Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle books advertised but not available for downloading

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2012 4:44:42 PM PST
I don't know how common it is that books are advertised for the kindle user, but purchases and downloading are prevented for some reason or another. My recent experience was with the book "The Ultimate Christmas Fake Book" (music book with lyrics, chords and melody). Has anyone else had similar problems?

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:49:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 4:55:47 PM PST
Arual says:
Hello Mr. Charles,

Sometimes books cannot be read well on e-ink Kindles, and so are not available for them. Some examples might be books with detailed maps, charts, photographs, or things like that. In your case, the music probably precludes this book from being available. There should be a drop-down box in the book description that specifies which devices it will work with.

Update: Mr. Charles, I looked at the book, and I see that you are right - there is nothing to indicate which devices it will work with. But because it is not available anymore, it leads me to believe that there have been a lot of complaints about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 4:52:00 PM PST
You have to remember that you are not in the US. Some books are not available to non-US customers due to copyright laws/distribution rights. Most ads are aimed at the US customers - not people in other areas.

Sometimes the books are formatted for certain Kindles and not others. This is stated on the book's product page.

In both of these cases, there is absolutely nothing that Amazon can do about it. The publishers/authors control where the books can be purchased as well as formatting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:26:16 PM PST
So where did you see it advertised as being for the kindle user?

I've got a few books of sheet music on my kindle, but mostly classical stuff that's well out of copyright. It can be done, but you're right - the music is very small on the 6" kindle screen :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:51:51 PM PST
Arual says:
CBP, Mr. Charles reviewed it. If you go to his profile page, you can get to it.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:07:41 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
I've been wanting to get this one.. Has a Kindle page, but you still can't buy it..

Red Thunder

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 6:22:33 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 23, 2012 6:24:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 6:54:12 PM PST
Thank you, Arual. You are, of course, correct about detailed maps, charts, etc. on the e-ink kindle screens. However, many of us also use the appropriate e-book apps on our laptops and desktops, where this is not really an issue in most cases.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:00:12 PM PST
Thank you, Vickie; that may indeed be the case. Although I have had no problems with ordering printed Fake (music) Books from the U.S.A., I recognize that copyright and distribution laws may be different for electronic formats. I'll get one of my many American friends to help me check this out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:09:06 PM PST
It is is advertised on the amazon site, under URL: The Ultimate Christmas Fake Book: for Piano, Vocal, Guitar, Electronic Keyboard & All "C" Instruments (Fake Books)

Many, perhaps even most, of the selections in the Fake (music) books that I have purchased are indeed well out of copyright.

Although the Fake Book pages may not display clearly on the small kindle screen, many of us also use e-book apps for our laptops and desktops, with large monitors.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:12:10 PM PST
I'm in the US, and it is saying "Pricing information not available." under the Kindle edition.

Probably either the publisher or Amazon pulled it for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:24:37 PM PST
Thank you Coleen. Arual may be correct in suggesting that there may have been complaints about this book because (of its music scores and chord charts) it may not display very well on the small e-ink Kindle screens. Amazon and Kindle may not be aware that there are many of us who use our Kindles for some books, and our laptop and desktop apps for many other books. Perhaps they need two e-book categories - Kindle appropriate and desktop app appropriate. I wonder is anyone from Amazon or Kindle scans the submissions to this forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:28:14 PM PST
Harvey, You should probably contact the publisher releasing the Kindle edition with your feedback regarding this title.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:10:19 PM PST
Yes, Arual, I'd read his review before I asked the question. Nowhere in that does he say WHERE there's actually a kindle edition advertised; in fact, he expresses disappointment that the kindle edition isn't available.

I realise that, being in Australia, I can't always see what you guys can see, but there's no kindle edition AT ALL showing up anywhere for me, even in an "available in these formats" box. That's why I asked where he'd "seen it advertised".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:14:31 PM PST
Harvey, that link is to a hard copy. I'm still not seeing where you've seen it advertised as being available for the kindle.

And however old the songs are, that book was published in 1992, which is well within copyright. Usually, when they publish a book of songs like that, the particular arrangements are copyrighted even though the original songs may be public domain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:43:10 PM PST
Beth Sexton says:
CBP in the States we can see a Kindle edition.

The Ultimate Christmas Fake Book: for Piano, Vocal, Guitar, Electronic Keyboard & All "C" Instruments (Fake Books)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:14:54 PM PST
Thanks, Beth; that answers what I was asking.

Another thought that occurred to me is that there might have been some accidental breach of copyright and Hal Leonard has had to withdraw the book from sale until it's fixed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 4:17:52 AM PST
Harvey, the copyright/distribution rights of paper books is based on the location of the store selling the item. The copyright/distribution rights of eBooks is based on the buyer's location. I'm not sure of the logic behind this but that's the way it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 5:50:29 PM PST
Thank you, Vicki. The various comments and suggestions from you and others have been very helpful. I will contact the publisher to see if they plan to re-release the "Christmas Fake Book" as an e-Book for laptop or desktop usage, perhaps for next Christmas. I wish all of you a pleasant holiday and a happy New Year.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions