Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle book I paid for suddenly not available to read on Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2013 1:12:22 PM PST
SolitaryBlue says:
I just upgraded to a Paperwhite. One of the books I was able to read with no problem on my old Kindle Keyboard did not download. I got an error that said "The item is not compatible with this device."

When I contacted customer service, I was told that the book was only available for the Cloud reader and the iPad! That was NOT the case when I purchased the book. I was able to read the book on the Kindle when I bought it.

I requested a refund, and Amazon issued the refund right away. However, I still find this issue very problematic, for these reasons.

1) When I purchased the book it WAS available for the Kindle. There was NO indication AT ALL that eventually it would only be available on the Cloud reader. When I pay for a Kindle book -- that is available for my Kindle -- I expect to always be able to read it on the Kindle. Isn't that just common sense?

2) I am seriously concerned now about the rest of my Kindle library. I've paid for a lot of books and I want to read them on the Kindle. Will I suddenly lose access to other titles, too, and only be able to read them in the Cloud?

I've been a loyal Amazon customer for a very long time, and I loooove my new Paperwhite. But I'm going to be purchasing far fewer Kindle books, now. If I buy and pay for a book to read on the Kindle, I need to know that I will ALWAYS be able to read that book on the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:18:23 PM PST
Meya says:
It is impossible to give an educated reply without knowing the book in question.

There are some books that are formatted for larger color screens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:18:29 PM PST
Every ebook will say on its product page exactly which devices it is formatted for.

Title, please? Or link?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:20:25 PM PST
Mike says:
What's your question?

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 1:30:21 PM PST
SolitaryBlue says:
Link is here. The Gift of Fear

NOW when you click on "Only available on these devices," it lists only Kindle Cloud Reader and Kindle for iPad.

But at the time I purchased the book, that was not the case. It WAS available for the Kindle back in October and I read it on my Kindle.

My concern is, what's to stop the availablity from changing on other items I've purchased?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:33:52 PM PST
Meya says:
The only way that will happen with a book is if the publisher pulls it and changes it. I've got close to 1,000 books on my account, and I have yet to try to download one that won't work on my Paperwhite.

The question should be put to the publisher really.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:34:59 PM PST
Mike says:
I don't know; but I also would not worry about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:44:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 1:44:40 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Do you still have that book on your Kindle Keyboard? Can you still read that copy? In any event you could look at your purchase history to check out the ASIN associated with that purchase. Is the link you provided the one that displays in the MYK list?

Search Amazon for the "ASIN:#" - if it displays other than the 404 not found result, you can still download it. You may be looking at a replacement ASIN for that new book.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:56:19 PM PST
Per OP, Amazon gave him a refund so I doubt that it's still listed in his MYK

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:03:49 PM PST
Josh Lanyon says:
Actually, this is incorrect.

I'm a (self) publisher and I've just had a reader report to me that two of my titles are now suddenly only available on the kindle cloud and the kindle for ipad. This is a change I had nothing to do with -- and am not happy about.

And I do think it is going to quickly be cause for worry -- for all of us.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:07:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 5:04:24 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
True about the MYK but I was asking where s/he got the link s/he used in a later post.

However, that purchase history will still be available especially is s/he is as anal as I am and s/he kept the email confirmation for the purchase.

There should be someway to track the actual ASIN of the originally purchased item. If s/he was only using the title of the book when discussing it with CS, they may not have known there was an older ASIN.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:08:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 2:11:38 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Sounds as if there is some technology glitch. Prior to this thread I never even saw "Cloud" as a download option for any Kindle purchase.

DL

Eta: Just went and checked a few K titles. They are now all showing me "Kindle Cloud" as a download option. That was NOT there this morning when I purchased a title. We must be in the middle of a roll-out of some update or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:10:33 PM PST
Cloud does not work with IE so unless you're running a different browser and have actually set up the cloud at one point in time, it won't show up.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 2:11:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 4:32:38 PM PST
I'm beginning to wonder if this is some kind of a glitch. This is the second or third person posting about books only readable on the Cloud. Frankly as much as I read this is something I've never encountered, books only readable on the Cloud. Some (like Stephen Colbert's) only on the Fire, but never just on the Cloud. In any case, even if the current one says Cloud only, the previously purchased edition should still be downloadable.

If this is a glitch it should be resolved in a day or so, just as the recent "not available in the US" glitch was. In that one there were several series books in my Wish List that suddenly had that message--the next day the message had gone away and I was able to buy the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:11:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 2:12:55 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
I use FF. See the edited form of my previous post.

The times, er, tools, they are a'changin'

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:13:53 PM PST
Then you can activate it - https://read.amazon.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:15:41 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
I know that. I had already activated it. It just was never a option in my download drop-down when purchasing a K book before today (after I read this thread but NOT this morning when I was actually buying a K book.)

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:21:32 PM PST
Josh Lanyon says:
Amazon support staff informed the customer that publishers choose what device to make work available on, but if so that's a brand new option. There was never a choice before and I sure wouldn't opt for the cloud or ipad only. I can't imagine any publisher would.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:27:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 2:52:04 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
I suspect (have NO insider knowledge) that the change in that drop-down is being implemented across the system and that some glitch or something is causing some books to show ONLY that option.

I also suspect that, if my theory is correct, CS hasn't been informed or "updated" (pardon the pun) about the change. Only time will tell.

I'm not too worried. Amazon will fix this up. As the author of at least one book that has been affected, would you be able to talk about what is happening to whomever is responsible for mounting the Kindle editions?

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:32:25 PM PST
Josh Lanyon says:
You mean as opposed to yelling about it on Twitter and telling everyone to buy my work thru Smashwords instead of Amazon? ;-D

I'm sorry to say, I've never had a great deal of luck getting help from Amazon's author support, but yes, I do have an email into them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:36:59 PM PST
~nospin says:
Wouldn' t discussing it on the kdp forum give you a better handle on the scope of the problem.?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:41:51 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Oh wow.

Sorry they don't give you better support.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:45:53 PM PST
Josh Lanyon says:
Last few times I checked into the KDP forum it had been overrun with spammers for medical products.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:47:26 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Please forgive me for the smirk but now, maybe, some of the "authors" understand better how we felt when the Amazon fora were being overrun by THEIR spam!

LOL!

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:47:48 PM PST
Josh Lanyon says:
Me too.

Well, I'll wait to see what the support folks say. And I'll try to remember to update you here.

Thanks all for your patience with yet another panicked author. :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions