Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire in other Countries.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2011 7:59:49 PM PST
Juan Pineda says:
Hi, i live in Colombia. The kindle fire and the Amazon Prime works in Colombia with a Credit Card from there?

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:01:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2011 8:02:32 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
No. The Fire is US only. When outside the US the Fire cannot purchase aps, stream movies, purchase music, etc.

All you can do is surf the web, purchase Ebooks and use whatever is already downloaded to the Fire.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:02:55 PM PST
Artist says:
No. Outside the US you can't buy apps, use the cloud or stream movies.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:09:00 PM PST
Juan Pineda says:
Thank you!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 11:12:55 AM PST
Margarita says:
Thank God I have an iPad! I live in Colombia, bought the Kindle Fire and got the bad news!! Im keeping my old Kindle and gave the new one as a gift to my daughter...

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 7:49:11 AM PST
I am planning on giving this as a gift to someone in Colombia. I am sure that they can surf the internet, but I want to make sure that they will be able to purchase ebooks, magazines, etc. Can this be done? Thank you.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 8:04:42 AM PST
The international communicating should not buy the kindle fire from amazon, unless they make available the apps etc to us. It is a shame they accept our money for every thing else, but something as small as the apps they are advertising should be available at a cost at least.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 9:02:16 AM PST
Edgar Correa says:
Yes, I made a mistake buying the Kindle Fire last december( I live in Colombia), its a gorgeous machine, but if you cant use the apps etc really you´d only use 5% of its capacity,(only works for ebooks no more...), and in this case in better for you to buy a simple Kindle....

I HOPE Amazon open store soon in latinoamerica countries ( as Itunes Did)

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 6:13:41 PM PST
Hi, i live in Nicaragua. The kindle fire does still not working from countries outside US?, Is it posible to use with a Credit Card from Nicaragua?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:18:49 PM PST
@Oscar: No, all you can do with the Fire is to buy and download ebooks.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 4:42:16 AM PST
Edgar Correa says:
Oscar, it doesn depend of your credit card, it dependes of you IP adress machine, each region has an specific(servidores). Amazon detec this so avoid that you can buy something...

Posted on May 28, 2012 7:52:29 PM PDT
hello, Im moving to Colombia, all I really care is being able to buy ebooks and magazines FROM COLOMBIA WITH A COLOMBIAN CREDIT CARD. Is this possible? Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 8:33:15 PM PDT
Jiliana: You'll be able to buy ebooks, but I'm not sure about magazine subscriptions.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 7:16:45 PM PDT
Juan Pineda says:
Hi, it's me again. There is a new version of kindle fire. Anybody knows if it works in Colombia now?
Thank you in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 7:23:13 PM PDT
No change. They are now available in the country specific stores like the UK, France, Italy, etc, but not yet in Columbia.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 7:39:29 PM PDT
Juan Pineda says:
Does not work to buy books in kindle store? My kindle dx works fine with this...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 11:12:09 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
books are fine, it's the apps and videos that you can't buy

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 6:17:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2012 6:19:02 AM PDT
Although I'm a US resident, I actually spend most of the year in Costa Rica, Central America, and have been an avid Kindle user since the K1 came out in 2007. I always purchase and register my Kindles to a US-based Amazon account using a US credit card. Based on extensive experience using e-ink Kindles as well as the original Fire throughout Latin America, here's my advice.

First, I recommend that you use a US-based Amazon account and a US bank card, and that you leave the country setting for your Kindle as "US". If you don't have a US account, It's easy to set one up with a prepaid debit card or an Amazon gift card, using any US mailing address. Since you'll only be using it for electronic purchases, it doesn't really matter what address you use. It can be the address of a friend or family member in the US or even an address picked at random from the internet or a phone book. There are also paid services which allow you to do this easily. Here's one that has recieved good reviews although I've never used them: http://www.usunlocked.com/. You can find plenty of additional information about to do this by doing a Google search.

For e-book purchases, this is all you need for full access to Amazon's US Kindle bookstore with any e-ink Kindle or Kindle Fire. However, none of the Kindle Fires, including the new HD models, allow access to Amazon videos or apps from anywhere in Latin America because of territorial licensing restrictions. When you attempt to access their video or app stores, Amazon recognizes that your IP address is outside the US and you get a message stating that they are "not available in your region".

The only way I know of to get around this restriction is by using a VPN service with US-based servers. I've been using this one for several years with great success: https://www.ibvpn.com/billing/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0.

Unfortunately, the Kindle Fire does not support direct VPN connections, so you also need a VPN-enabled router. If you're going to do this, it's best to select your VPN provider first and get a router that's pre-configured to work with your VPN service. Here's a list of routers my VPN service supports: http://www.ibvpn.com/vpn-routers.html.

Alternatively, forget about the Kindle Fire and buy a pure android tablet such as the Nexus 7 which supports direct vpn connections anywhere, even at public wi-fi hotspots. I highly recommend using a vpn service from public hotspots for increased privacy and security, even in the US. They're well worth the cost.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 6:21:14 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
or sideload your apps - people have been doing that for quite some time with success

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 9:58:34 PM PDT
A. THODE says:
I have same opinion like you, they can accept non US credit card for kindle fire but for applications and game we have to go either to US personally or must have have a US credit card. What nonsense. I am fed up with new kindle fire. I think galaxy note is far far better for downloding the application, almost everything is free.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:24:32 AM PST
Thanks for the info! I just purchased a Kindle Fire and I live in Colombia. I´m not really interested in downloading any games or music. I just want to surf the web, download e-books, facebook, twitter, check my e-mail and that´s it! I thought the Kindle Fire was the best choice since it´s very economic, maybe I´m going to underutilize another tablet which might be far more expensive!

What do you guys think?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:17:34 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
being that they don't ship the Kindle Fires outside the US, unless you were in the US when you bought it from http://amazon.com, they wouldn't accept a foreign credit card

and Viviana, I think you'll like it if that's all you expect out of it

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 12:16:16 PM PST
Great!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 12:23:30 PM PST
Almost everything is free? wow.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 6:04:30 PM PST
What apps come with The kindle?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions