Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How do I turn off the archives on my Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 12:46:55 PM PST
J. Hewitt says:
I read in one of the links, that for those of us with too many books in our archives, there is a way to turn the archives off so that my kindle with stop restarting so often.

I first would like to know how do I go about turning my archives off on my Kindle?

And second if I turn the archives off can i still download the books that I want straight to that device?

Thank you ahead of time for your help in this matter

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:49:32 PM PST
You can't turn the archives off.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:51:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 12:52:02 PM PST
seedlady says:
the archive is a list of each book you have bought from amazon. that doesn't take up much space.

i'd say delete one book from the device, then just redownload it when you are ready to read it.

(i keep about 200 - 250 books on each device, so i can choose from about 600 books at any one time. the rest just sit in the archives, waiting their turn.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:51:34 PM PST
~nospin says:
I don't know which kindle you have but you could look for parental controls for your kindle here
Amazon.com/kindlesupport

Parental controls allow you to turn off the archives yet still send books to the device through http://amazon.com/myk

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:54:16 PM PST
J. Hewitt says:
In the post titled "to many books in my kindle library" there were numerous people who discussed that they turned there archives off so that their Kindle would stop restarting so much. I asked them how to tuen ot off but they seem a little preoccupied with some other things and seemed to skip over my question, which is ok, I just need to find out how.

They did state that you couldn't do it on the Kindle Fire first generation but so far my Fire seems fine. I am just having major problems with me 3G Kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:55:28 PM PST
J. Hewitt says:
Thank you for your help... I will try that

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:55:56 PM PST
❤ Ann says:
You can't turn off the archives.

I believe some have worked around the problems by leaving their wireless turned off, and I think probably rebooting with the wireless off as well. If the device can't communicate with Amazon's servers, it can't populate the archive list. If you do this, you'll have to transfer books to the device via the USB cable.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:56:18 PM PST
Holly says:
Nospin is right. Go to your parental controls and it will disable access to your archives from the device (I don't believe the FIRE has this capability, only the e-ink readers). For folks having a very large archives which is causing the device to constantly reboot, this seems to help.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:59:03 PM PST
J. Hewitt says:
Thank you Nospin and Holly K
I will definitely try to add the parental controls tonight and hope that helps with some of my issues.

thanks again for all of your suggestions

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:00:52 PM PST
~nospin says:
You are welcome J. Hewitt
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions