Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Turn off the Light Petition

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 9:36:12 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 12, 2012 2:40:47 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:45:29 AM PST
Great, except Amazon doesn't read the forums so you will have achieved nothing. Here is the Amazon contact -

kindle-feedback@amazon.com
kindle-fire-feedback@amazon.com

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:00:24 AM PST
Meh.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:43:01 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
No thanks. The product is designed to operate with the light on. It's not called the PaperGray.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:07:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 1:43:15 PM PST
Chance says:
Agreed. The Paperwhite was designed to be used with the light on at all times. If that's something you don't like, there are other Kindle models out there that may suit you better.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:09:45 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
When I turn the light down to below 5 and there is any other light in the room, I can't see the PW light AT ALL.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:10:42 PM PST
T. Gray says:
I would love the option to turn the light completely off. I think 50% of users do as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:13:45 PM PST
How did you arrive at that number?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:13:49 PM PST
JES says:
You don't have to make up statistics to make your point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:13:50 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
I bet most people never realize the light is still on at the low setting unless they are a in a pitch black room.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:18:51 PM PST
T. Gray says:
My statistics came from the update thread. I posted a request for the light to turn off option and people here tend to vote yes if they agree instead of whether it adds to the discussion. Based on the number of "yes" votes, it is about 50% of people who agree there should be a light off option.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:20:51 PM PST
JES says:
Lol. I can see you never took a statistics class in college.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:22:07 PM PST
T. Gray says:
Also this is the wrong thread to post your disapproval of people to have the option since it is a petition FOR the option, not "Do you think there should be the option to turn the light off?". or "Are you for denying others the option of turning the light off?" thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:24:55 PM PST
T. Gray says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:25:35 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
I don't think any said they are for denying others the option but some of us said for us it is not a big deal. So don't hold your breath waiting for Amazon to jump on this change.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:26:56 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
To begin with the number of people who read this forum represent a small number of Kindle owners. The number who comment are even a smaller number. The ones who use the "yes"/"no" buttons are a very, very small number of all the Kindle owners.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:29:35 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Right. So then you can claim that 100% of people want the light to go off. I think you took Karl Rove's statistics class.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:36:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 1:42:07 PM PST
T. Gray says:
No I couldn't claim 100% in this thread as a statistic of the general public obviously. But the PW software update thread is a good indicator. It wasn't intended to be a hard analysis based on a survey of every Kindle owner. Just like when people exit voting places. They have the option to reveal how they voted to people who assume what the probable outcome of the election is.

Update: See, even now "no" votes when clearly this is what the discussion is about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:39:23 PM PST
JES says:
When you make up statistics to support your claim without a thorough analysis you lose all credibility.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:45:58 PM PST
T. Gray says:
I didn't assume I had your credibility as you don't know me. People who negate others opinion because its not their own are less credible. The people who have no need for the light to go off lose NOTHING by the ability being added. So why the need to act like something may be taken away from you and comment like others desire to have the option is ridiculous and greedy?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 2:41:31 PM PST
Never mind. This discussion thread is being wasted.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 2:47:31 PM PST
I still can't conceive of a time that I might want to turn the light all the way off. Why would anyone want that option?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 2:48:39 PM PST
Wayne says:
Looks like 100% of people who started this thread gave up.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:02:22 PM PST
Artist says:
I played with a Paperwhite in my home for 2 days. I couldn't even read the screen without the light, while I could read my K3 in the same room with the same light. I don't know if it was just an optical illusion since the frame of the PW is black and my K3 is white, but I wouldn't be able to use it without any light at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 3:05:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 3:06:58 PM PST
Erich says:
The number of statistical biases that could exist by taking a sample with that method is simply mind-boggling.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
My Kindle app disappears when I turn off my Lenovo Android tablet 11 1 minute ago
Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation) Software Updates 8 1 minute ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6341 6 minutes ago
repair needed appears on kindle screen 34 7 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 972 10 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - February 2016 182 17 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 8501 29 minutes ago
RAOK, welcome to the wonderful world of RAOK 6489 1 hour ago
Kindle app for Android - invalid item problem 343 1 hour ago
February 2016, Informal Poll, what are you reading 51 1 hour ago
Unable to find discussions tab when I'm on the Amazon site with my IPAD 0 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions