Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Has anyone heard about the credit for over charging on some books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2013 4:51:42 PM PST
Was notified last year that some people were charged more for books than they should have been. Something to do with the publishes. Was going to give Kindle credit starting in Feb.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 4:57:28 PM PST
Not quite. The court is supposed to decide if the settlement is acceptable some time this month. If they say it is, then the credit will show up some time after that. Just don't expect it to be huge.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 4:59:57 PM PST
https://ebooksagsettlements.com/

When will I get a payment?

Answer: Payments will be distributed if the Court grants final approval to the Settlements and after any appeals are resolved. If the Court approves the Settlements after a hearing on February 8th, 2013, there may be appeals. We don't know how much time it could take to resolve any appeals that may be filed.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 6:12:58 PM PST
Thank you both. Just didn't know if it was even true or not.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 12:08:51 AM PST
And even if there is to be a payout, it will be
a) only for US customers (even though foreign customers paid the same prices)
b) any payment will come out of the few percent left from the settlement after the lawyers and other costs are paid, which will be pennies to the dollar at most.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 12:19:58 AM PST
I think in this case, since it was brought by the Justice Dept. and there are no plaintiff attorneys, that people in the class will receive a specific refund based on what they purchased. At least as far as I recall.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 1:40:32 AM PST
musicmomma says:
If I remeber correctly, you can only use the money to purchase other ebooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 2:05:47 AM PST
the funds will consist of credits to your Amazon account, that much I know. I don't know if there are other restrictions beyond that, but there may well be, depending on the wording of the settlement and appeal decisions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 2:07:17 AM PST
yes, a refund based on their purchase. But what percentage of the penalty decided in the settlement will go towards those refunds and what to other things (court fees, etc.) I don't know. In the past such things often turned out to leave precious little for the "class" in class action cases.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 2:47:02 AM PST
I agree. The last time I qualified for a class action, if I jumped through all the loops (produced receipts and filled out multiple page forms), I would qualify for less than $3. This time, it looks like, Amazon will use their records but unless you have purchased $1000's of the books that qualify, I wouldn't expect more than a dollar or maybe two.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 5:34:15 AM PST
It was something like $1 for every ebook costing more than a certain amount and $2 for books costing more.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 5:41:56 AM PST
The settlement will be between 30 cents and $1.32 for each book purchased from one of the publishers ( Hachette, Simon & Schuster and Harper Collins) in the suit. We'll be able to use it towards e-books or paper books.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 6:16:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 6:19:17 AM PST
The settlement is being paid for by the settling pubs, but covers books purchased from all 5 publishers involved in the suit. It is unknown what the final amounts of the settlement will be, but it is currently estimated to be $1.32 per NYT Bestseller and $0.30 per non-NYT Bestseller.

From the settlement website:

If you purchased one or more E-books from April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012 that were published by any of the five Publishers (listed in Question 2 of the FAQ's), you may be eligible for a partial refund of the purchase price.

Here are five publishers who, as a group, are referred to in this Notice as "Publishers."

The Settling Publishers are the following publishers:

Hachette Book Group, Inc. ("Hachette");
HarperCollins Publishers LLC ("HarperCollins"); and
Simon & Schuster, Inc. and Simon & Schuster Digital Sales, Inc. ("Simon & Schuster").

The Non-Settling Publishers are the following publishers:

Penguin Group (USA) Inc. ("Penguin"); and
Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC, known as Macmillan ("Macmillan").

At this time, it is unknown exactly how much of the Settlement Fund a purchaser of E-books will receive. The Attorneys General have submitted a "plan of distribution," which is a plan to divide the Settlement Fund among consumers. The Court will determine whether to approve this plan when considering final approval of the Settlements. If the Court approves the plan of distribution, it will be posted on the Settlement Website.

The amount of your credit or check will be affected by how many qualifying E-books you purchased. There will be two levels of payments, based on categories of books. While the exact amount to be paid per E-book in each category is not yet finalized, the best estimates of payments for each E-book you purchased are as follows:

New York Times bestsellers: $1.32 per E-book. These include titles that were New York Times bestsellers at any time during the claim period.

Non-New York Times bestsellers titles: $0.30 per E-book. These E-books include any titles that were not New York Times bestsellers during the claim period.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 6:17:59 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
and I think the $1.32 was for bestsellers

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 11:15:03 AM PST
Thanks all.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 11:17:24 AM PST
I probably won't see a dime. I tend to stay away from "best sellers."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 11:30:55 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I didn't get a letter, so I won't be getting anything even though I used a US based credit card

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 11:32:34 AM PST
I got the letter some time ago, when they first went out. I didn't keep it though. If I do get anything, it won't be much.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 11:35:01 AM PST
And residents of Minnesota don't qualify because their AG declined to participate in the class-action suit.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 11:42:22 AM PST
Was he/she a stock holder in one of the publishing companies?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 11:45:49 AM PST
What a suspicious mind you have................just like mine!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1336 47 minutes ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2071 1 minute ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9325 4 minutes ago
Purchased 13 books in the last 2 weeks. None showing on my kindle 17 4 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3796 5 minutes ago
Active Content for Kindle 7th Gen 13 5 minutes ago
Amazon Fire TV Voice Remote Updates 1 9 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7948 19 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1545 20 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 556 33 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions