Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

My Grandkids dont have credit cards!! how do they download the "free apps" and books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2011 8:40:23 PM PST
I bought five of these kindle fires for my grandchildren and they can't download the free apps without a credit card and I am NOT giving them mine. What do they do?? help!

Had I known it required a credit card to download anything I would NOT have purchased these. In addition I don['t want to use ONE click on my own and am thinking of returning all of them because there is no solution that I know of for them or for me.

I love my kindle, I just want to control how i pay for things and need to know if there is a solution to not having a credit card for the children.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 8:41:56 PM PST
Purchase prepaid credit cards with an expiration date to set up an account for them and then fund the account with gift cards.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 8:51:09 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
You have to have a credit card of some sort, wether prepaid or not, on file. This is how Amazon determines if you are a US resident and are allowed to download the aps. They cannot sell thier content outside the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 8:54:14 PM PST
the problem is that I purchased five of them for five of my grandkids, none of which have credit cards as they are too young, the smallest amount of the prepaid visa's are 25 bucks a piece, which I cannot afford for them, these were their "big" present, and none of the families have money right now. gift cards after the credit cards? I am on a fixed income and cant do that either. I dont have that kind of money for the kids. why do they have to have credit cards for Free APPs and free books? I didnt know this and no one said it before the purchase. maybe they should have "kindle for kids accounts" that we could fund for as little as five dollars? or maybe they should "require" a credit card for the free stuff. geez!!

thank you for replying to me. I dont know what to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 8:56:46 PM PST
Kessa says:
I dont know what to do.
Return them & get your money back - the same thing anyone would do if they bought a product that didn't meet their needs.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 8:58:14 PM PST
E says:
Found this blog helpful when I was setting up my kids. . .

He gives a "test" credit card number that paypal uses (it's a fake) that you can enter and it will block purchases.

http://www.dragonblogger.com/setup-kindle-fire-kids/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 9:00:45 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 3, 2012 5:53:29 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 9:02:32 PM PST
Okay, that's not what UPLOAD even means and you can't "gift" apps or video.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 9:05:05 PM PST
Ennui says:
What James said - the CC is necessary as apps can only be downloaded by US residents.

One solution might be to register all 5 of the Fires on one account, and use the lowest price prepaid CC you can find as the credit card for that account. Make sure the prepaid CC you use has an expiration date and that you use a different email addy than your main Amazon kindle account. You'll get email notifications whenever an app is purchased (free or otherwise), all 5 grandkids can share all the apps/books purchased on that account, and you or their parents can fund the account with giftcards.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 9:15:47 PM PST
You can get a prepaid card for as little at $10 and you can use the same card on each account, but it would make the most sense to register them all to the same account so they can share content. Be aware that the free offerings aren't always the best for kids, especially when it comes to books. If none of the options appeal to you, return them and purchase something else.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 12:11:34 AM PST
While a shared account for the kids is a good short term solution, it's worth thinking about the fact that anything purchased on the account, whether free or paid, remains with the account, not the device. If the kids are all younger this probably won't matter. But if any of them are closer to being young adults on their own, they'll want to be able to own the apps and books they buy (even if free) on their own account most likely so they can retain access in their future. A Kindle (no matter which kind) can only be registered to one account at a time.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 1:20:35 AM PST
Thank you all so much for your responses, I will look into the suggestions and appreciate all of you for sharing. all good ideas :)

blessings to you and happy holidays

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 3:21:12 AM PST
C. Scilley says:
All on line book sellers require a credit card on file to get even the free stuff. Also, the Android store on line requires a credit card on file. Also Apple does too. So it would have been better if you had done your research ahead of time. It would have been cheaper to buy the kids another type of video game system such as a Nintendo DS. I am amazed that you, who are on a fixed income, had $200 a piece to buy 5 Fires for your grandchildren. It was very generous, but now it would be a shame to disappoint the kids and send them back.
Carolyn

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:05:47 AM PST
Downloading free books doesn't need a credit card on file at the account. Apps may well be different. I have just removed mine because Amazon kept charging it occasionally - even when the book was free. Now, I still get the free books but no charges.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:08:21 AM PST
L. Leverton says:
I just put a prepaid amex on my sons account. it has an expiration date of 2019 so it will last him years, even when it's empty. Cant' buy apps at all without one on file.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 11:12:47 AM PST
~nospin says:
Those who are close to being young adults and want their own account should be old enough to earn some money and fund their own account. Since the lowest denomination of the prepaid cards is $10, it would seem that they could wash a car, shovel snow, or babysit, to get the money to create their own account.

It is worth mentioning, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 11:21:05 AM PST
TL says:
I ran into the same problem for my son. I spent a few hours online and on the phone trying to figure out how to use a gift card without a credit card as back-up. I also do not want my CC number stored on my sons kindle. I spoke with a rep. from Kindle who reports that they are working on a solution to this problem. She suggests that I use a prepaid CC to put on his account. I did that and it works fine now. However, I only put 1.00 on the prepaid CC because I had a gift card to use instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 11:24:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 11:27:31 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Fixed income doesn't mean poor in all cases. Just means the same each month or year. My sisters father in law complains all the time about his $76,000 a year fixed income. And it is just him.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:35:35 AM PST
Set up 5 accounts and use one $10 prepaid CC for all of them. Just enter it in every account. Doesn't have to be $10 each. Just total of $10 and use the same number on every account.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 12:06:18 PM PST
BethW says:
Initial post: Dec 26, 2011 12:01:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author 1 minute ago
Robert J. Laurich says:
Here's how you use a gift card - without having to use a credit card number:

Updating 1-Click Settings for Gift Card Purchases

You are not required to have a credit or debit card on your Amazon.com account to make digital purchases such as Kindle books, but you must establish a default 1-Click billing address on your Amazon.com account to use Amazon.com gift cards for digital purchases. If you don't already have a 1-Click billing address on your account, follow the instructions below to add an address without entering a credit or debit card to your account.
To add a 1-Click Billing Address for Gift Card purchases:

Visit the Manage Addresses and 1-Click Settings page in Your Account.
Click the Enter a new address button.
Enter the address information and click the Continue button.

Set the address as your default by clicking the link on the address labeled "Click here to make this your 1-Click default address." You may be prompted to associate a credit or debit card with the address, but entering one of these payment methods is not required.

Note he did put money on the account with the gift card so this is not a how to do everything without spending any money at all solution.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 12:07:55 PM PST
~nospin says:
I really hope more people will post if this solution works for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 1:34:31 PM PST
L. Leverton says:
Yes, because amazon is saying giftcards aren't good enough for apps.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 1:36:51 PM PST
Gift cards are fine for purchasing apps, but you need a US credit card and address on file to satisfy licensing restrictions. You don't need to use the card to purchase the app.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 1:38:51 PM PST
L. Leverton says:
True, it doesn't matter if it has 1.00 on it, but it is required for the purchase of apps. I do not believe the posters who are saying you can get around it. If you could, amazon would say so.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 2:43:49 PM PST
K. Green says:
Here is how I deal with this for my teens kindles and Itunes accounts: I have a prepaid visa giftcard that I used down to about $1. Now, I just hand it over anytime the kids need to register something. There is no money available on it, but it works fine to set up accounts. Maybe Joni, you could buy a visa GC, use it to buy groceries, leaving only a couple dollars on it, then use that same card to set up the accounts for the kids. Good luck!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions