Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Will the Kindle Fire have page numbers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2011 5:49:54 PM PDT
Sean Morgan says:
This is the only question I have about the Fire. I have a galaxy tab 10.1 that I use with the Kindle app and I can't tell you how annoying it is to only have locations instead of real page numbers for books. I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. Will the Fire have a modified version of the android app with page numbers or is it going to be exactly the same thing. The plan was to sell the tab when the fire comes out but if its going to be the same song and dance then I may as well just get a normal Kindle. Thank you to whoever has an accurate answer.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 5:53:03 PM PDT
Jwb52z says:
Since the Kindle Fire is not only an ebook reader, this is kind of an odd question, but it will have a Kindle app on it, so yes it should have page numbers for books which are formatted for them.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 6:10:34 PM PDT
Sean Morgan says:
Well I do a lot with my tablets including reading kindle books. The Ipad version got their page number update months ago but android is still waiting. I can't imagine Amazon leaving something like this off their own tablet but since it is based off android i fear its just going to be the same exact app i am using now with my galaxy tab.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 7:17:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 7:21:55 PM PDT
SteveD says:
Interesting. My Kindle for iPod Touch has page numbers (never noticed because you have to go looking) but my Kindle 2, where I do all my reading, doesn't. I never knew this feature existed, but now that I do I will cancel my Fire pre-order if it is not included.

(Sorry, Sean. Your post was perfectly reasonable. I couldn't resist making the joke ;-)

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 8:50:07 AM PDT
I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. Have always found it extremely annoying not having actual page numbers. Hopefully it's an issue that will finally be dealt with.

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 8:56:48 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
When I turn the page and I'm still on the same page, it makes my head hurt. Page numbers that tell you what page this would be if only this book were printed on paper may be useful to students and book club members, but I find them disorienting to the ebook reading experience. That's why I'm happy Amazon put them where you can't see them unless you go look. (Other ereaders and apps display them right on the page.)

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 3:12:50 PM PDT
I agree with Clark. I have read probably over 50 books on my K2 and have never even thought about page numbers. I rather prefer knowing I am 50% complete since unlike a DTB where I can physically see how far along I am, a page number only provides a reference if I know or remember how many pages in the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 6:54:56 AM PST
That my sentiment exactly, I want one , but if it does not have page numbers, I can search for something better.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 6:57:28 AM PST
Hi, that is my sentiment exactly. I want page numbers if it dos not have page numbers I can search for something better.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 6:59:23 AM PST
Who can give the answer to that particulary question, before I take a chance to purchase a Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 7:01:03 AM PST
I am waiting on a respond from the Company. Step up to the plate Amazon.
Thanks, Pennie

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 8:22:40 AM PST
C. Claiborn says:
Amazon doesn't generally answer questions here.

The latest Android Kindle app has page numbers on supported books. If you update the app on your tablet, you may find them. We have every reason to think that the Fire will too, since it shares the Kindle app.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 2:51:29 PM PST
I can not find a "real page" number on the Fire. Any recommendations / news on this front?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 3:03:48 PM PST
Kindle Customer Support has said that page numbers are "not yet available" on the Fire.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 3:16:07 PM PST
Serene Night says:
I liked the percentage finished that is on my black and white kindle. Because this is auto hidden on KFire I often have no clue where I am in a book or magazined and don't like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 3:36:38 PM PST
Bjeans says:
You just tap anywhere on the page and it shows up.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 3:49:10 PM PST
B. Marks says:
I think it's important to realize that what Amazon and other ebook device makers call page numbers have no more connection to printed books page numbers than do locations. They're the same thing; something to help you figure out how far along you are.

They can't make page numbers correspond to printed book pages because which printed book would they use? The hardback? The paperback?

Ebooks aren't printed books. Page numbers in them are simply an artificial way to satisfy people who feel they need page numbers. They're a placebo. Why do people complain about the lack of a placebo?

Personally I use the percentage to gauge my progress.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 4:12:10 PM PST
D. Evans says:
The built-in help for the Fire says "Kindle Fire does not presently support page numbers"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:39:59 AM PST
Good morning, thank you for the information about the page numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:47:26 AM PST
For those books that do have page numbers, they do correspond to a paper edition. When you look at the product description, you will see:

Product Details

Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 3698 KB
Print Length: 939 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0307593312

If you enter the ISBN, it will take you to the corresponding paper edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:47:42 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Barry, that turns out not to be the case.

Kindle books' page numbers, when present, correspond exactly to a specified paper edition of a given book. The edition from which the page numbers derive is specified in the product description. For example:

Product Details
Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 2621 KB
Print Length: 866 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1451627289
Publisher: Scribner; Original edition (November 8, 2011)
Sold by: Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Language: English

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:49:00 AM PST
Thank you for your opinion, it has nothing to do with placebo. I know what I want and also know that location is differnt than page numbers. Going to the menu back and forth is time consuming.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 6:49:16 AM PST
Fuzzy says:
The book that I am currently reading has page numbers on the K3. No page numbers are showing up on the Fire for the same book.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 5:09:05 PM PST
Lisa Dennis says:
OK thinking about both the Fire and Nook tablet. I'm a college student and when I down load a textbook on my regular Kindle no numbers. This is a big issue when the professor give page numbers to read. The Nook tablet offers this feature, making it easier for me to use for school and classes. THis is attrative just for the ease of use on this front.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 9:37:41 AM PST
Mike Bethany says:
Magical numbers that increment in mysterious amounts are even more migrane inducing.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 2 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Convert PDF to Kindle format 117 14 seconds ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 2774 19 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 8595 3 minutes ago
Bluetooth on Kindle Fire HD 47 5 minutes ago
Transfer purchased books between Kindle devices 23 12 minutes ago
Dose it support Chinese language? 2 15 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 4570 22 minutes ago
charts 2 27 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions