Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Would you buy the original KT if you could?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2012 6:55:59 AM PDT
VickiLynne says:
Just wondering since I've seen a few still in stores. What was actually wrong with them?

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 7:07:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 7:17:23 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
VickiLynne,

For many of us there was nothing "wrong with them." They simply lacked many of the improvements found in the second generation such as 1 gig of memory and (in the case of the KFHD), 16 gigs of storage, significant improvements in wifi sensitivity, screen display, and sound. In addition, some owners of the original KF have run into problems with a "loose" charge port that has led to charging problems. IMO, if you can pick up a first generation KF at less than $100 it's an excellent buy. Otherwise, go for a second generation device if your budget will support it.

ETA: As noted below, the comments above are completely irrelevant to the question asked. :<

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 7:08:25 AM PDT
I thought the OP was asking about the Touch.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 7:14:08 AM PDT
VickiLynne says:
:) I was asking about the original Kindle Touch.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 7:16:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 7:16:49 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I choose to spend the extra $20 and get the Paperwhite. The touch screen technology is different and you get the light.

ETA: The original touch screen was very sensitive. People said a sleeve brushing against it would turn pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 7:16:33 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Duh... Thanks folks. My only excuse is that it's still early out here on the left coast and "T's" look like "F's". As Emily Latella would say, "Never mind."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 7:18:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 7:18:39 AM PDT
LOL!

I personally wouldn't buy a Touch. It seems to me that there were more issues with that particular model than other ones. It also hasn't received some of the updates, like Parental Controls, that have been pushed out to other models.

I love the Paperwhite and would recommend it over the Touch.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 7:20:05 AM PDT
Erich says:
I'm not sure there was ever anything technically "wrong" with them. My father-in-law has one and swears by it. I gave it to him for Christmas last year and he travels all over the place with it. He'd just as soon have me remove is left kidney than take away is Touch. Having said that, being an early generation device, I'm sure there is room for improvement in some areas. I've yet to interact with a PW, so I can't comment on any differences.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 7:32:02 AM PDT
yes if you want touch and audio capabilities

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 10:15:50 AM PDT
I have had the Touch for about a year, and I don't plan on switching to the Paperwhite. I LOVE the touch! I had a K2 for a few years before that, and I prefer the Touch greatly. If the Paperwhite had audio capabilities, I MIGHT consider it, (I listen to audiobooks frequently) but I don't know. I'm still thrilled with the KT after a year.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 10:17:35 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
I love my Kindle Touch and have no plans to upgrade to the Paperwhite. I have no need for the light (I have an ipad, and read on it frequently--and yes, for long periods of time w/o issue). Plus, I never found the Touch to be too sensitive, and I have no need for parental controls.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 9:58:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 10:01:21 PM PDT
monilee says:
Love my kindle touch. Did get a paperwhite(which I also love) because I found the lighted cover for the touch annoying. Use my touch during the day and paperwhite at night. Alleviated my worry of being kindleless if anything happened to one.Also kindle touch has speakers and more memory(not an issue for me but huge for people with severe visual impairment.) Prefer touch screens ,and never had any problems with the touch screen being too sensitive.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:00:39 AM PDT
The Kindle Touch is my first Kindle and have had it for 10 months now. I would not trade it in for anything. I've never had any problems with screen being sensitive. The times where it has gone to the next page before I was ready has been due to me moving around and accidentally touching the screen which I imagine is a similar occurence other users may have.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 3:05:17 AM PDT
I am like the other posters, I adore my KT! Most of the over sensitive issues were taken care of with Updates. I think it is perfect!!!

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:28:20 AM PDT
Iowa Reader says:
Love my K-touch. Like Monilee, I was much annoyed by the over-priced and poorly designed lighted cover-- but I made it a lot less annoying with a simple stip of electrical tape backed by foil (with a folded foil extension) so that my light illuminates the Kindle without burning my retina. Also found a cheap zipped pouch, sized to hold the first Fire, perfect to hold the K-touch in the stupid Amazon cover. I know, stupid to put a case inside of a case, but the leather is fragile, and the case lacks a clasp or band to keep it closed as it bounces around inside my bag with keys, and othe sharp objects.

I'm certainly tempted by the PW, but holding back because:
a. The K-T is less than a year old, couldn't justify buying another device this soon.
b. Early reviews of the PW are mixed. Makes me think that the PW-2 will be much better, and that we are unlikely to have to wait more than 2 years to see that model.
c. I want to hold a real PW in my hands (not the fake one that stores will have on display). I see a lot of e-readers every day: I'm a doc, and many of my patients are using them when I enter the exam room. So eventually I will spot a PW, and I won't be shy about asking what my patient thinks of it or if I can check out the quality of the illuminated screen. That might push me closer to buying one--heck, it was exactly that type of encounter in early 2009 that caused to click "buy" on the K2 on my wish list.

Bottom line: if my K-touch died tomorrow, (horrible thought), I would look for another one at all my area BestBuys and Staples before I would buy a PW. However, if the stupid Amazon lighted cover died, I would go right for a PW.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 7:34:30 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I was showing off my PW to the eye doctor and his assistant earlier this week. They both liked it. The doctor said he was tired of trying to read on is iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 7:01:55 PM PDT
Iowa Reader says:
Pat, I am a little concerned by reports that the PW does not offer the larger fonts offered on all of the prior Kindles (I don't have one, so I do not know what the PW fonts look like.) The few times I have gone to get my Kindle, to show it to the patient, it was because the patient had given up reading due to a visual impairment. If the new Kindles don't have the big fonts, I will have to recommend that they get a Nook instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 7:16:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 7:17:57 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
I'm not sure what you consider large but the largest font setting on my Kindle Paperwhite results in 2 - 3 words per line, 8 lines per page, way to large for me to read. You might want to see if you can find one at Best Buy, Office Depot or Staples and take a look at them. I find reading on it much easier than on my Kindle Keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 9:08:31 PM PDT
monilee says:
Paperwhite largest font compared to touch same page in book/ pw 6 lines with spaces 15 characters per line.../ touch 4 lines 12 characters per line. My vision worse than 20/200 with bilateral astygmatism. Can clearly read paperwhite up to 8 feet away and touch 10 feet away without glasses.Touch only has 10 words on page paperwhite has 14. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 9:41:08 PM PDT
Iowa Reader says:
@Monilee, thank you, that does help.

The latest Kindle App for iPad only offers 2 font sizes, which is disappointing. I was concerned that the PW software would limited compared to previous generation e-ink readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 9:56:24 PM PDT
Captain says:
You can get a used Touch on eBay for around $50. I did and it works perfectly. I think the Touch is the best Kindle ereader.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 5:31:29 AM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Oh my God! Iowa Reader is right! I just upgraded to the latest Kindle app for iPad and it DOES only have two font sizes. The current sizes are ok for me but surely they won't be for everyone. That has to be a bad move!

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 6:08:03 AM PDT
Gretchen says:
I had a Kindle Touch for awhile and Zi loved it and never had any problems with it. Now I have a Kindle Keyboard and I like it better lus it has 3G. and I love the buttons instead because I don't lose my place by tapping or swipping it in the wrong place :o)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:33:11 AM PDT
The Kindle App for iPad has two font size buttons, smaller and larger, but they toggle through 12 font sizes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 7:25:10 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Oh, that is very cool, toggling through the font sizes in the Kindle app for iPad, latest version. If you tap on the larger one, the font gets progressively larger, and tapping on the smaller makes the font smaller. That is brilliant! Thanks, Donald, for pointing that out. I didn't catch on at first.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 162 9 minutes ago
My email icon has disappeared from my carousel. 22 22 minutes ago
Can't download apps to my Kindle Fire 81 29 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2293 29 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1560 32 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD won't charge?! 386 38 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7972 40 minutes ago
Downloading to a computer to transfer to a Kindle. 8 55 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4040 57 minutes ago
Oasis Giveaway Update 91 58 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Oct 23, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions