Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle ebook prices in the Netherlands

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 1:12:46 AM PST
During the last few days I have tried to purchase books from amazon.com using the designator EUROPE, I am resident of the Netherlands. I noticed what looked like good prices for old favourites e.g Robert Ludlum books for usd 5.76 when trying to buy prices from usd 11 plus for the Netherlands. I have never had this proble before. Amazon CS (4contacts) no sensible annswer. Help and ideas please

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:45:07 AM PST
It's all about distribution rights. On eBooks the price is based upon the destination. Since, in your case, the destination is the Netherlands, you are charged that price. Amazon.com prices things for a US destination and then adjusts the price once you click, for your destination. Amazon is just following the law here.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:53:55 AM PST
Kribu says:
LingoA, are you a new Kindle user / have you changed your country settings recently if not?

In my experience, the "Europe" region doesn't matter a whole lot as far as prices go. I've kept an eye on various country prices for a while and I've noticed that pretty much any "genre" book that is $7.99 for US customers will be $5.76 for those customers in continental Europe that have their own Kindle stores (certainly for the French and the Austrians as I have friends in those countries still using Amazon.com for their Kindle purchases) and those same books are invariably $11.03 for me here in Estonia.

It varies a little for other books, but for a standard genre book (urban fantasy in my case, mysteries, thrillers), that $7.99 US / $5.76 EU with their own Kindle stores / $11.03 for the rest of EU pricing scheme seems to be pretty routine.

So I'm thinking the same pricing scheme applies to you in the Netherlands as to me here (and of course we EU residents outside the EU countries with their own Kindle stores get the $2 Amazon surcharge + VAT added to our books).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:09:32 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Since I got my first K2i the moment it was made available internationally, prices from Croatia (for editions available globally) were US price + $2. EU users used to report (US + $2) + 15%. Now the situation seems to be slightly more complicated: free books are actually free (not $2 or $2.30), but other prices are sometimes not simply US ones plus fixed markup. Of course, if there are separate regional editions, they are priced independently.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:13:56 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
free books were $3.44 in France and to further complicate the situation, some of the books are from UK publishers, not US publishers

hint: always look in the formats available box and if there's a plus sign in front of the word Kindle, click it as there's often a cheaper price lurking under there - I've seen as much as a 9 USD difference for the same ebook from different publishers

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:19:40 AM PST
Kribu says:
Yeah, as I said, it does vary for other books. Literary fiction books don't seem to follow any pattern; some books have very different discrepancies (Tor published books for example are *massively* more expensive in Europe than in the US and actually in some cases can be slightly cheaper for me in Estonia than for my friend in Austria.

And new releases that are $9.99 for the US and the expected $13.79 for me ($9.99 + $2 + 15% VAT) can vary somewhat for continental EU customers who have their own Kindle stores, usually being somewhere between the US price and my price. (I'm only considering continental EU here as UK customers definitely get their own, independent pricing anyway for most books, being a whole separate English-language market, while continental non-native-English-speaking Europe is often that "free area" where both US and UK publishers can sell their books, which explains why there are often *two* different Kindle versions available for us, with different pricing.)

But for the bog-standard backlist / paperback-price-level genre book, the $7.99 US / $5.76 continental-EU-with-Kindle-store / $11.03 EU-without-own-Kindle-store pattern generally holds.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:22:49 AM PST
Kribu says:
CBRetriever - that cheaper price is usually there AND cheaper for you in France and my friends in Germany and Austria, but NOT for us Europeans without our own Kindle stores.

We DO get two different editions often enough (because we're also in that free "rest of the world" area where, depending on the contracts, US and UK publishers can both sell the ebooks), but they're generally both considerably more expensive than the US edition is for Americans or either edition is for you lucky people in France, Germany etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:28:37 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
no, I meant cheaper than the price shown on the top of the product page, not cheaper than the US prices - most of my prices are higher than US prices too, but occasionally they're cheaper. That reduced price thread in the main Kindle Forum is depressing sometimes as those price reductions seldom apply to me. I'm watching several books that are over 18 USD and ereaderiq keeps sending me emails that the books have dropped in price (not).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:35:15 AM PST
Kribu says:
Yes, I know what you meant - just that for us other-Europeans, it doesn't generally matter even if there is another edition; they tend to be both equally expensive.

But it's certainly never a bad idea to check, as there are usually minor differences between the two editions' prices, yes.

I've noticed Tor books in particular are very expensive for us Europeans - $11.99 or $12.99 for Americans is bad enough but the same books can easily be over $18-19 for France/Austria (and, oddly, generally "only" $16+ for me, which makes me think that Tor is one of those publishers actually setting a higher price for the non-English EU-with-own-Kindle-stores market on purpose while the rest of us get Amazon's US price + $2 + VAT pricing).

It definitely pays to wait with those books and see if they get a UK publisher at some point, in which case a considerably cheaper edition can indeed become available for us.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 2:44:12 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
Daw also tends to be high

The Wild Road: Book Three of Karavans

and I see a while 33 cents difference in this one

The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:52:07 AM PST
Kribu says:
Yes, I think Daw follows similar pricing patterns as Tor.

The Wild Road is $17.24 for me (Daw only), while The Dirty Streets of Heaven has two editions, $17.24 for Daw and $17.40 for Hodder.

Unspoken for example is $12.41 for me (Simon & Schuster UK) or $14.94 (Random House Books for Young Readers), while my Austrian friend sees three editions for this, ranging from $7.69 (Simon & Schuster UK) to $10.37 (Random House).

So, yes, the prices can vary quite a bit depending on book, publisher and location - the only thing one can be certain of is that having "Europe" as the region is not going to be a good indication about prices (it can be a relatively good indication for availability, as I think the majority of books sold in one country in "Europe" (not including the UK and possibly Ireland, if Ireland is included in UK contracts between publishers and authors) will be available in others, too, although it's not *always* so).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:57:00 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Yes, that's a very good hint.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:01:14 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
and you have the Wild Road cheaper than I do in this case as it's $18.71 for me - I have no idea what the US residents see

and the other one is $17.34/$17.01

and I see similar to your friend on Unspoken, but the $10.37 is $10.69 for me

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:01:14 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Checking that "+" several times led me to a temporary freebie.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the last few months without 15% VAT...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:05:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 3:06:01 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
" Unspoken for example is $12.41 for me (Simon & Schuster UK) or $14.94 (Random House Books for Young Readers), while my Austrian friend sees three editions for this, ranging from $7.69 (Simon & Schuster UK) to $10.37 (Random House)."

Weird. $10.79 S&S (two editions), $12.99 Random House from Croatia. No reason or rhyme...

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:15:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 3:15:44 AM PST
Kribu says:
There really doesn't seem to be a lot of reason to the pricing differences for most new books - the patterns vary more with new books than with backlist books. I think to an extent this is also to do whether something is still Agency priced or not (which can also be country-dependent) and whether Amazon itself is discounting it for some countries or not.

CBR - The Wild Road and The Dirty Streets of Heaven are both $12.99 for US, as far as I can tell.

So, yeah. Certainly for European customers, prices are something to check carefully - they'll often be different from the price displayed somewhere else (recommendations, search) before actually clicking through to the book page (although sometimes I get the correct-for-me price displayed in recommendations/search - that also seems random, sometimes I get the US price displayed there) and of course there's the US/UK publisher/edition to check, too, which we do often get.

I just noticed that for Crewel (Crewel World) the US edition's price is $13.79 for me while there is also a UK edition that is only $5.99 for me ... that is certainly a rare example of a very significant difference (oddly, the UK edition shows as if it's also MUCH shorter in page numbers, but a quick look inside shows the samples being identical in length/content in spite of the two samples being of the different editions).

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:21:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 3:26:17 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
for The Wild Road, I'd buy it for the $12.99 price as that's close to the normal paperback price for ebooks in english in France (9.99 euros), but I'll be patient and wait

and here's one I see a wide difference on prices on: King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 2) at $18.21 Ace (another high priced publisher in the EU) and $11.84 Harper Voyager and I'm just waiting on a few more cents drop on this one and here's what the prices have been for the cheaper one since May 2: 11.84 12.06 11.84 11.60 11.84 - seems to vary with the exchange rate

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:32:46 AM PST
Kribu says:
King of Thorns is also $12.99 in the US - $13.79 for the Harper Voyager and $17.24 for Ace for me. And this time there's a clear difference, then, for the US edition's price for France and Austria - my Austrian friend sees $11.84 for Harper Voyager, same as you, but $16.13 for the Ace version.

It's interesting how much this can vary.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:15:11 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
it's interesting in that there's usually no way we know what other people are paying for certain books

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:53:50 AM PST
After reading all the answers it appears, after further checking that this is a coincidence my wanting cheaper older books, whereas previoulsy I only purchased newer books. Maybe this is also connected to rumoured coming of an amazon store in the Netherlands by the end of the year. Many thanks for all the comments and help.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
27 3 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5.1
46 6 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 21 days ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK #78 and still going! 2460 4 minutes ago
Do you recommend Leather Case and Screen Guard for a New Kindle? 0 8 minutes ago
Kindle Unlimited Improvement 0 10 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 3070 29 minutes ago
Kindle 4 frozen halfway through boot 0 42 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4209 42 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 92 52 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions