Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Keyboard Lighted Cover Woes...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012 2:36:17 PM PST
Brad says:
Hello all,

I have a Kindle Keyboard. I was thinking of upgrading to the Paperwhite, but I checked out my wife's and noticed a bit of non removable murkiness near the bottom of the screen caused by uneven distribution of the new lighting system. I checked around and found this to be standard, non-fixable, and so I have decided to keep my Kindle Keyboard and hope they work that problem out the next time around.

My problem is that I have the black leather lighted cover, the nice expensive one they recommend when I bought the Kindle, but I've had to exchange it twice already due to the metal prongs shifting over time and loosing contact within the Kindle, thereby causing the light to blink on and off in a most annoying and inconvenient way whenever I hit the page turn button or try and hold it in a different way in my hand. I am primarily a night time reader, so reading with this blinking light is a bit like trying to watch TV with the screen turning off and on.

So I guess I have 2 questions.

1. Does anyone know of a better lighted cover still available for the Kindle Keyboard?

2. What is the best clip on light?

Thank you for any help.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:54:53 PM PST
Dittie says:
Are you saying you're on your third lighted cover and it's doing the same thing?

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:14:57 PM PST
I put velcro dots on the back of my kk to hold it tight to the cover. No problems since.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:32:27 PM PST
Brad says:
I am saying that exactly. It always starts out fine, but after a month or two (of regular use, not reading while jogging or anything like that) is when the problem begins.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:32:54 PM PST
Brad says:
Thank you very much for the idea. I will try it.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:37:03 PM PST
Book Mom says:
the prongs on the cover will bend. which after repeated use, may be the issue. use a pair of pliers to set them straight and the light won't blink anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:43:13 PM PST
Dittie says:
I honestly don't think I've ever heard of anyone else having that problem, let alone that many times, so it seems like it can't just be a fluke or dumb luck. Time alone doesn't just alter the prongs' ability to make that connection.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:45:32 PM PST
Brad says:
I've tried that a few times already, but, after a week or so, the problem always returns. But thank you very much for the idea. I should have mentioned in my original post that I've already done some low tech tinkering.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:11:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 4:15:47 PM PST
B. P. Manuel says:
I have used the M-edge Executive Jacket, for my KK. This cover accommodates the illuminator light, sold by M-edge (battery / LED). What makes it unique is that this cover has enough room to hold the light conveniently, in use or not. I don't think M-edge makes this particular cover anymore, but Amazon warehouse has a like-new, Navy blue, Prime shipping for about $16.00. Don't know if you've ever bought from Amazon warehouse, but I have bought "like-new"covers for my Fire and Basic. They were indeed like new, and a fraction of the usual cost. I'd consider getting this Navy M-edge for myself if I needed a spare. But, I find my current KK m-edge executive Jacket still in great shape, after a year and a half! Just a thought, and an alternative for you to consider
ununused.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:19:47 PM PST
B. P. Manuel says:
M-Edge Executive Kindle Jacket, Navy Blue (Fits Kindle Keyboard) Please excuse my typo, previous message. Should be "to consider." Ignore the "unused..." :)

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:33:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 4:37:57 PM PST
RandOR says:
Kindle 3G with the black lighted cover.

Mine too has started having contact problems, and the light will blink on and off. I have tried cleaning and bending the contacts with no success. I believe the problem is with the lower prong. I clipped an ohm-meter across the contacts of the cover sans Kindle, and I can make and break continuity by slight movements of the lower prong.

For now, when I want to use the light, I have to move the Kindle to a position where it makes contact, and then try to avoid moving it with page turns. Not the best solution, but workable for the moment.

I just checked, and it seems that the lighted covers have been discontinued. I suppose some sort of surgery might be possible, but I'm hesitant to do too much to it if I can't easily replace it if I mess it up.

Randy

ETA: Oh, by the way, there is a used one for $420 if anyone is interested. :-)

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:55:28 PM PST
I use the SimpleLight for Kindle Keyboard. Like the lighted cover you have, it uses the Kindle itself to power the light. I believe there is also a case by the same company available to accommodate the Kindle Keyboard while attached to the SimpleLight.

I've been using the SimpleLight for over 1 year and 2 months, and have had no problems with it. I use it almost every night, and leave it always attached to my Kindle..

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:14:27 PM PST
Brad says:
I like the idea of using the Kindle for power. I think I'll buy a couple of different clip lights and just return the ones that don't work well.

Thank you.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:14:36 PM PST
Brad says:
I like the idea of using the Kindle for power. I think I'll buy a couple of different clip lights and just return the ones that don't work well.

Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:16:01 PM PST
Brad says:
Yes! That's exactly my problem.

And only $420? I have to check that out:)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:17:04 PM PST
Brad says:
Thank you very much for responding. I like the low price. If you say it's good then I may have to give it a shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:40:28 PM PST
~nospin says:
I think m-edge makes the best light and case for the kk.

Sale gives you a free boklight with cover purchase so both for $20

http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle3-classic.psp?device=kindle3

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:11:20 PM PST
bird lover says:
I have the same problem. I am on my third cover, and the light has died again. It will only work if the KK is held at approx. 45 degree angle to the case. I just looked, and Amazon does not seem to be selling these cases any longer. I have tried using an external light, but it gets in the way when I lie in bed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:43:42 PM PST
Brad says:
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:48:25 PM PST
Brad says:
It's so annoying, isn't it? It's hard enough these days just to find the time to read at all, and then when I do find the time I'm wrestling with this semi-lighted cover, trying to find the exact angle where I can press the page turn button without the light blinking off, pretending I'm not stressed by the whole debacle.

It's a real bummer because there's absolutely nothing wrong with my Kindle Keyboard, but this light situation is making me think about ditching it for the paperwhite. Which is poorly named because it is far, far from white.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 8:00:13 PM PST
I've taken inspiration from all those people that want to turn the PaperWhite light totally off and I now read my eInk Kindles in completele darkness. I must say my reading speed has greatly increased but my comprehension has dropped precipitously.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 1:11:32 PM PST
John D. says:
I've used several of the aftermarket lights, but when you look carefully they all have at least some unevenness in coverage. If the illumination of the Paperwhite was unusable for you, I rather doubt you'll find a clip-on light that gives a satisfactory experience.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, just really to say you probably should test them out in person before committing. I know some office supply stores carry these book lights, and you could try them that way.

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 10:48:26 AM PDT
Adventurer says:
I have gone through 3 covers myself it happens alot.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
34 3 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
121 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 8976 40 seconds ago
can this kindle work without a link to my account 2 2 minutes ago
Are free books really free? 36 4 minutes ago
How can a kindle book cost more than a paperback? 17 5 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat: Monday, July 28, 2014 67 12 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 1024 13 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 2976 20 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 3744 26 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions