Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

adding memory to kindle fire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2011 4:05:59 PM PST
Can you download additional memory on the kindle fire?

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 4:06:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 4:06:39 PM PST
The Artist says:
No. But you have the cloud to store all your media.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 4:11:37 PM PST
BK says:
That would be cool if you could download memory into your memory. May cause a temporal rift or something...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 4:19:20 PM PST
The Artist says:
Really! Then all time would be happening simultaneously, which means you could have already read a book before it was even written.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 4:44:44 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Memory is hardware how would you download memory?

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 4:47:11 PM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
There's an app for that!

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 4:49:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 4:49:27 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Didn't they do that to Arnie in "Total Recall?"

I forget.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 4:59:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 5:12:55 PM PST
G. Davis says:
There can be no app for "downloading" memory for the reason that James Bernard already points out. However, as noted, your Kindle and other files can be stored in Amazon's cloud. In that instance (non volatile user memory, rather like having another disk drive connected to your PC) it looks a bit like Apple's new iCloud. However, Kindle doesn't support file commands, or directory control. I suppose that the thought behind this is that users will do all of the organizing of their files via their PC. Still, I can't see how Kindle can go forward without this important feature added to the Kindle menu and capability and suspect that it is coming if it hasn't already been introduced.
I have been trying to assess what my choices are for a light duty tablet that allows me to be away from my laptop and be as close to fully "laptop functional" as possible. At a minimum I want to be connected and receive, read, and respond to email, be able to reference and edit a contact directory that can be synched with MS Outlook, download eBooks, movies, video shorts, music, pdf files, and MS word, excel, and powerpoint files, and surf the web. Would love to hear any tips that a reader may have to help my search. The most fully featured, and expensive option is to get a so-called Ultrabook that attempts to be all things to all people. I suspect that is what I want, all things, in a light and portable pacakage. But eager to hear if anyone has looked for something similar and has any suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 5:09:37 PM PST
The Artist says:
If you want a production tablet, buy one. The iPad is $300 more than the Fire -- of course it's more like a laptop than the Fire is. The Fire is a device for media consumption -- viewing movies, reading books, listening to music. There may be apps for other features, but you're not going to get full laptop functionality from a $199 device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 5:31:00 PM PST
G. Davis says:
Thanks Blaiz, that is helpful though I sense a bit of impatience in your comments. It isn't that I intended to just exercise the Kindle fanboy base. I need to decide what can be productive for me and simply want to know what device is out there that comes closest. Reading further I had pretty well come to the same conclusion that you advise, and that is that the Kindle is really only for media consumption, and not even best for that. You are absolutely right, iPad comes closest....though I have resisted diving into that highly closed environment for a number of reasons. Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 5:36:54 PM PST
MatthewJP says:
no

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 5:51:10 PM PST
The Artist says:
I don't remember feeling impatient when answering you question, but it's possible. I am usually very to-the-point (blunt, if necessary) because I worked in the legal field for 22 years. I'm glad you were able to get the info you needed, regardless of how it seemed to be presented.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 6:03:29 PM PST
G. Davis says:
Thanks again. This is funny. As if to que on our exchange I just received a news link: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/microsoft-wheres-your-199-windows-tablet/19271?tag=nl.e539 Check it out. One thing seems to be sure, and even ubiquitous, in the CE/Tech product sphere: If you don't like what you see, wait a few minutes. Cheers again.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 11:59:36 AM PST
Dennis Rymon says:
I work in remote areas with limited (if any) access to the internet. My wife got me the Kindle Fire just so I could enjoy a good book with my crappy and uncorrectable vision. It's cool that the Fire can do all this other stuff, but without sufficient storage to do so when the internet is internot, thank God I haven't given up the laptop yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 1:02:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2012 1:04:55 PM PST
Gosh. I'm really impressed at your ability to waltz into a forum and make so many friends so quickly.

No. Really. You're a master at it.

I'm especially envious of your ability to turn phrases so effectively.

Things like "Amazon fanboys" and "Kindle is really only for media consumption, and not even best for that."

VERY impressive. That first phrase quoted? So original. So succinct. SO clever! Please, you MUST tell us. How DID you EVER think that one up?

And the pure selflessness evident in your post. To offer us the (sincerely appreciated) opportunity to exercise, when that wasn't even your only goal!

Color me impressed.

Now please, go and enjoy your ipad in your "highly closed environment" under the bridge. With my compliments.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 1:30:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2012 1:32:14 PM PST
Denis Powell says:
Post deleted - didn't realise I was replying to one from November.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 1:38:05 PM PST
J. Donahue says:
I don't understand your point.

The Fire has PLENTY of memory to store lots of books on the device itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 6:02:52 PM PST
Now that you've deleted yours....ours don't make much sense either. At least, not in respect to the time frame. :-)

Oh well, it does give me the opportunity to call it.

ALERT!!! ALERT EVERYONE!!! ZOMBIE POST!!! I repeat... ZOMBIE POST!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 7:02:35 AM PDT
biomad says:
The memory is sufficient for books but videos (particularly movies) can easily take up space.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 2:04:23 AM PDT
Greetings and salutations all. I have had my Fire for a few months now and love it. I have no videos downloaded and am being prompted by the device I am low on memory. I have removed several items from my device, but with little improvement to the remaining memory. Granted, the cloud drive can store all the media, but I can only access it while connected to Wi-Fi. Short of buying a different device, how do I store more music on it so I can listen at work?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 4:52:13 AM PDT
dfn.ninja says:
Are you sure it's not saying your low on app space? Only about one gigabyte is available for apps. Also some apps will add large resource packs to your other available space. Maybe try a reset by holding the power button for thirty seconds then tapping it to power on. It's also a good idea to delete from the device rather than from your pc while looking through the folders. Starting a new thread would get you more help as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 12:10:11 PM PDT
Greetings dfn.ninja,
I appreciate you responding. I have about half of the app memory left, but my internal storage is low. It says I have 243.52 MB of 5.36GB left. I have about 400 songs on the Fire and around 15 books. I wouldn't think what I have on it should be more than 5GB. I'll try everything you said. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 1:02:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 1:03:43 PM PDT
1. Books...20-30
2. Movies...20-30

NOT enough memory to accomplish. Many of us travel (13 hr flight to Rome from California, 2 weeks on a cruise ship at sea, etc--often internet access doesn't exist or is stupidly expensive. The whole idea of a mini tablet is to travel light with instant access to desired media. Cloud storage is worthless without an internet connection.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 1:13:16 PM PDT
edfan says:
Davis, for portability, I now think the closest thing to an ipad killer is the Costco version of the Acer Aspire One 722. The extras that Costco piles on, such as the 500 gig drive, the excellent screen, the handy keyboard (I'm a light touch typist, the keyboard tends to bend a tad under heavy assault) and the slots-galore extensibility are wrapped up in a tiny little package which is as easy to carry as my iPad, though not as easy as the Kindle Fire.

The Kindle Fire has AMAZON.COM to offer and that has made it my daily driver. But for a vacation day, I'd probably take the Acer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 1:16:05 PM PDT
edfan says:
The gripes I have around ipad are really gripes against fascist 'tude on the part of Apple. The hardware is nice enough but the ipad 1 was sloooow. The ipad 2 is better. The 3 seems less connected and slower than the 2. I'm disillusioned with tablets actually, they aren't suitable for typing even shortish messages. I wouldn't be writing this message if I had to use a tablet without a separate, real keyboard.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 8376 14 seconds ago
FireOS 4.5.1 - sound sporadically adjusting? 397 3 minutes ago
ECHO's of Friendship 82 5 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1967 9 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 9568 15 minutes ago
enable cookies hd fire 0 17 minutes ago
Conversations with Echo 575 38 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 5967 45 minutes ago
Just received my new Kindle Voyage and it is flawless 3 57 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions