Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat: Monday, Dec 31, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 172 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2012 11:37:46 PM PST
Lyn says:
´¯`°¤.¸.¤.¸.¤°´¯` Happy Everything Dance´¯`°¤.¸.¤.¸.¤°´¯`

Happy Last Day of 2012
Happy Hogmanay 2012
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woof, my name is Bailey.

It is Hogmanay Time which means it is Time to Celebrate. Originally Robb had us heading to Edinburgh for Hogmanay but I decided to give the Alpha and Omega in my life the day off and they left for Linlithgow. So I am inviting all of you FB&Cers to jump on your Carpets and head to Bailie's Public House (or Pub for short). Robb will do Edinburgh / Scotland later in 2013.

Fortunately most everything was already done so all I have to do is post.

Woof

´¯`°¤.¸.¤.¸.¤°´¯` Happy Everything Dance ´¯`°¤.¸.¤.¸.¤°´¯`

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:39:09 PM PST
Lyn says:
Good Morning.
Good Afternoon.
Or Good Evening.

You are welcome one and all to come in and join us as we attempt to keep our kindles fat and sassy with frequent one-click feedings.

Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You want to be where people can see
Our troubles are all the same
You want to go where everybody knows your name

Aint it great we have someplace to go

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。
★。\|/ ★★ \|/ ★★ \|/ ★★ \|/ ★
..............HAPPY........LAST DAY of 2012.........
★。\|/ ★★ \|/ ★★ \|/ ★★ \|/ ★
*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Second things second

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link
to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors"
area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Birthday and Anniversary link. *

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!225&authkey=!AKPFhMjMoPLl7y8

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/
http://us.kinlib.com
dailyfreebooks.com
`
To get today's updates:

Kinlib:
US: http://us.kinlib.com/feed/
UK: http://uk.kinlib.com/feed/
*The "feed" link provides all available updates.

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STARTER SCHEDULE

Starter Schedule:

Robb - Tuesday, Jan. 1, Start Time: After 11pm PST
Courtney - Wednesday, Jan. 2 Start Time: About 12 EST
Judy D - Thursday, Jan. 3, Start Time around 11 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Jan. 4 Start Time: 12:30am PST
DonnaBeeGood - Saturday, January 5 Start Time midnight MST
Courtney - Wednesday, Jan. 9 Start Time: About 12 EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Jan. 11 Start Time: 12:30am PST

Open Dates:

Sunday, Jan. 6
Monday, Jan. 7
Tuesday, Jan. 8
Thursday, Jan. 10
Saturday, Jan. 12

///@@@@@@@@*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***@@@@@@@@\\\
...........Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Book Discussion:
Our next book discussion is on January 10, 2013 about the book ** NOT FREE In Deep Voodoo (Mojo, Louisiana humorous mystery series #1) ** NOT FREE also found in ** NOT FREE Love Can Be Murder (boxed set of humorous mysteries) ** NOT FREE.

Here is the link to yesterday's thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_t_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=6&cdThread=TxQJN46VFQN0LR#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:39:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 11:43:05 PM PST
Lyn says:
´¯`°¤.¸.¤.¸.¤°´¯` Happy Hogmanay ´¯`°¤.¸.¤.¸.¤°´¯`

And I betcha you were feeling cheated and sorry for yourself because it is story day and Leo wasn't starting and you are stuck with me. Well. You were right about being stuck with me but you were wrong about there not being a story ....
New Beginnings*

Tick tock, tick tock...eyes stared almost impatiently at the big wooden clock that hung on the wall. Life seemed to stand still as the last seconds of the year were passing away. Noise all around started to taper as everyone held their breath and then eagerly counted in one go - 3, 2, 1...midnight! A roar of cheers erupted, fireworks exploded to decorate the skies as family, friends and loved ones exchanged hugs, kisses while wishing one another the best of new beginnings.

In the midst of this ecstatic commotion stood Eve, all alone at the back of the room...unnoticed in the dim lights. Her brown eyes trying to take in all there is to see. She was consumed in her own thoughts that were whizzing in her head, helping her not to focus on her sorry lonely state.

As she watched the exaggerated happiness planted on so many faces around she wondered why they all seemed so thrilled. Was it such a great thing to lose yet another year? Were they honestly that happy to set new goals and see them fall through once again? Surely most of what they sought out to accomplish in the now past year was more than likely unconquered or merely achieved. So why the elusive excitement, and extra show of public emotion? It just didn't make any sense to her.

Eve wasn't in the mood for celebrating growing another year older while feeling not much wiser, or more beautiful or talented. She removed one of her unruly curls away from her eyes while mumbling to herself..."why does it have to be a "new year "? Why isn't it more like a "year end"?"

She couldn't help over hearing the couple standing in the corner talking about new things they want to achieve this year, they seemed so confident and happy...the way their eyes sparkled with enthusiasm the way they seemed to glow. She couldn't help but feel a little jealous for the special connection they shared. How much she longed for a similar passion - yet with every passing day that dream slowly faded. She no longer believed she would ever awaken to a satisfying reality.

So she hated her job, not to mention her evil boss whom took every chance to undermine all of her hard work. Sure she thought of quitting like a million times and go to another place where she would be more appreciated, yet she never revved enough courage to actually do it. The final straw that depressed her more than anything else, was that she will be turning 27 next month and she was still alone and living with her parents!

Life seemed cruel, unfair and bleak. The prospects of a brighter tomorrow didn't exist not even in her thoughts. She watched in silence the many happy couples dancing with their arms around each other, they didn't seem to mind letting go of another year and embracing a new one.

The music... her thoughts... the atmosphere almost put her in a trance - no longer was she part of that celebration...she was lost in thought. She was so deep in thought that she didn't even notice him standing there right in front of her.

He was saying something, was he speaking to her? He was smiling. She looked around her to see if he was talking to someone else... no, no she was the only one standing there. She looked at him again. He spoke again, she still couldn't quite make out his words, his smile and warm dark eyes took her by surprise. She felt warm, shaken...almost alive.

"Would you like to dance?" his kind voice asked. He held out his hand. She felt dumbfounded not able to react to such a simple request. She wasn't even sure if she understood right. Was this handsome man asking her to dance?

She felt him take her hand and lead her to the dance floor. She didn't know how she got there. Her legs seemed to have a will of their own. She felt him close to her, his scent captured her. She trembled as she looked at him - he was still smiling back at her.

They didn't say a word. They didn't need to. She felt that sometimes things unspoken say so much more. She let the music guide her to a pleasant place. A place she liked to be in, though she feared new territory.

The music stopped. She almost felt her heart stop with it. Now what? She stood there afraid to move.

And just like that her attitude turned around. In her mind she counted her blessings. She was young and healthy, surrounded by a family who loved her. She had a job that challenged her and gave her room to grow, to improve and a boss who pushed her to fulfill her true potential.

"Happy new year." he told her.

She felt herself blush, "Yes, I believe it is going to be a happy new year."

*Not My Story - because if it was, it would have been about dawgs

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:40:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 11:44:24 PM PST
Lyn says:

For most Americans, Christmas is more than a day - it's an entire month of festivities, reflecting our multiethnic and multi-religious culture with an enormous amount of both common and uncommon traditions. It's hard to imagine all the planning, parties, gifts and good times geared towards a holiday other than Christmas.

But in Scotland, they do just that. If you want to party hearty, celebrate a low-key Christmas at home, then get your plane tickets to arrive in Edinburgh around the 28th of December and plan to stay at least through January 3 (you'll need that long to recover!).

In Scotland, all the Scots' love of dancing, music, mischievous merry-making and, of course, whisky drinking, come together in the biggest party of the year - Hogmanay (New Year's Eve to the rest of us).

Consider the tremendous influence of Scottish traditions on our own New Year's Eve celebrations - what song do we all sing? Auld Lang Syne, naturally. What list do we all make on January 1? Our New Year's resolutions, a tradition invented by the Scots (yes, really). Why are guests told to BYOB? Because the Scots have a custom called "first footing" which consists of a handsome young man being the first to cross our threshold as soon as the "bells ring" at midnight, bearing gifts of bread or meat (food for the new year), coal (warmth for the new year), and, what else? Whisky - drink for the New Year and by far the most important and consistently unforgotten contribution.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:40:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 7:21:57 AM PST
Lyn says:

Bailie's Pub Hogmanay Celebrations 2012

Welcome to the Bailie, a lively traditional pub. We're particularly proud of our cask ales, with a regular rotation from a wide variety of breweries, mainly Scottish but we regularly welcome guests from further afield, particularly during our month long beer festivals.

Come & join me for a fantastic Hogmanay Night of celebrations!

The evening entertainment will include an excellent live Ceilidh band and Piper which will certainly ensure you are in the real Hogmanay spirit! The finale to the evening will be a fantastic firework display off the end of the pier, weather permitting short of a Force 10 gale! Our Hogmanay menu with evening entertainment is usually £75.00 per person but tonight is free to FB&C members. Just show me your card at the door.

The welcome starts at 7.00pm with entre drinks of Bucks Fizz, Orange Juice or Champagne, you have the chance to mingle in the Bothy Bar with fellow FB&C revelers or to just chill out and enjoy the atmosphere. The meal starts at around 7.30pm, music from 10 pm, Stovies and oatcakes complete the food at 1.00am after the Bells. The band plays up to 2am, however our license is until 4a.m.

Hogmanay Menu 2012

~ Entrée drinks ~

~ Starters ~
Sweet Potato, Chilli and Coconut Soup (v) with a freshly baked roll
Haggis Filo Parcel with Stornaway Black Pudding & Whisky Cream
Skink with Crusty Bread
Creamy Leek Chicken and Bacon Pot Pies
French Camembert coated in a Crisp Beer Batter (V) with Tossed Salad & Cranberry Jam

~ Mains ~
Roasted Beef Medallions Accompanied by caramelised shallots, spinach and dauphinoise potatoes
Steak and Ale Pie with Creamy Mash and Seasonal Greens
Pan Fried Chicken Breast with Crushed Potato in a Bacon and Pea Broth
Vegetarian Platter (V) A mixed selection including:Vegetarian Haggis, neeps `n' Tatties, Mixed vegetable omelette, humus w. crudités,grilled goats cheese tartlet, Brie, tomato & basil, Chilli Courgette Ribbons, chutney, roll & Butter

~ Desserts ~
Sticky Toffee Pudding Served warm with cream
Spotted Dick Pudding Served warm with cream
Dark chocolate crème brulee with chocolate dipped shortbread
Cranachan Cheesecake Chocolate Brownie with Clotted Cream Ice cream and Cranberry Coulis
Whisky Bread & Butter Pudding Crème Anglaise & Cranberry Ice Cream

Selection of Scottish Cheeses & Biscuits
Smoked Arran Cheddar, Dunsyre Blue, Clava (Brie Style)

~ Stovies ~
Served at 1am to welcome in the New Year & give you sustenance until 4am!

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:45:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 12:24:34 AM PST
Lyn says:

Leo - Monday Jan 7 - has your name on it if you want it. Please?????????????????????????????? I'll send you one of my dawg bones....

WOOF

Bailey

....... (░)
......../█\
......./██\
....../███\
...../████\
....{█████}
....//..o..o..\\
...(...(_O_)...)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 12:31:08 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Morning Bailey thanks for the start - I was not sure which of your posts I should click "reply" to ;-)
Of course I was a bit disappointed that I was going to miss out on a Leo story but loved yours, even though it was not about dawgs.
You make me homesick - Spotty Dick is something I have not had in years and loved it when I was young at boarding school, served with custard, stock puddings together with roly-poly pudding too.
Since it is a grey rainy morning here it is nice to know that there will be proper festivities in the local FB&C Pub "Bailie's" for me to join in and celebrate Hogmanay, the menu sounds great and I know the company will be wonderful too.
By the way welcome back to all things IT and the web.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:38:09 AM PST
Lyn says:
Woof
I had wondered about having it on the menu...but it is soooo good.
We changed neighbors and so no longer have an internet that we can borrow. But Eve and I had fun chasing each other around. Do you have Hogmanay or or is that more a Scottish thing?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:05:06 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Hi Bailey,
Hogmanay is definitely a Scottish thing. My father studied at Edinburgh University and my parents started their married life there, with their two Scottish Terriers, and my brothers both went to school in Scotland, (the girls of the family went to school in Sussex ! long drives for the parents on sports days !!), my eldest sister worked in Edinburgh for several years too, therefore Hogmanay was well known in our family but not really celebrated by us.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:13:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 1:13:40 AM PST
redandwhite says:
By the way I think that you will find, when you go to the UK, that traditional Spotted Dick will have changed to a sponge pudding, since most of the old fashioned suet puddings are considered to be very non-PC, i.e. they are considered to be unhealthy nowadays since the base of many of those puddings was suet (which in my mind is what makes them sooooo good) but cholesterol and calories are a thing of the past - pity

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 1:19:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 1:22:29 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Traditional Danish meal for NYE: Boiled cod with mustard sauce
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=http://www.dk-kogebogen.dk/opskrift2/visopskrift.php%3Fid%3D18093&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dkogt%2Btorsk%26hl%3Den%26tbo%3Dd%26biw%3D1107%26bih%3D550&sa=X&ei=_lfhUP2kGcfMswaZyIHQDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQ7gEwAA

ETA - wow I love google translate ;-) you get some wonderful expressions !! (hope that the above link shows in English !)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 1:29:57 AM PST
A few picks to start the day...

The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set (The Fifth Avenue Series) - Mystery

Look beneath all the power and all the wealth that represents New York City's Fifth Avenue, and you'll find greed, blood, revenge. In the international best-selling thriller "Fifth Avenue," each intermingles within a revered society that is unprepared for what's in store for it when one man finally strikes in an effort to destroy another man for murdering his wife thirty-one years ago.

Louis Ryan is that man. George Redman, his wife, two daughters and their close friends are his targets. Both men are self-made billionaires who came from nothing to stake their claim to Fifth Avenue. But when Louis Ryan hires an international assassin to literally rip the Redman family apart, a series of events that can't be stopped catapults them all through a fast-paced, hard-edged thriller in which nobody is safe.

Secrets are revealed. Sex lives are exposed. The Mafia get involved. And George's two daughters, Celina and Leana Redman, come to the forefront. More than anyone, it's they who are caught in the throes of their father's past as Louis Ryan's blind desire to kill them all takes surprising turns in his all-out effort to see them dead.

RUNNING OF THE BULLS:

In the second book in the international best-selling "Fifth Avenue Series," a former Wall Street titan who robbed the world of billions is now out of prison. Good for him, but not for those who put him there. Now, they are dying grisly deaths by the hands of two hired assassins.

Investigating is private investigator Marty Spellman, who soon learns that all isn't what it seems as the twists pile up along with sheer number of the dead.

Spellman's life is put on the line. His family is threatened. No one is who they appear to be. Who can he trust as the bulls of Wall Street start to run as the two assassins--Vincent Spocatti and Carmen Gragera--fully ignite their killing spree?

FROM MANHATTAN WITH LOVE:

An outcast billionaire's daughter is caught at the wrong place at the wrong time.

An international assassin questions her sanity when she falls in love with the very assassin she's charged to assassinate.

What happens when each collide? Chaos. Murder. Love. Revenge.

And redemption.

In this taut, 35,000-word novella, which is a prequel to the upcoming third novel in the Fifth Avenue series, "Park Avenue," both women come together for the first time in an explosive story that threatens each of their lives, particularly when one woman breaks her own rules and dares to fall in love.

In "From Manhattan with Love," she soon learns what she always feared. When it comes to real danger, there's nothing more dangerous than love itself.

The Battered Heiress Blues - Contemporary Fiction

When the life of her child is threatened, philanthropist Julia Spencer is faced with a most difficult decision- do nothing, thereby saving herself or forge ahead and lose everything she holds dear. While one child is spared, another is lost forever.

Surviving a brutal assault in a small and desolate Peruvian town, Julia wakes to find that her unborn child has perished in a desperate, violent attack. Returning to the safety of her family's Savannah estate, she prepares to bury her tragically murdered son. Forced to confront the choices that led to her son's death, she is bombarded with resolving the details of her poorly conceived marriage, estrangement from a powerful and disapproving patriarch, and navigating the sudden renewal of a long forgotten flame- Henry Walker. Unable to find her way out of the grief and sorrow, those who profess love eventually leave one by one, but not before a precious gift is left behind that will change everything.

Starr County Line - Mystery

The sleepy border town of Pinto, TX, seemed like the perfect place for Sheriff JD McKinnon to try and uphold the law in the 1960's. But by 1975, economic hardship eats away at his small, impoverished town and the surging wave of cartel drug crime threatens to wash it away completely.

When an unidentified Mexican national is arrested at the scene of a local man's brutal murder, Sheriff McKinnon and his deputy Roe Robinson are thrown into a maelstrom of intrigue and violence protecting the citizens of Pinto as ruthless forces assail them from all sides.

From Manhattan with Love and Revenge (Boxed Set) (The Fifth Avenue Series) - Mystery

NOTE: This is the boxed set for the best-selling novella "From Manhattan with Love" and its sequel, the best-selling full-length novel, "From Manhattan with Revenge."
Description for "From Manhattan with Love":

An outcast billionaire's daughter is caught at the wrong place at the wrong time.

An international assassin questions her sanity when she falls in love with the very assassin she's charged to assassinate.

What happens when each collide? Chaos. Murder. Love. Revenge.

And redemption.

In this taut, thrilling novella, which is part of the best-selling "Fifth Avenue" series, both women come together for the first time in an explosive story that threatens each of their lives, particularly when one woman breaks her own rules and dares to fall in love.

In "From Manhattan with Love," she soon learns what she always feared. When it comes to real danger, there's nothing more dangerous than love itself.

Description for "From Manhattan with Revenge":

Carmen Gragera is a gifted international assassin.

Now, through unusual means, she seeks her revenge against a powerful syndicate for the death of someone she loved dearly.

Assisting her is an eccentric, Park Avenue-based seasonings heiress and a 103-year-old former psychiatrist whose contacts run deep. Also joining her is fellow assassin Vincent Spocatti, with whom Carmen has worked before, and for whom she has the utmost respect.

But is the respect mutual?

In "From Manhattan with Revenge," where there are so many twists, they eventually form a noose that whip around Carmen's neck, revenge comes at a cost higher than she ever anticipated.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 1:33:43 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Hi Lover of Books
Nice to see you and I hope today is a good day for you

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 1:37:40 AM PST
Happy Hogmanay to you Bailey, Robb and Lyn! Happy New Years Eve as well. Great start Robb!

In case anyone over indulges here is a recipe that may help.....

HANGOVER JUICE

3 medium-size tomatoes
2 celery stalks
1 lemon
1 1/2-inch piece of ginger
1 jalapeño pepper (remove the seeds to make it less spicy)
1/4 of one large cucumber

In a fruit-and-vegetable juicer, juice all ingredients. Pour juice into glass, and enjoy immediately.

Makes one 16-ounce serving.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 2:01:55 AM PST
redandwhite says:
@ Biscay
eReaderIQ shows 32 Free Biographies & Memoirs since midnight - so it may well be a big shopping day for you !!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 2:12:16 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ Bailey I haven't read further yet but I am expecting some recipes to go with this menu. Steak and Ale Pie.

Crushed Potaote in Bacon and Pea Broth.

You do not need to include the recipe for Haggis. I've had it and never ever want to again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 2:15:25 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ redandwhite. Sometimes I get tired of PC food. If something is supposed to lard, suet, or 2 lbs of butter, by goodness put it in there. Not that I have ever had original Spotted Dick, maybe I can talk hubby into a trip up North.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 2:24:09 AM PST
redandwhite says:
@ 4Nbahu
My motto is "A little of what you fancy, does you good"
I can't be doing with all the modern lean everything and 0 calorie stuff - no taste in any of it. If you don't want to get fat, eat smaller portions. Sometimes I wonder how the modern day people think, I mean how did our parents ever survive long enough to have us and full and happy lives, whilst eating all the "dangerous" foods ;-)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 2:53:07 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Kinlib has just updated
Update US 1212310246 (460)
http://us.kinlib.com/new/82b6/

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:09:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 3:12:55 AM PST
Oops , have to remember the thread jumps each day. Spotted Dick sounds rather odd as far as a menu item. I know haggis and the idea is repulsive lol. We have weird foods in old Jewish customs as well. Galeretta is one of them aka petchah. My husband loves this stuff as it reminds him of his mothers polish background, but I'd rather eat knives lol. Here is recipe

2 calf feet, cut by your Kosher butcher in one-inch cross sections
cold water, to cover calves feet
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
5 fresh garlic cloves
3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
salt ,black pepper
5 lemons, sliced into wedgesDirections:

1.Thoroughly rinse calves feet with water and place in a stockpot with enough water to cover
2. Bring the vessel to a boil and remove any scum that appears on the top.

3.Drain the calves feet and cover again with a change of cold water. Bring to a boil again

4.Lower the burner to the lowest setting possible. Add the diced carrot and onion, salt and pepper. Cook on the lowest possible heat for a minimum of six hours, preferably overnight until any adherent meat, cartilage, tendons and ligaments separate easily from the bones.

5.Reserve everything but the bones and discard the bones. Taste the broth and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.

6.Chop the meat, cartilage, softened tendons and ligaments into small pieces (being careful not to miss any bone fragments and to use only those pieces that can be easily cut with the knife) and mix with minced garlic. Alternatively, take the larger pieces and put with cloves into a food processor and process until well incorporated and a ball of lumpy paste is present in the food processor.

7.Place the sliced eggs neatly in the bottom of a rectangular glass or enameled baking dish.

8.Over the eggs, evenly distribute the meat/garlic mixture

9.Over this, pour the broth including the onions and carrots. Depth of the broth should be no less than one inch though an inch and a half is ideal.

10.Allow mixture to cool on the counter or stove top briefly and then place on a shelf in refrigerator to sit, undisturbed, until the mixture solidifies. Any fat coming to the top of the mixture may be removed by skimming with the edge of a knife after mixture gels firmly

11.Following solification, the mixture should be cut into squares. It is served cold as an appetizer or as a cool snack. Garnish with a slice of lemon wedge which may be squeezed over the aspic for more traditional flavor.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 3:17:50 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Hi Chaya
Sounds a lot like a traditional Danish dish called "Sylte" except the danish dish is made from the pigs head - delightful thought - but actually is really nice, eaten sliced and on rye bread with sliced pickled beetroot and mustard

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 3:25:05 AM PST
Red white, Chaya gulps at yet another menu item lol. I'm just a simple ole girl. I'm happy with my chicken soup , I grew up with French family so those are more my comfort foods.

My husband says I'm picky but I don't think so. I'm just not fond of eating things too far removed from my comfort zone. Spices do not phase me or even new ideas for most natural foods. I just prefert not to nosh on feet and heads lol. That includes fish heads on rosh hashanah lol

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 4:07:13 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ Chaya, please don't be offended, but I am not copying that recipe...actually I am hoping I can forget it...:)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 4:57:16 AM PST
Suze says:
@ Bailey

Woof, woof to you too! I hope your new year is great with lots of beach runs and crazy digging in the sand, cozy naps and treats you LIKE!! : )

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 5:23:15 AM PST
Lyn says:
Entre drinks of Bucks Fizz

The Buck's Fizz is similar to the popular Champagne cocktail, the Mimosa. The difference between the two is that in this drink there is no triple sec, or orange liqueur and the ratios are reversed. It will make a simple, yet elegant brunch cocktail and is also perfect for celebrating any special occasion for which plain Champagne just will not do. If you prefer a dry sparkling wine will also work well in the Buck's Fizz.

Ingredients:

3 1/2 oz orange juice
1 1/2 oz Champagne
orange twist for garnish

Preparation:

Build the ingredients in the order given in a Champagne flute.
Garnish with the orange twist
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1335 5 hours ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3794 2 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4806 10 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9730 14 minutes ago
Kindle "Special Editions"? 9 25 minutes ago
another critical update? 10 37 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7946 43 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 549 45 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2060 52 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9321 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  172
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions