Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Fire HD users.. Please be aware!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 135 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 6:28:18 PM PST
I have been a devoted Kindle user from the very moment they were made available. I have 4 of the kindle basic e-readers, 3 of the original Fires, I just purchased 2 of the 7 inch HD Fires (for Christmas gifts for the kids) and bought myself one of the 8.9 inch HD Fires for myself. I am SO dissapointed because over the course of time, I have spent quite a bit of money for apps and have always loved the ability to play *and* read on the Fires. The very first thing I did when I unboxed my new one, was to go to my cloud account and anticipated downloading the apps that I have grown to love on my original Fire. Low and Behld.. less than 30 percent of the apps I have available to me (from my cloud account) on my original Fire are available to me on my new HD Fire! The ones I use the MOST not only do not show up.. they just plain are not available becuase they won't function on the new Fire! What a huge dissapointment. I poured and poured over the information from Amazon, and there is no where that they take the time to warn people that the apps they have gotten for their Fires are not going to be available to them on the Fire HD. Of course, customer service says it isnt their fault the apps don't work, and I agree.. but it *is* their responsibility to at least warn people that the apps offered in the Amazon App store (most of the time) will not work on the HD Fire. Very dissapointing, because the picture, resolution, size, etc are wonderful.. but I would have appreciated knowing my apps were not going to work (and that there are no alternatives to even purchase) Boo Amazon!

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:31:33 PM PST
It's not Amazon's fault. The developers have to create a version that will work on the Fire HD. Amazon cannot force them to do this. You can look at apps in the Amazon Appstore and find out which ones will work on the HD. Did you do that before you made your purchases?
Additionally, you can also get apps from ANYWHERE and try them on your HD. More info:

http://androidcowboy.com/2012/01/how-to-sideload-apps-on-kindle-fire/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:33:29 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
That is because the newer Fires use an updated version of Android. The app makers have to update their apps to be compatible. If Amazon would have stuck with the outdated version of Android then you would be booing them for that. It will come in time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:33:33 PM PST
Kessa says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:35:35 PM PST
Kessa says:
If Amazon would have stuck with the outdated version of Android then you would be booing them for that.
You are so right about that!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:04:13 PM PST
Laura
I never said that the lack of apps for the HD was Amazons fault.. I clearly stated that what I thought *was* Amazons responsibility is to tell prospective purchasers thast the apps they had purchased in faith for their First Gen Fires will no longer be usable on the new ones.. *that* is the point I was making. When someone purchases the newest model of any other tablet, the apps they prviously purchased are not restricted.. there would have been no reason for me to doubt that the amazon apps.. the ones Amazon recommended for my Fire.. would not work on my new one, and the literature they put out does NOT even hint at the fact.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:07:15 PM PST
I actually love my old Fire and would have been elated if they had kept to that and will continue to use it with a lot of pleasure. With the availability of like priced tablets, it easy to return this usless piece of crap and get something that apps will actually work on

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:08:56 PM PST
3 posts to ignore. Not the record, but very close.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:16:37 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:17:16 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:20:24 PM PST
When the Fire was first released, there were long list of complaints about the apps that were not available. Now it's a new Fire and the same complaints. When the 15th edition of the Fire is released, the complaints will still be the same.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:27:22 PM PST
Rivergirl says:
This is my first kindle fire. I love it! I hesitated to get it because of all the negative comments.....but so glad I just did it. The HD screen is fabulous. My only decision was whether to get 7 or the 8.9. glad I got the 7.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:28:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:29:04 PM PST
Melisann says:
I love my new Fire HD (7inch).

I think people just like to complain. If they didn't have anything to complain about, they would be even more unhappy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:37:09 PM PST
Ed G says:
Other tablets that run the same version of Android as the Kindle Fire HD will have the same issue.

The market is there, the app makers will fill the need. The only requirement is a little patience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:52:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:54:46 PM PST
I purchased 2 of the 7 inch ones and one of the 8.9 inch ones.. I am not complaining about the picture (amazing) the weight (incredibly light) or anything except the fact that the Amazon apps.. not apps I purchased from other markets for my fire.. do not work (point one) but mostly because of the fact that Amazon ignored or neglected to let people know that THIER recommended apps would not work, so that the money I have spent in the last year for my original Fires is now down the drain.. it is inexcusable to not tell people "oh, by the way, when you purchase this new Fire, please be aware that the apps you have peviously purchased from us are going to be usless,." If they had the courage to be honest in the first place, it would lead me to make an informed decision as to whether or not i wanted to waist the time making the purchase in the first place.. before that researching the atributes of the new Fire.. happily anticipating the delivery.. opening the box, setting them up.. and then "BAM" the realization sets in that my apps don't work! Just a very poor way to do buisiness. As I stated.. I am not a virgin Kindle consumer.. but this new one is WAY beyond anything I ever experienced with their devices.. I have always been a strong supporter of them and their devices.. this blind faith by their reps ( Laura and Meya and M Francis) here is just them closing their eyes to the problems.. so very sad in a market that offers such a variety of devices to chose from.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:57:16 PM PST
PGM says:
You have a point. I dont have alot of APPS but it is probably not a question I would think to ask before purchasing. I hope it works out for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:57:59 PM PST
For your information, Laura, Meya and I are neither blind nor reps. Our eyes are not closed. Given the number of hours we and the other Kindle Pros have spent on this and the Kindle Help fora, we've seen just about every problem Kindles can have. We've also been able to solve a lot of them. What we can't do is change unrealistic expectations by other customers. Show me any example of advertising that goes into what a product can't do, and I'll show you an advertising agency that got fired for creating it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:59:31 PM PST
Ed G says:
>> the money I have spent in the last year for my original Fires is now down the drain

Why would you say that? 1) You did use them with the original fire, and 2) most of those apps will get a likely free update if you have a bit of patience.

Programming is hard, dealing with new operating systems takes time.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:03:58 PM PST
Deanna, the same thing happens each time Apple lauches a new iOS version or device; the app developers will catch up quickly and, once updated, the apps will again be available for your new device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:05:44 PM PST
New Girl says:
What you do not seem to be willing to accept is that this is not Amazon's responsibility. The original Fire used a different operating system than the HD's do. You seem to think that just because they share the name "FIRE" they will all be the same. When you purchased the apps in question they worked as advertised.

I have some old Win 98 games that I bought in 1998 that don't work on my Windows 7 computer. Dell should have told me that when I upgraded to their new computer all my old games wouldn't work.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:08:42 PM PST
Bella Tinks says:
A bit of reassurance is that apps are being updated to enable the fire hd. When my sons hd was purchased in september the optimum app was not supported on the device, I did however email the company and was told they are working on it.

Sure enough I checked back every so often and the app was successfully downloaded and installed on the fire hd this last weekend.

I think patience and maybe an email to the app developer to let them know there is a market out there wanting to use their app might be helpful.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:52:00 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Its obvious that Dell and Amazon are part of a great conspiracy.

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:36:40 PM PST
D.L.C says:
Just them two? You are overly generous.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:14:44 PM PST
LOL.. u dont even recognize your bias, thats really too bad. i have spent countless hours on here helping and encouraging Kindle and Fire owners.. I just recognise a fault when it exists. I am not blindly faithful to Amazon just cause they gave me a little badge that is supposed to mean you know more than everyone else, LOL..it really is sad

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:18:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 10:19:06 PM PST
New Girl.. reread the original post.. I never said it was their responsibility to make the apps that worked on the old Fires work on the new ones.. I said it was their responsibility to inform their prospective loyal customers that the money they spent on their apps.. Amazons apps.. was wasted and would not work on the new Fire, thats all. These blind little Amazon robots with the badges are the ones who keep saying I said something I never said, and you guys who are responding like I *did* say it are buying into their slanted posts

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:28:27 PM PST
@ PGM
I actually would never have made the original post if the customer service rep I spoke to hadnt been so extremely rude when I called about one app I had spent 15 dollars for, asking why it wasnt available on the new device.. he said and I quote "its not our fault you were dumb enough to buy it without seeing if the app was going to work" I would have had a much different reaction if he hadnt been such an unbelievable jerk. Amazon released it not caring how it was going to impact their past customers because there is always another one around the corner.. to me, that is wrong.. people have a right to expect a certain level of respect from Amazon. They get away with not caring and these little hitlers who cruise the discussion board and do nothing but defend them are a perfect example of blind loyalty with no regard for the consumer ( Amazon must make them fill out some loyalty oath before granting them that badge, LOL)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  135
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions