Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Fire HD 8.9 - ? ES File Explorer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 12:50:31 PM PST
Bill Hansen says:
I downloaded ES File Explorer 8.5.1 (cupcake) from the Google Play Store. I got a notification that ES File Explorer but I it doesn't show up when I press Apps. Where should I look for it? It's the version which supposedly works with Flash, but I'm not sure it's the same version which is labelled "for Kindle HD" in the Play Store.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:20:48 PM PST
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:49:35 PM PST
~nospin says:
You need to download from the Amazon appstore
ES File Explorer

To install Flash and a Flash Enabled Browser: To install Flash: (You have to have a Flash compatible browser in order to install Flash. You can't install it under Silk.)

Do the following on the Fire HD itself: Under settings on the Fire, enable installation of Applications from unknown sources.

Install ES File Explorer: ES File Explorer

Install Dolphin. The most current version of Dolphin won't work. You need the 8.5.1 version. You get Dolphin here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php? t=1787595 The file downloads. You'll get a Notification that it did.

Launch ES File Explorer, and look in the Downloads folder. You'll see the Dolphin icon...tap it to install.

You get Flash here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1771463

Follow the same steps you used when installing Dolphin HD to install Flash.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:34:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:41:51 PM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Fud - You asked "did you even check to see if the app is for the Kindle Fire?" - on the assumption I on that I'm a bit mindless, I guess.

I wasn't able to find a version specifically for the8.9, so I downloaded the vversion recommended in Shelby Johnson's book for the Fire H D. The ES File Explorer web site noted that version was the one to get if you wanted Flash available - so I assumed it w a s the correct one.

If I've downloaded the wrong version and need to remove it, first I need to know where to find it, which a s the question I asked in my OP.

NOSPIN - I wanted File Explorer so I could get Dolphin, and having both of them,so I could get Flash. So at least there, I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks for the links to Dolphin and Flash.

Back to my original question - Explorer doesn't show up in my Apps. Where should be looking for it?

Thanks - Bill

the version which was recommended in Shelby Johnson's
book for the Fire High Def (darn autocorrect feature won't let n
me type the real world name _ have to figure out how to turn it off)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:53:27 PM PST
Hiline says:
Here are the Adobe Flash installation instructions:

To install Flash: (You have to have a Flash compatible browser in order to install Flash. You can't install it under Silk.)

Do the following on the Fire/Fire HD itself:

Swipe down from the top > More > Device > Allow Installation of Applications.

Install ES File Explorer: ES File Explorer

Download and install the Dolphin HD and Flash Player apk files from this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d8gxh75f0747f1/83fV5m6x2c

Once both files are downloaded to your Fire, open ES File Explorer and look in the "Downloads" folder. You should see both files there. Install Dolphin HD *first* by tapping on the icon. Then install Flash.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:23:48 AM PST
~nospin says:
Bill
You missed the link for ES File Explorer I put in my post. The apps show only if you get them through the Amazon appstore. The version I linked to is compatible with the 8.9

Using that program is the only way I know to locate downloaded files.

Ignore Fud

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:58:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 6:00:57 AM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Nospin - Thanks for redirecting me to the correct place to download ES File Explorer (ESFE). I've got it working on the KFHD now. Opening the Downloads "folder" of ESFE, I see three different downloads of Dolphin right there. I don't see anything about having downloaded ESFE itself, but maybe ESFE doesn't display its own download files. I'm not worried about that. I'm very tempted to try to install Dolphin from one of those apk files which are already in ESFE - but "once burned, twice shy" so I'm asking now - is it okay to install from one of those apk files?

HiLine - Once I installed ES File Explorer from the Amazon store, I see there are *three different copies* of an apk for "Dolphin Browser HD v 8.5.1" which were apparently downloaded into the 8.9 along with ESFE. Is there any reason I can't press on one of those apk's and install Dolphin that way? (I know this porbably seems like a silly question, but having downloaded something from the wrong site once, I want to be sure I do it correctly this time).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:08:19 AM PST
Hiline says:
Not really knowing which ones you have, it's hard to say.
I would just delete each one (long press and choose delete). Then download the one from the drop box link. Then you should be ready to go.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:18:47 AM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Thanks HiLine. I think I've got it done correctly. Dolphin browser seems to work very well, accessing a few sites I commonly use. I went to your Dropbox link and downloaded Flash, installed it, and as expected both Flash and Dolphin now appear in my Apps. I've made Dolphin a Favorite, but have left Flash just in the Apps "folder" (what do you call these places in Kindles anyway? Is "folder" considered correct?)

I'm not going to play around with Flash for now. It's time to give my dogs a "lesson" and have a third cup of coffee with my long-suffering wife. Thanks very much for your help and guidance!

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:03:19 AM PST
Hiline says:
No problem and you're more than welcome. Just one Bill helping another Bill :) Nospin deserves most of the credit. Yep, folders is what they are to me. I never had to mess with flash after I got it installed. I just let it do it's thing in the background.

Bill
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Kindle Fire Portion of Screen Stays White 1 4 seconds ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 6138 2 minutes ago
what is difference between prime and kindle unlimited? 131 4 minutes ago
Re: Free book with Prime membership. 4 5 minutes ago
Kindle use on Ipad Mini 240 6 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 5763 9 minutes ago
Deferred payment question - I feel a bit cheated; should I? 51 18 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 3351 21 minutes ago
frustrating language barriers w/support personnel 132 22 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions