Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Deleting Personal Documents from Amazon's "Your Kindle Library" is WAY too slow....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2012 9:40:46 AM PDT
The delete option on Amazon's web interfaces is insanely slow and difficult to use. I've got bunches files to delete but it's SO slow. Hover, then move, then click delete, then click yes, then wait, then repeat.

I haven't seen anyone create a list type interface in years that doesn't let me check multiple boxes, then click delete. Or click select all then click delete.

Has anyone figured out a faster way to do this?
A script of some sort? An Apple automated script? Anything?

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 9:42:11 AM PDT
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 9:44:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 13, 2012 9:45:29 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 9:50:02 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 9:56:47 AM PDT
That doesn't help me delete the 1000 that I want to delete and and I don't want to delete all of my documents, just most of them.

More importantly, I'll still want to send some documents and have them be there (ones I want to keep and sync between devices).

Thanks anyways,
Gary

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 10:12:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 10:12:55 AM PDT
Gary,
I use a slight work around that helps if you are deleting older files that don't show up on your first page of documents. Open two different windows with MYK open in both, use the first one to look at the list, use the second one to search for the file and delete. At least then you don't have to page back to where you were in the list when you go to delete the next file.
Apart from that, there is no easier way to delete from archives that I have found. I've been purging my archives of free book that I started getting in 2010 when I got my first kindle (due to the archive size slowing down my kindle keyboard) but I never really do more than 10 or so before I get frustrated and give up! Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 10:25:01 AM PDT
I feel your pain. It is the same way with a new device and you want to download a number of books - one at a time and then the Kindle has to refresh or something. It takes a long time to download 10 - 20 books because of this.

Who ever set up the web interface/Kindle software never thought that anyone would have more than 10 books or documents in total. I totally agree that Amazon should bring the web interface, at least, if not the Kindle software (for the apps) up to today's standard.

Unfortunately I haven't found a work around.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 12:49:46 AM PDT
lepture says:
can't agree more

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 12:55:51 AM PDT
Sad thing is the interface is very nice on the iPad and the iPhone now. If you set up a new iDevice and one install a bunch of books from your Amazon Kindle account it's super easy!

Haven't seen the new Kindle android app, perhaps that is easy too.

Gary

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 3:25:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2012 3:27:21 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Gary, somebody posted on another thread this bookmarklet that will delete all documents your filter displays (be careful!) :

javascript:(function(){ var v = new RegExp("PersonalDocuments"); if (!v.test(document.URL)) { return false; } {a=document.getElementsByClassName('rowBodyCollapsed');for(var i = 0; i<a.length; i++){Fion.deleteItem('deleteItem_'+a[i].getAttribute('asin'));};return; }})();

Edit: I suppose this could be adapted for mass sending to a device, too.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 9:04:18 PM PDT
So I need to post that into the URL line of my document minute what skewed this is where right? Or?????

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 2:34:39 PM PDT
Excellent. That works, it's still a little awkward but 15 times better than doing it Amazon's way!!!

Thanks Dragi!

FYI: I did the search in my personal documents, pasted the above script in the URL line (web address) of my web browser and it marked all the documents on the screen as deleted!

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 12:33:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 3:53:31 AM PDT
nadie says:
Yeah, fancy-looking interfaces usually suck at usability. I modified the above javascript to remove duplicates from my library. To use it open your personal docs page with Google Chrome, hit F12, paste the following code in the console tab and hit enter. Modify the pageList.gotoPage(xx) line setting xx to be any page in your library and run for as many pages there are in your library. The script sorts by title, jumps to the desired page and removes duplicates.

mykJS.fadeOut = 20000;
pageList.pageSize = 300;
sortList.changeSort('Title');
pageList.gotopage(3) // <---- Set page nr here ----
a=document.getElementsByClassName('headerTitle');
var prevtxt = '';
var toremove = new Array();
for(var i = 0; i<a.length; i++)
{
if(prevtxt == a[i].textContent)
toremove.push(i);
prevtxt = a[i].textContent;
}
a=document.getElementsByClassName('rowBodyCollapsed');
for(i in toremove)
Fion.deleteItem('deleteItem_'+a[toremove[i]].getAttribute('asin'));

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 9:24:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 14, 2012 9:25:32 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 9:26:32 AM PDT
kenmaryj says:
Dragi, thank you so much for sharing this bookmarklet. It is saving me a lot of time. And Gary, thank you for asking the question, which I found from a google search.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 9:27:21 AM PDT
kenmaryj says:
Gary, thank you for the FYI, which helped me understand where to put the script and how to use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 7:29:50 AM PDT
Somebody has developed a Greasemonkey script that allows you to select and delete personal documents much more easily and quickly.

Greasemonkey is an add-on to the Firefox browser, so in order to use the script you have to use the Firefox browser, then install the Greasemonkey add-on, and then you have to add the script named "Remove all personal documents". These steps aren't hard to do, but the obvious requirement is that you use Firefox and not Internet Explorer or Google Chrome to do your browsing.

Greasemonkey: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

The script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/130289

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 2:48:11 AM PDT
Hi guys, you can use this bookmarklet: http://pepa.info/check-and-delete/
It adds a checkbox in front of each document's title and a button for deleting marked documents. It's easy to install - you just drag a link to your bookmark panel. No need to copy/paste anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 4:01:44 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 5:07:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 5:13:51 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Hey, vjvl51, we repeat our answers on multiple threads, don't we?

Do you find something objectionable about the bookmarklet in question? It looks legit to me....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 5:27:21 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
IMO, it would have been preferable for M. Pavel to have created a new thread rather than posting the identical thing 6-7 times thereby bumping legitimate "new" postings down the thread.

I suspect this doesn't violate the "self-promotion" rule but it was kinda annoying to think I would be reading 6-7 different posts only to see the same thing over and over.

JMO

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 5:31:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 5:35:00 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Well, that would work for me, but, given how rarely our help seekers search the board or even scan thread titles, posting the answer wherever the question was asked (within reason) might may actually be more helpful.

Again, when people ask 50 times how to delete a book, we answer to every instance of the question, right?

Edit: I would also like to stress that "This post is not helpful" does not mean "I don't agree".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 5:35:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 5:36:08 AM PDT
If the same person is asking the same question, we often refer them to the post where their question was asked.

FYI - from http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help
What shouldn't I post?
Repeated posts that make the same point excessively
Any form of "spam," including advertisements, contests, or other solicitations for other websites or companies; or any URL link that includes a "referrer" tag or affiliate code.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 5:48:02 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Ummm, OK, you do have a point, a small one (about making the same post excessively). :o)

Posting this link once and then referring the people to that post from other threads would result in the same number of related threads on the first page, wouldn't it? As does chasing his posts to castigate him, for that matter.

PePa got a bit carried away, posting on some threads that could be considered zombies, but I still think that usefulness of his posts outweighs annoyance...

But, since we seem unlikely to agree about severity of PePa's transgressions, let's drop it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 6:05:43 AM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
guaranteed 2 day deliver 7 11 seconds ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9404 20 seconds ago
Lending library 6 2 minutes ago
Problem with power cords/charging - Kindle Fire 31 9 minutes ago
kindle questions 418 10 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2633 11 minutes ago
3M Cloud Library and Kindle Paperwhite 215 13 minutes ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 174 13 minutes ago
Resetting kindle fire to factory defaults 27 15 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4155 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions