM PST
I'm a big fan of Moko cases. They've announced one for the 8.9 but it hasn't been released yet and has little info on the product page: MoKo Slim-fit Folio Cover Case with built-in Stand for Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Inch 2012 Gen Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake/Sleep, WILL NOT Fit HDX 8.9 2013 and HDX 8.9 2014)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:08:30 AM PST
I have the Casecrown linked above and it's very nice.

I am waiting for this one (at the time, it was only $4.99) I thought I'd give it a try, too.

MiTAB Brown Faux Leather Case Cover Sleeve WITH WAKE & SLEEP FUNCTION For The Kindle Fire HD 8.9 " Inch 4G Amazon Tablet e-reader Device (Only fits the kindle fire HD 8.9) Android 4.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:10:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 8:30:29 AM PST
Lisa says:
Yes the Casecrown is very sturdy and attractive. Its not leather, though but still very nice. The premium you pay for real leather is a big one and doesnt really affect the quality of the construction. So you get fake leather here, but at a great price. 99% of the "leather" cases on Amazon are vinyl. Watch for that when purchasing.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:26:06 AM PST
Lisa says:
i hate the clip on cases. (moko and case crown make them) Had one for my 7. They dont fold back flat and are very uncomfortable in my hand. They're also quite heavy due to the metal clips.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:36:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 8:39:50 AM PST
Lisa says:
Honestly what i did with my 7 is bought 4 different cases and tried them all at home. (I have Amazon Prime, so free shipping there) Then I returned 3. All in one box, it still only cost me five bucks to ship them all back at once. ( use the self pay option) Best way to do it. Then you see first hand what you want with a minimum of hassle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:03:12 AM PST
Donna Rose says:
Lisa, that sounds like a plan. I see so many I like, hard to choose so I am waiting for reviews to start posting so I can make a decision.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:23:25 AM PST
PaddyM6303 says:
I ordered this one: Belkin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio Case for Kindle Fire HD 8.9", but i think I´d like one without a keyboard too, something cheap for everyday use.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:41:14 AM PST
Donna Rose says:
interesting, with a keyboard....I will have to think about that...thanks James

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:08:14 AM PST
PaddyM6303 says:
I thought that might come in handy when traveling.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:35:35 AM PST
mdholm says:
I have the moko clip on case for my 7. I'm not a fan. Lisa is right; it doesn't fold back flat and that bothers me.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:39:23 AM PST
Lark says:
Does anyone think having a case that automatically puts the HD Fire to sleep is necessary? I bought a cheaper one because I want to wait and see what Oberon will come out with for the larger Fire. The Oberon cases probably will not have a sleep feature either. Big deal or no?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:42:39 AM PST
deannah says:
I like it for the wake-up feature for the Paperwhite. The turn on switch seems a bit hard to operate so the wake-up works well for me. Not sure if it's necessary for the HD.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:54:06 AM PST
metz1295 says:
i actually like the idea of the sleep cover for the HD over the PW. if i need to get away from the HD for an hour or two, it's nice to know the battery won't drain while it's waiting for me to get back. with the PW, the much longer battery life makes it no big deal if it sits turned on without being used.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:57:41 AM PST
Emissary52 says:
Buying a sturdy, but inexpensive case, is important to me. So much so, that I've delayed purchasing an 8.9 inch Kindle until Acase, the brand of case I bought for my Touch and first generation Fire, comes out with some. These cases are well made and have shown almost no wear at all, in the almost one year that I've had them. I just can't see paying so much of a percentage of the cost of a Kindle for a case! Amazon seems to make the higher-priced cases for Kindles a lot easier to find than the cheaper ones! If you click on the Cases line on the 8.9 web page, all you see are the higher-priced cases. If you don't check out the Electronics category for e-reader cases, you are likely to miss many of the cheaper alternatives! I also have screen protectors for both of my Kindles and will wait for a greater selection of them, at lower costs, before I put my order in for the 8.9 Kindle. I don't care if I have to wait until after Xmas to get it. A little patience can save you a lot of money!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 2:05:49 PM PST
 nospin  says:
With my luck , I can't tempt fate.

I got CaseCrown Ridge Standby Case (Purple) for Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Inch (Built-in magnet for sleep / wake feature)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:45:09 PM PST
Somebody says:
I bought the Amazon cover in black. It seems like an ideal choice so far. I like the sleep/wake function and the snug fit with none of the bezel covered. Also considering getting the same cover in saddle tan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:32:10 PM PST
Donna Rose says:
what is the link to it???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:33:27 PM PST
Donna Rose says:
does it cover the corners? My friend had one cover that the corners were not covered and she dropped and the screen cracked?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:28:30 PM PST
 nospin  says:
The corners are protected but not solid.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:38:02 PM PST
Somebody says:
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Standing Leather Case, Onyx Black (will not fit HDX models)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:18:31 PM PST
Donna Rose says:
thanks
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1384 3 hours ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
2015 Fire unable to see books on SD after factory reset 31 15 seconds ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3918 2 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2142 17 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 602 40 minutes ago
Books appear upside down on Kindle app on android phone 35 1 hour ago
kindle fire "white screen' faded?? 13 1 hour ago
MSDS for Kindle Fire Battery 10 1 hour ago
Remove the Goodreads Button 39 2 hours ago
OASIS: Please Amazon! 108 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  May 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions