Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire won't charge plugged into computer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 6:37:25 PM PST
Just got a Kindle Fire and it wont charge when plugged into my computer. I have a macbook pro. It will however charge using a wall charger. USB ports on the computer definitely work. Any ideas????????

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 2:07:51 PM PST
Amanda says:
I am having the same problem with my sons. We took his first one back yesterday because we were having charging problems and they gave us a new one and now we are just having problems when it's plugged into a computer...any computer.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 2:13:48 PM PST
Artist says:
Not all usb ports are powered. Did you try a different port? Just because the ports "work" doesn't men they output enough power to charge a device, especially a Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:52:19 PM PST
Amanda says:
I have always used this to power all of my devices, blackberry, ipad, ipod, etc. ??? would it take more than that?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:09:14 PM PST
Linda Moeai says:
I have an HP laptop ... it worked the first night, but last night... I didn't receive a full charge. I understand that you can't close the lid or put it to sleep.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:17:09 PM PST
Adam kington says:
hey Amazon..i just got my kindle fire for xmas and yes i too am havin fun charging or trying to charge it..wats up with that?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:20:50 PM PST
Artist says:
All of you need to contact Kindle customer service. This forum is a customer forum, not customer service.

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport, click on the yellow Contact Us button.

Or, just click on the Help link at the top and/or bottom of every Amazon web page.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:03:50 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
Folks,

Even in the best of circumstances trying to charge the KF from a computer is problematic. If everything is working correctly, it will take 12-13 hours to charge the device. If the usb port on the computer is not powered, it will not charge. If the PC goes to sleep or is turned off, it probably will not charge. If you try to use the KF while charging, you may well drain the battery more quickly than the device can re-charge.

Get a wall charger rated at least at 5V/1.8 amps. Don't worry if the rating is more than that. The Amazon FastCharger works well but so do many others. For example...

PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC Travel Wall Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, Amazon Kindle, Kindle DX, Kindle Fire / Noble Nook Color / HTC Flyer / Samsung Galaxy Tab Series (USB Cable not included) - White

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:37:43 PM PST
Amanda says:
what about when I have now tried to charge it with a wall charger? It is still having problems. I mean it comes on for about 2 seconds and glows orange/red saying it is charging and then you move or sometimes it just turns off on it's own. We just took the 1st one back yesterday because we couldn't get it to charge or it have to be sitting in a certain position to charge...I would really like to think I don't have to do it to this one too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:55:01 PM PST
Artist says:
Contact customer service.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:17:37 PM PST
Probably one end of the cable is not secure.
Get it charging and don't touch it.

When it is charged, use Battery HD Pro to calibrate the battery. This app is great because you can see when it is charging.

If you are using a low. Olt charger, the Fire will tell you this on the pulldown notification screen.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:30:25 AM PST
I love my kindle fire but it is way too much work. It doesn't charge at all from my computer and it takes approximately 12hrs (on a good day) to charge from the wall. REALLY?!?! This is a good product?? I might have to trade it in for a nook. You would think someone would have figured this out by now and fixed it. Maybe we can do a "lemon law" with the Kindle Fire.

Marie

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:30:26 AM PST
I love my kindle fire but it is way too much work. It doesn't charge at all from my computer and it takes approximately 12hrs (on a good day) to charge from the wall. REALLY?!?! This is a good product?? I might have to trade it in for a nook. You would think someone would have figured this out by now and fixed it. Maybe we can do a "lemon law" with the Kindle Fire.

Marie

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 10:50:15 AM PST
Marie, it is the charger you are using that is making it charge so slowly. If you buy the correct one, it would charge from the wall plug in 2-4 hours, depending on battery status when you plugged it in.

Amazon Kindle 9W PowerFast Adapter for Accelerated Charging

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 4:26:13 AM PST
Quinn Noa says:
When I plug in my kindle to charge overnight, the light doesn't come on and it wont charge. Sometimes if I place the kindle in a certain position the light will come on but it wont get a substantial charge. I'm really tired of this and I just want to fix the problem. By the way I'm actually thinking of selling the kindle and getting the ipad mini fir less trouble.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 4:39:55 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Have you by chance actually talked to customer service...you know...the people who could actually help you with this?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 4:58:53 AM PST
Quinn Noa, if you have a first generation Fire, there is a known issue with the charging port. You need to speak with Kindle CS.

Click Help or Customer Service (it varies depending on browser) and then Contact Us on the right of the next page. The Call Me option, or the Chat option, both work very well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 5:42:54 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I think it is funny that Quinn Noa is complaining about a problem charging it yet states they are thinking of selling it to pass the problem onto someone else....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 6:02:10 PM PST
Quinn Noa says:
Um yes because I don't want to deal with it and whoever gets it will know about the problem. So thanks for your opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 6:04:34 PM PST
Quinn Noa says:
Okay thanks for your help! I will definitely take your advice

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 11:56:20 AM PST
Zac Moya says:
Hey guys i have a kindle fire HD and i has some problems charging it using USB connected to my laptop (Dell Vostro)
and i found out the problem it depends on the USB port you are using three of my ports standard and 3.0 don't work but the USB eSATA port does its charges but under one condition the screen must be off. you can turn it on real quick to see the battery charging but it stops until to turn the screen off. So try any eSATA USB ports on your laptop and it should work hope this helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 1:51:14 PM PST
StevieH says:
I think a class action is way to go. I am so unhappy with mine. I bought books games :( Wont hold a charge for a minute!!!

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 3:37:23 PM PST
Lasantha H says:
My kindle didnt charger when i pluged it in the computer so i got a cheep wall charger and it worked you should use this app below to see if your device works

Battery

You should see the differences with charging using the computer then wall charger

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 11:39:13 AM PST
Lynn Osborne says:
I just called Amazon about my Kindle not charging and they are sending me a new one! And it is not under warranty! Now that's good Customer Service!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:13:27 PM PST
BirukT says:
So what you are saying is I just paid $200 for a Kindle Fire HD and you can't throw in a decent charger? Actually I got mine for free, but the idea still stands. Every other device I own charges just fine (even during use) when attached to an ordinary 3.0 USB. Don't get me wrong, there is a certain warrant for aftermarket parts, but the charger? Really?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS 4.8
0 26 days ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
41 4 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 342 12 seconds ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 3579 1 minute ago
Diff between Kindle and Kindle app on laptop,tab,&android.?? 20 1 minute ago
kindle keyboard -3g not working 36 1 minute ago
Latest Kindle Update on Android 1 3 minutes ago
can you read books offline on the kindle 32 4 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 4639 5 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 6120 5 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  May 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions