Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

the main lock screen of my kindle fire hd is an ad. how to change? help!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 82 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2012 5:01:37 PM PST
N. Potter says:
I'm kind of disappointed with it. everything on my kindle is an ad. it's so frustrating! I've been looking all day but I can't find out how to change it.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:20:53 AM PST
John D. says:
Kindles with Special Offers save you a few dollars at purchase time. If you don't like the ads, you can pay the difference via Manage My Kindle. Then you can turn Special Offers on and off at will.

Or you can return the Kindle. If you bought direct from Amazon, the return policy is very reasonable.

I'll add that I don't like the ads either, and have found the policy reasonable. Remember, the price to disable the ads was saved on the original purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:28:02 AM PST
I just ignore them, like I don't see the flash of my e- ink page turns, anymore.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:31:47 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
and it's worse if you have a Kindle Fire outside the US registered to amazon.com - there is no option to pay more and turn them off. And my kindle knows it's in France because most of the ads are in French.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:35:35 AM PST
If you pay extra to turn off the Special Offers, make sure you know what are special offers. Too many people have complained that paying the extra does not turn off what they wanted.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:00:57 AM PST
I love, "...my kindle knows it's in France..."

Yes. Yes, they KNOOOW! ;0)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:49:15 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
and I hate Johnny Hallyday, so seeing his mug on my kindles does not make me happy

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:03:04 AM PST
Allena says:
I feel like we should have a free option to turn off the adds, as a customer it is no longer theirs. It is now mine and I don't like that I can't customize the way I want to. No one likes adds.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:06:44 AM PST
Having the ads is what made your Kindle less expensive in the first place. WHY should they remove them for you free of charge?

By the way, it is ads, not adds.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:06:51 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
being that it was 15 USD less than the price would have been w/o the ads, they're justified in asking for that price difference

right now the HD is being sold at $199 with Special Offers and $214 w/o them

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:07:58 AM PST
You got a discount for the ad-supported version. Pay the difference and the ads go away or you could have purchased non-sponsored device to begin with.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:09:05 AM PST
Actually, some people DO like the ads. Don't presume to speak for all Kindle users.

You paid less for the ad-sponsored model. Why should you not be expected to pay the difference?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:09:49 AM PST
Entitlement issues, apparently.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:10:13 AM PST
Allena - You CHOSE the one with ads (Special Offers) to begin with. It was cheaper than the one without Special Offers. The difference in price was paid for by those ads. If you didn't want ads you should have purchased the one without them. Amazon has given you the opportunity to rectify your mistake without having to return your device and purchase the other one.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:17:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 10:18:30 AM PST
Cotton Socks says:
I actually like the ads on my Touch. I have bought several items thanks to them and saved a bunch of money. The ads on the 8.9 are only on the first lock screen so I am not sure why Potter states "everything on my kindle is an ad"

Pay the money and have them turned off instead of yelling at Amazon because YOU did NOT read the product page conditions when purchasing. It's not like Amazon hides that information. It is clearly stated in the first few lines of product description.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:43:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 10:43:53 AM PST
The Blade says:
>>>>"I feel like we should have a free option to turn off the adds"<<<<

Then you should buy the device without special offers. That is your choice. But what you want is the discount AND no ads.

Just do your homework before buying, buy the model that best fits your needs (including the lack of desire for ads) and don't be so greedy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:44:28 AM PST
J. Donahue says:
It's nice to feel...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:45:40 AM PST
"Don't send me to my room without supper, Daddy..." lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:51:16 AM PST
The Blade says:
Lol! :-D

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:08:59 PM PST
so if it was a gift? are we still wrong for not wanting the ads/adds? there/their/they' 're should still be an option to take the ads/adds off. I hope the next update contains that option.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:14:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:14:48 PM PST
Loz says:
It's not a matter of an update to take away the ads. It makes no difference if it was a gift or not. The person who bought it for you obviously decided to go the cheaper route and purchase the ad supported model. If you want the ads gone, you will have to pay for their removal. End of story.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:04:47 AM PST
well, when it was purchased in best buy the customer service rep didn't explain the option of purchasing the version with or without the ads/adds. customers are upset about there not being one version and having the option to have ads /adds for those who enjoy them and one to take them off for those who don't like them. we should have an option to personalize our device more suitable for us whether we bought the ads/adds infested kindle or the one without.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:09:32 AM PST
Loz says:
From what I know, the CS people generally don't know jack about what they are selling. The fact of the matter is, the price that was paid is cheaper due to the ads.

If you wanted something you could personalise, you should have purchased a more expensive tablet that can do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:32:16 AM PST
but I didn't buy it. so there is nothing I can do. what I'm implying is there should be an option. it was a poor judgement on the company' s part. the majority of people do not like ads. if you bought the version without it, good for you. the unlucky one's are upset and wanting the option of not having ads. some will pay to get them removed and some will trade it in for something better. this might cost kindle to lose some customers. people like options at their finger tips.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:05:33 AM PST
Loz says:
Yes there is something you can do. Pay the money to have the ads removed. It's not that hard and can be done from the manage your kindle page. It is at your fingertips so your argument there is invalid. It's not a matter of lucky vs unlucky people.

There is an option, but not all options might be available at retail stores. If it was purchased online (as the majority of kindle devices are) the options are there.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK #78 and still going! 6268 21 seconds ago
prime monthly book lending 9 22 seconds ago
is there an app for that? 3536 23 seconds ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4876 2 minutes ago
Who is getting what new device? 13 2 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage .. the return of.. wait for it... page turn buttons 176 2 minutes ago
So....it costs $80 more just for 80 more pixels...and nothign more? Its unimpressive then.... 41 3 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD 7'' Speaker not working 116 7 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs Sept 17 & 18, 2014 130 8 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions