Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle question

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 1:28:39 PM PST
jmerritt says:
i was thinking of buying a kindle but first i have a question? how do you get the internet to work on these? is there an extra service you have to buy with these or something? how does that work? i don't see anything about it in the description.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:33:48 PM PST
The Kindles work over WiFi or cellular (in some cases) networks. If you have WiFi in your home, you simply enter the password (once) when the Kindle locates the signal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:38:40 PM PST
The Blade says:
Which Kindle? There are several different models, some more internet capable than others.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:48:13 PM PST
jmerritt says:
i was looking at the kindle fire model.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:50:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:50:38 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
With the Fires, you need to connect to wi-fi to get the internet to work. If you already have internet service and a wi-fi router, there's nothing else to buy. One can also connect over the 3G/4G cell phone network, but you do need to purchase a separate data plan with that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:55:14 PM PST
jmerritt says:
so i would need like a data plan with verizon or something like that?
all i have is regular internet(dsl) as i live out in the country. not sure if wi-fi is available out here or not?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:57:11 PM PST
quilt lover says:
It's available if you have a wifi router in your home, do you use wifi for anything else, laptop maybe?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:58:53 PM PST
jmerritt says:
no. all i have is a desktop. no cell phone yet but will shortly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:59:00 PM PST
New Girl says:
Jmerritt, Wifi is just the term used when you create a wireless "hot spot" within your house using a wireless router and the DSL you already have. All you will need is to buy a router such as Linksys E1200 Wireless-N Router which is very user friendly, and you will be good to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:03:35 PM PST
jmerritt says:
ok thanks new girl. i don't have much experiance with this wireless stuff. but i'm sure i can figure it out with litte time. this is new to me.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:06:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 2:07:39 PM PST
jmerritt says:
i may soon be on the road alot. how does one make it work then? i'm guessing like a data plan like verizon?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:06:34 PM PST
Tinker-bella says:
Just to clarify one point that may be confusing... the only Kindle Fire model that has a 4G connection capability is the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd) which connects with the AT&T cellular network to provide a wireless connection without having a wifi router at home.

That comes with a couple of caveats...

1) You must be within AT&T's coverage area
2) You must purchase a data plan with AT&T (not any other carrier); Amazon is offering a $50.00 plan for the first year, but it is only 250mb of data a month, which means you will not be able to use it for streaming movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:08:35 PM PST
New Girl says:
Many of the newer products out like the Linksys router I linked to are designed to be used by people who are completely new to this technology. I am sure that you will be fine. It is a very simple set up and once it is working you will be able to connect any wireless device, like the Kindle Fire, in your home.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:09:26 PM PST
To expand on what "New Girl" said... wi-fi is a wireless signal that YOU provide in your home so you can access the Internet with devices like a Kindle. You already have an Internet connection via your DSL. All you need to do is attach a wi-fi router to the DSL cable modem, and it will take your internet connection and broadcast it throughout your house.

Some Internet service providers will provide a free wi-fi router as well... you may want to call whoever you get your DSL service from and ask if they have a wi-fi router they can provide... but DON'T pay a monthly fee for it, you can always just buy your own router like the one linked above, then find a tech-savvy teenager or person to help connect it. Installing them yourself is pretty easy though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:10:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 2:11:22 PM PST
quilt lover says:
Now that you are talking specifics, which kindle are you thinking of? You can connect with cell coverage depending on which kindle you are talking about. So, are you interested in a reading only type device or one of the Fire tablets?

ETA: OK, I see you did say Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:11:40 PM PST
New Girl says:
It depends on your needs. A lot of places like McDonalds, Starbucks and a lot of Hotel Chains now have free WiFi available so if you are in range of a hot spot you will not need anything extra. For other times when you are out of range you could check with a cell phone provider such as Verizon to see if they have a option that allows you to use your existing cell phone to create a wifi hot spot. Many companys also sell a wireless device called a MiFi that will do the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:13:22 PM PST
jmerritt says:
fire tablets.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:15:57 PM PST
Ed G says:
jmerritt, just my two cents:

I don't like cellular tablet devices. I prefer to get wi-fi only (they're cheaper and they don't tie you to a specific cellular carrier).

When you need cellular connectivity, you can get a mi-fi device that is compatible with your preferred carrier. This can be a dedicated device (usually pretty small) or it can be a function of a smart cell phone. A mi-fi device connects to the internet over the cellular network and generates a wi-fi signal that your tablet (or other device such as a laptop) can pick up.

Regardless, cellular connectivity isn't cheap. That AT&T intro plan is probably enough to check email and VERY light web surfing. Plans generally range from $20 to $50 per month, and even with those you won't want to start streaming long movies (but short youtube videos would be OK).

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:22:34 PM PST
jmerritt says:
i don't care so much about streamming videos. i mainly want it to check emails and to be able to bid on loads while i'm out hauling loads.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 3:02:56 PM PST
Mary Ellen says:
When you're traveling many hotels offer WiFi and with a lot of them it's free. Others will have a charge. You'd need to check about that when making reservations. Some hotels will have free WiFi in public places, like the lobby but will charge for private usage in rooms. I have a first generation Fire and I enjoy using it while traveling. It's great to watch videos on when there's nothing on TV! If I only travel with one device (aside from the cell phone) it will be the Fire.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:14:55 PM PST
Also, if you're talking about road trips, a lot of truck stops and rest areas along highways have free wifi.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:46:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 4:46:50 PM PST
The Blade says:
If you want to bid on loads while you're on the road, then 4G might be worth looking into. Since a good connection could very well mean real $$$ to you, the 4G almost becomes an investment for you. WiFi would work and you'll find lots of places (McDonalds usually has free WiFi that you can often access from the parking lot) but if timing is an issue for your bids, then 4G will allow you to access the 'net from many more places.

Best of luck!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions