Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Paperwhite won't hold charge

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2013 6:29:54 PM PST
Bought myself a paperwhite and put a full charge on it the other day, read for about an hour, then set it to sleep. I picked it up less than 48 hours later and it is completely dead. Could I have one with a bad battery? Thanks...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 6:45:03 PM PST
~nospin says:
Depends on how much is in your library and whether a book may have gotten stuck indexing.

It takes a lot of battery initially tp get your books listed.

Charge it fully and see how it goes.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 6:45:49 PM PST
The Artist says:
You should also turn off wi-fi unless you're using it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 6:56:04 PM PST
I turned it on Airplane mode to disable the wifi. Is there another way to turn it off?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 6:58:48 PM PST
Mike says:
No, only one way. Airplane Mode On = WiFi/3G Off.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 12:21:15 AM PST
John D. says:
48 hours is a short time to deplete a battery through WiFi. I have mine on for more than a week with WiFi enabled, with hours of reading and no recharging.

WiFi and 3G works a lot harder, of course, if you're actively downloading books. But as long as it's not doing much, the drain is minor.

To check for stuck indexing, search for a garbage string like lsdkjclsdkjc. If anything is still indexing, you'll see a message to that effect. To fix it, delete the still-indexing books and re-download them one or two at a time.

Another possibility is a bug a few have reported -- when they turn their PW off, the light stays on. It seems to be rare but if the brightness was set high, that could beat up a battery in 48 hours. If you have that issue, reboot your Kindle (press power for 30 seconds then power it up).

Good luck! If you can't figure it out, definitely contact Customer Service. They're very helpful.

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 5:40:17 AM PDT
I left my kindle paperweight in the sun for a half an hour. Now I can't get it to charge. Is there anything I can do except buy a new battery?

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 5:49:05 PM PDT
J. Norman says:
We bought and sent my mother in law (his mom) a Paperwhite Kindle in early Sept 2013. She has recently said that when she took it out of of the box and turned it on, it said it needed to be charged. As I am not fully informed as to all the details I'm just stating what I know.
She did manage to register her kindle. I don't know how many kindle books she has on her pc, that would need to be synced to her Kindle.
Is there a little icon or something that shows when the Kindle is plugged in, or charging, or what ever? She wasn't able to find one anywhere. Also, I do not have a Kindle, is the Paperwhite Kindle similar to an older Kindle-in other words, if I borrowed one maybe I could help her troubleshoot the problems she is having.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2014 3:19:46 PM PST
WitchyD says:
I've had this problem I think. When I first bought the Kindle PW, I could read all week (1-2 hours/night) on a charge. Now it is dead on night 2. I've noticed that when I turn it off at night, the light seems to continue to glow as if the Kindle is doing something and not sleeping.

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 3:21:58 PM PST
WitchyD says:
When I turn off my Kindle PW at night, I notice it still seems to "glow" all night even though it should be in sleep mode. I can have a full charge, yet the next day it it nearly drained. Anyone know how to fix?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2014 3:26:39 PM PST
❤ Ann says:
@WitchyD - Try rebooting your PW: Make sure it's charged, unplug it, press and hold the power button in for a full 30 seconds (time it, and ignore anything on the screen), then release and leave it alone for a few minutes to restart.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2014 3:30:16 PM PST
WitchyD says:
I did a reboot and also put in airplane mode so it won't constantly be trying to connect to the WiFi network at night. I think this will resolve the issue. Weird though, it never used to do this until a few weeks ago, and then I noticed I kept having to charge it everyday.

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 6:21:54 AM PST
Update, I called Amazon and they sent me a new unit. They also sent a return label for the old one. The new one holds a charge for weeks. The other must have come with a bad battery. Thanks for all the replies!

Posted on May 3, 2014 7:05:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 5, 2014 10:43:11 PM PDT]

Posted on May 5, 2014 5:30:52 PM PDT
susan cohen says:
kindle paperwhite: It won't except a charge when I have it plugged in for more than a few seconds. I am leaving for Italy on Wed. and wanted to take this with me. Please help.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2014 6:43:28 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Have you tried a different electrical outlet? Have you held the power switch for 30 seconds to do a restart? How can you tell it won't accept (not exactly sure what that means) a charge?

Posted on May 15, 2014 7:59:40 AM PDT
EJ says:
I'm on my third paperwhite with the same charging issue. If you don't use the paper white for a few months and then attempt to use it, it will be dead, as expected, however after charging it overnight, it still showed as dead the next day. I'm getting frustrated because it's otherwise a great device.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 8:52:05 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Don't let the batteries go dead then. That is the worst thing you can do with those batteries. Just take the time and recharge the battery monthly weather you use it or not.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 11:11:31 PM PDT
I charge my kindle paper white fully, leave it in airplane mode and make sure the screen is turned off before closing it. When I use it again a few days later the battery is usually only 1 third charged. I never had this problem with my old kindle as it would stay charged for weeks. Any suggestions please?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2014 11:48:01 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
yes, check and see if you have a book stuck indexing by typing in some nonsense word in the search bar like fgajbfge and changing the option to the left of that bar to text and see if the results include something like "xxxx books not indexed". If so, click on that link, note the top book and remove it from your device

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2014 12:23:25 AM PDT
Thanks for that, search came up with books not indexed so removed the first one. Hopefully that will fix the problem - you are a champion! Will keep you posted. Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2014 8:38:07 PM PDT
An update, did as you said and I deliberately did not open my Kindle until 10 days later (fully charged, airplane mode, screen turned off). Battery was almost dead! Is this normal - very disappointed in the paperwhite after my last Kindle. Could there be a battery problem? Any help gratefully received

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2014 11:11:16 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
After a major update, all books on the kindle may need to reindex - I had a battery go down to almost 10% within 8 hours after a major update on my Kindle Touch for that reason. I was in panic mode because I was at work with no charger and was afraid that the battery would completely drain.

Did you get any results in a text, not a book search as I described - to verify that you did it correctly, type a word that you know is in very few of your books and see if any results come back (make sure and set the option to the left of the search box to text)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2014 12:47:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2014 12:49:18 AM PDT
Did exactly as you said, there were 300 odd books that needed to index but I only removed the first one which was in a funny format (have added books from a friends USB via calibre. Did this with my last Kindle with absolutely no problems). What do you suggest? Don't know if I mentioned previously that I now have a paper white.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2014 1:26:58 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
keep checking and removing as needed - the books from your friend may be DRM protected which could cause a problem with the indexing
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
24 19 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
118 7 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 8784 8 seconds ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 550 43 seconds ago
Kindle Unlimited For $9.99 Per Month 671 1 minute ago
Can you keep a local copy of a kindle book 10 5 minutes ago
July 2014 Informal Poll--What are you reading now? 248 10 minutes ago
Marvel Unlimited on Kindle Fire 14 11 minutes ago
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 29 14 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #3 9598 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2013
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions