Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 VS The new Nook HD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 143 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2012 11:24:26 AM PDT
Debbie says:
I was going to hold out for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch but just got a email about Nook's new HD product coming out Nov 1st vs Nov 20 for the Kindle HD 8.9. They are going to be 30.00 cheaper, includes the charger and has the SD slot. I am so confused now!!! The only thing I can see that is different is that BN apps such as words with friends you are going to have to pay for I didn't see much in the way of free apps like with the kindle Fire HD. Also I didn't research that far into it but I don't think BN has like Amazon does for the Prime books movies and tv shows. Anyone care to Help is figure out which one is going to be the better one??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:29:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2012 11:30:28 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
Honestly, after reading about the new Nook devises and the features (cheaper, expandable card slot, etc), I think they are better than the Fires (except for lack of front facing camera).

HOWEVER....

You have to think about what ecosystem you want to be involved with. I've found that Amazon has the best ebook selection and the best prices. We know that Amazon will allow you to download third party apps from the Google Play store w/o the need for rooting. We know that if one subscribes to Prime for free shipping, they will get the videos as well (Nook has a video on demand feature coming, but I don't know if it will be like the Prime version). Also, Amazon has the best customer service (should you ever need it).

For those reason, I'd go with the Kindle. But, the new Nook devices definitely up the ante.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:30:19 AM PDT
I always think "What company is still going to be around in 5 years?" I am not so sure about B&N.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:31:38 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
There are so many posts on this...just go with the kindle. B&N has nothing on Amazon.

And browse the forums...no one here is going to vote for Nook.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:32:16 AM PDT
Debbie says:
Very true Laura

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:33:26 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
"And browse the forums...no one here is going to vote for Nook. "

Well, I sorta did. The new Nooks just look like better devices with better features. It would be cool if the Nook was the Fire (with the addition of the front facing camera). I do think the Amazon ecosystem is better, though.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:34:10 AM PDT
Debbie says:
Thanks MommaCat that was my initial thought as well especially when I browsed the apps and saw that many that you can get from Amazon for free BN was charging this is probably how they will make up for that 30.00 difference

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:35:19 AM PDT
It's all about customer service for me and Amazon beats BN hands down. Plus Amazon offers more books, apps, videos, music and much of that for free or less than BN.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:36:38 AM PDT
I don't believe B&N will be in business in 5 years. I wouldn't even consider their products.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:37:08 AM PDT
I am not against the Nook as a device, but with ereaders, you have to look at who is supplying the content and what their customer service is like. While there are features on the Nook that I like, I would probably never purchase based on who supplies the content.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:38:46 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
"when I browsed the apps and saw that many that you can get from Amazon for free BN was charging this is probably how they will make up for that 30.00 difference "

It's not that they are charging. Amazon has the same apps and charge for them too. It just seems like Amazon carries the ad supported free versions while BN may not (their only site is not good for searching; i don't know if their actual tablet devices have better search results).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:46:52 AM PDT
I have a kindle keyboard and a 16GB nook tablet. And I like them both. I prefer the Amazon store to B and N but I like the fact that there's a physical B and N only twenty minutes from my home. I bought the Nook Tablet and they repartioned the drive there, 8 for my own sideloaded content and 8 for the system's software and books and apps I buy. I wanted an Epub reader, and Kindle doesn't support that. Before the new Kindle Fires came out, the Nook offered more . . . and I can still add an SD for additional space. Would I have wanted the new Fire? Nope, happy with the Nook.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:53:59 AM PDT
Old Rocker says:
I checked out the new Nooks on B&N's website and I have to admit that they look pretty nice.

I suggest to anyone who is indifferent about whether their tablet is from Amazon or B&N should wait until both come out and read actual comparisons and consider the "whole package."

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:15:11 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Also, people could also ask over on the B&N forums. I think they get a post every couple of days. (just joking, but the activity level there is really, really low compared to here.)

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:31:04 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
The only circumstance under which it's really valid to compare these tablets *as devices* is if you plan to root them. If you do, then they are all Android tablets with different hardware feature-sets you can easily compare with your needs.

Otherwise, they don't function that way; as delivered, they are not really independent devices so much as they are simply portals for the retail system they are attached to. Comparing Amazon, B&N, and Google is a different process, and one that most people here (including me) believe that Amazon easily wins.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:38:39 PM PDT
Nathan says:
I have no idea how good or bad the new nook tablets will be but their marketing is leaving me very skeptical. First, their video showing the new nook tablets do not show actual hardware, they are completely CGI. Second, look at their picture for their nook simple touch with glowlight. <https://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208> I know for a fact that the nook with glowlight doesn't look white like that, as I am looking at one in my hands. Unless they have made a stealth update, they are being very deceptive. I won't make an actual judgement until they are released.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:39:41 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
I also don't think B&N will have B&M stores much longer.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:40:49 PM PDT
K. Howard says:
I must say I totally agree with CLS10.

I have found Amazon to have a better selection of free apps and books. The Amazon site is much more user friendly. Prime is totally worth the yearly fee. And I have found Amazon to have better customer service, at least in my experience.

We don't have a B&N where I live, but they do sell the Nooks in Books-A-Million. Those employees in that particular store can't seem to alphabetize authors - I'm thinking they won't be very useful for in-store service of the Nooks.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:47:50 PM PDT
And, of course, if you buy a book by mistake, Amazon gives you 7 days to return it; B&N gives you 0 - no returns.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:52:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2012 12:52:44 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
As I've said elsewhere, I have B&N stock (BKS) on my daily stock ticker and read up on financial news concerning BKS. Some analysts doubt B&N's abilbity to continue operations long term without spinning off the Nook business and reorganizing the remainder of the company under bankruptcy protection.

One of B&N's biggest failures was to use their cash reserves to buy back stock to keep the prices up for the sake of their major investors instead of rolling the cash into building their business like Amazon does.

I think that the Nook won't be going away after a spinoff, but they may fade into irrelevancy like the Sony ereader did. (Not saying the Sony ereaders are bad... they just aren't a real player any longer.)

Take anything a financial analyst says with a grain of salt. Some have been predicting the death of RIM for two years, yet they still hang on.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:14:01 PM PDT
Luna says:
I have been anxiously awaiting a larger tablet since before the original Fire (which I have) was released. So, although I haven't pre-ordered, had already decided to buy an 8.9" FireHD. After seeing this thread, I went and looked at the Nook HD+, and the addition of an SD card slot is tempting. However, given Amazon's customer service, and the fact that I already have 4 Kindles of various types, I am sticking with Amazon. If I was not already in the Amazon ecosystem, I "might" have gone for the Nook ... but it was extensive research two years ago that caused me to choose Amazon over B&N to begin with, and essentially those pros and cons are still valid.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:23:32 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
So I just looked at the B&N forums. The Nook tablet forum has had seven posts today and the community forum has had five.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 1:28:00 PM PDT
~nospin says:
Where did you even find it?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 1:29:28 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 1:29:52 PM PDT
King Al says:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-General-Discussion/bd-p/NTGenDiscuss

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Community-Room/bd-p/CR
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 13 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Extra fee for ad free? 16 33 seconds ago
Prime - Owner's Lending Library 89 1 minute ago
text to speech 57 1 minute ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 1857 1 minute ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 5332 2 minutes ago
Got to have'em all! 1 4 minutes ago
December 2014 Informal Poll--What Are You Reading? 412 4 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 5435 7 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 2677 8 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  143
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions