Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Android apps for Kindle Fire HD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2012 7:16:56 AM PST
Anita Diaz says:
Does the Kindle Fire HD play android apps?

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 7:40:20 AM PST
All Kindle Fires are Android devices, so yes, they run Android apps. However, some apps may not be compatible with the Fire.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:12:41 PM PST
Ryan says:
That's an awfully big 'however'. Although it's technically an Android platform the folks at Amazon have it locked down tighter than a snare drum. You can't access any Google specific apps: Gmail, Youtube, Google navigator (and they don't provide an alternative), Chrome, Firefox (not Google, but open source and hence banned). You can't access Google's marketplace either, you have to go through Amazon's, which is significantly smaller, has much less user-developed apps, and charges on many that are free on Google Play. The Kindle is a great device, but they have taken a very Apple-esque approach to controlling what you do with your device; which was exactly what Android set out to change.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:30:13 PM PST
That's not entirely true. You can side load any compatible Android app, including those from Google Play. I have a lot of apps on my Fires that are not accessible via the Amazon store. It's easy to do and no rooting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:32:30 PM PST
T. Cannon says:
I have found that it is fairly easy to side load Apps that are not in the Amazon App Store. Getjar is my friend. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:58:26 PM PST
D. Beck says:
I have the Kindle Fire 7". somewhere I saw a person talking about an app that ammy has for the Fire that I can put my books into Collections. I was actually on the 1-click page, and something happened and I lost it all, do any of you know where I can find this back again, or have you all heard about it? its 2.99 and new. Thanks so much. and what do you mean by "side load" what is that? thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:37:41 PM PST
There are a couple collections apps, both have mixed reviews:

Book Collections

Collections for Kindle Fire HD

Google how to side load apps and Kindle Fire and you'll find some great directions and videos that will help you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:12:59 PM PST
D. Beck says:
Thank you so much. have a great day. Dar

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:09:01 AM PST
bruce kerr says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:00:54 PM PST
bruce kerr says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 3:35:42 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 1:54:15 PM PST
Joseph G Dew says:

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 2:01:25 PM PST
Here is a great article that explains how to sideload apps from Google Play on to the Kindle Fire. It's for the 1st gen Fire, but the procedure is still the same. Note that this only works with free apps.

http://androidcowboy.com/2012/01/how-to-sideload-apps-on-kindle-fire/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:51:04 PM PST
What is "Getjar"?? I'm new to the Kindle Fire HD - bought it for myself for Christmas. Is driving me absolutely insane!! All assistance most gratefully accepted!!!!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 4:16:54 PM PST
GetJar is a reputable place to get apps from, as is 1mobile.com. Since the Kindle Fire does not have direct access to Google Play, these sites are often useful to find apps you cannot get from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 7:00:11 AM PST
how do you go around it to play the apps

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 7:02:55 AM PST
why cant i go online to play on my kindle it will down load the app but wont play it on line

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 1:23:15 PM PST
T. Sanders says:
I had a kindle fire app on my android and read several books. Now it's missing and I caninstall IR because it's incompatible? What happened?

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 12:00:11 PM PST
I don't have an answer for you on your question, but I have a new Android based phone, and I'm having a similar problem with another Google Play app that thinks it was installed on my phone and wasn't. It didn't download as it should have, but it shows are "Installed" on Google Play. They might be similar problems. Perhaps Google Play won't let you reinstall an app, even a free one, that you've already "purchased". I haven't had time to contact their support (Google Play's). If you can find a way to do that, you might ask them your question.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 12:04:26 PM PST
I have seen the app you're referring to. I don't remember the name. I've been thinking about purchasing it too. It showed up as recommended for me on Amazon for my Kindle. The icon looks like a bookshelf, right?? Have you tried doing a key word search in the App Store, such as collections, bookshelf, etc.? You probably have, but it's the best suggestion I have. Good luck.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 6:50:35 PM PDT
Sarah says:
How can i get yahoo instant messenger on my kindle. I have it off of amazon,but it will not download for me onto my kindle fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2013 5:30:04 AM PDT
Doglover says:
How do I do this?

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 11:15:05 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013 4:38:39 AM PDT
Thanks for sharing. Sell it on eBay or Craig's List or gift it or donate it. There are thousands of people who would be happy to take it off your hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:21:35 AM PDT
How can I add android apps to my kindle fire
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions