Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Paperwhite Screen Problem - Subtle Discolorations

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2012 10:37:24 AM PDT
Pauletta says:
I have had my Kindle PW for the past three days and notice a pinkish-to-greenish slight discoloration on my screen from the top left to the top right and then to about halfway down the screen. I didn't notice it at first but after reading on the device for several days I began to see the subtle color changes. I looked at pictures and videos of other Kindle PWs and noticed that they all had nice white screens (with the exception of the slight shadow area on the very bottom of the screen where the LED lights are located, which is apparently normal).

I called customer support and spoke to level 2 Kindle tech support and explained the appearance of the screen. He informed me that indeed the screen should have absolutely no colors or discolorations, and he said that it is definitely a defective screen-the screen should be white. He is sending me a replacement and I should have it by Monday. I will be comparing it with my current PW and hopefully it will have a uniform white screen.

I wanted to post this here as I have read that several people have the same issue with discolorations on the screen. According to Amazon, this is NOT normal and you can get a replacement Kindle PaperWhite for this problem.

It would be interesting to know how many people have received a PW with this issue. I love the PW otherwise, and hope my replacement resolves the screen problem. Just wanted to give a heads up to others who are seeing this on their PW screen.

~ Paulette

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 12:41:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 5, 2012 12:55:06 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 3:21:02 PM PDT
bookcrazy says:
my screen has a bluish tinge. I will read more this weekend and if I still have it on Monday, I will contact CS.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 3:30:45 PM PDT
Fuzzy says:
This has been covered extensively in other threads. Thankfully my Paperwhite does not seem to suffer from any such issues. At first I did have slight shading fuzz at the bottom of the screen under some lighting conditions, but that has cleared up on its own.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 3:48:31 PM PDT
I was reading some of the user reviews over at Mobileread, and one poster said that, although most of us think that e-ink screens aren't very susceptible to fingerprints, that the PW screen is, maybe because of the overlays for the lighting.

He said that on his PW, the oil in the fingerprints seemed to cause the appearance of discoloration, and that it mostly disappeared after he wiped the screen thoroughly. I have no idea if he's right -- my PW isn't here yet.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 4:12:48 PM PDT
I think this has to do with the screen being pressed too hard during manufacturing when the device is being assembled.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 4:40:52 PM PDT
Nathan says:
My PW has a similar issue and, like you, I have a replacement coming.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 9:30:35 PM PDT
bookcrazy says:
I talked to CS about my blue splotches and they are sending me a replacement that I should have on Wednesday. I should have pressed to have delivered faster but I can limp through until then on the defective one.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 5:26:17 AM PDT
Mary McManus says:
In another thread someone mentions that these discolorations disappear after cleaning the screen with a pre-moistens eyeglass wipe. Before panicking, you might try that. I personally don't have any discolorations on mine. I do have the slight smudginess at the bottom of the screen which does not bother me at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 5:51:43 AM PDT
P. Burks says:
I just used one of the eyeglass and electronic wipes on mine and it didn't help with the blue/pink discolorations on my screen. I have a replacement coming on Tuesday, so hopefully it will be better. If not, I will probably just keep the original one. The discoloration isn't pronounced and is something I could get used to as well as the dark smudges at the bottom of the screen between the LED lights. I really, really love having the light and it has made reading in bed so much easier for me.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 8:11:06 AM PDT
Arclight says:
The grayness at the bottom of your screens are shadows from the four LED lights. As all KPWs have the four LED lights you will have these shadows. Ordering a new one will not solve this shadow problem. If Ama/Kindle ever re-engineers the lights, you might see no shadows. Another owner re-ordered three times and the grayness shadows were still there.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 8:41:43 AM PDT
bookcrazy says:
I can live with the gray shadows but I find the blue splotches on the rest of the screen distracting and something I probably cannot learn to live with.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:35:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2012 8:24:09 AM PDT
Ubik says:
Received my Kindle paperwhite last Thursday, the slight LED bleedthrough at the bottom of the screen doesn't bother me, however, my display does not have an even color distribution, there is a noticeable pinkish/ reddish blotch at the top right hand side of the screen which is distracting.

Just spoke to customer service regarding the above and they are shipping me a replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 7:52:59 PM PDT
Nobody says:
Customer support told me the same thing. My replacement is on the way. It's coming from the same warehouse as the first one, so naturally (being paranoid), I worrying that they're shipping from the same batch. Mine came out of a PA warehouse. Where was yours shipped from?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 7:53:56 PM PDT
Nathan says:
Contact amazon and get a replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 8:17:00 PM PDT
Cix says:
Mine has the same pinkish discoloration on the top right and along the middle left side of the screen. I'm calling Amazon tomorrow to see what they say about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 8:39:49 PM PDT
Pauletta says:
I received my replacement (from PA warehouse) and it also has the discolorations! So now I have two Kindle PWs with discoloration on the screen. I am going to wait for the next batch of Kindle PWs to come in and try for a third replacement. This is so frustrating, especially when others who have the PW have told me that theirs is perfectly white.

Those of you who are getting replacements, please let us know if your new Kindle PW is better and where it was sent from. I sure hope this gets resolved soon. If not, I will just go back to reading on my old Kindle Fire.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 8:48:36 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
I got my Paperwhite on the 2nd from the PA warehouse and it has no color discolorations at all. Even white light on the page except the LED shadows at the bottom that I don't even notice when reading anymore.

I am very happy with mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 8:50:28 PM PDT
Nobody says:
Good. I'm glad to hear there was success out of PA.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 3:23:28 AM PDT
feline lover says:
Mine also came from PA. I got it on 10/2. Other than the slight shading at the bottom from the LEDs it is perfect. I love it!

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 4:56:40 AM PDT
Cyndie says:
Mine came out of PA also and has the pinkish discolorations. I thought at first it was the fault of my lighting at home but last night, I took it into a dark room with just the light from the Paperlight on and could see the pinkish blotches. So, I think I'll give support a call today about it.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 12:25:30 PM PDT
I haven't seen any Paperwhite's without the discoloration problem, sadly. In person or pics online from people who say theirs are perfect. Yet the color hues are still easily seen by me. Seems to be a major defect. I tried a replacement and it was better, but the color hues are still there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 1:31:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 23, 2012 5:32:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 5:30:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 23, 2012 5:30:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:35:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 3:13:40 PM PST
Paul Goelz says:
Hi folks, Nook user and new Kindler here. I ordered a Paperwhite last month and received it (after MASSIVE Smartpost delays sufficient for Amazon to overnight a replacement) on November 8th. Interestingly, I received both the original and the replacement on the same day. Don't get me started on FedEx SmartPost........

Kindle #1 (the original):
On PW #1, the lighting is very even.... much better than many reports I have seen. But it had the subtle discolorations in several areas that many are reporting over maybe 30% of the screen. What I find interesting is that they CHANGE with time. Sometimes they are very diffuse almost un-noticeable, and sometimes they are more concentrated and obvious.

What is even more interesting is that after I cleaned the screen with eyeglass cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth, they changed even more. After cleaning, the discolorations are much more diffuse and almost (but not quite) acceptable. The same general areas have the same colors, just spread over a larger area and much fainter. Since cleaning never makes them go away, I don't know if it is the cleaning, the fluid or just the mechanical action with the microfiber cloth that affects it. My gut says this is an artifact of the way the diffuser is made and that cleaning subtly changes the dimensions of the diffuser, but that is a guess. I did try rubbing with my thumb and that seems to have no effect at all.

Kindle #2 (the replacement):
Kindle #2 that was shipped next day air (from Nevada) had a noticeably whiter screen with fewer discolorations. Unfortunately, it also had a line of lazy pixels that would not always change state completely. It appeared new but there was no quick start guide in the box so I am not sure if it was new or a refurb. They have to be doing SOMETHING with all the returns, after all. I returned it and requested a replacement (for #1, the one I kept), which will arrive in a couple days. I hope it is better, but I am not optimistic. From what I read, many (if not all) current production Paperwhites have the discolorations.... it is just a matter of how severe they are and how tolerant the users are.

Hopefully, Amazon can get it sorted and issue replacements that are actually clean and white like they should be. In my experience, Amazon is a class act and will make good. I just don't think they have a handle on it yet.

Paul

EDIT:

Saw a PW demo unit at Staples this evening and while the LED lighting was not terribly even, the screen was almost totally white with essentially no discolorations. Since we were in need of one for a gift, we bought the one they had in stock. After the purchase we were able to open it at the counter to inspect the screen. This unit was the best I have seen so far. The lighting was very even and there was a just BARELY perceptible cyan tinge in the center but unless you were primed to look for it you would never notice it.

So there IS hope that there are good PWs out there. They aren't ALL bad.

Paul
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions