Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

The February 2013 Informal Poll - What are...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 459 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 1, 2013 9:35:33 AM PST
Patsy says:
I've taken the liberty of copying Charlene's "copy" of Michael's usual post:

"Here's how this works - list a book you are currently reading or just recently read on your Kindle (insert the product link using the little button above the text box in the discussion forum so others can find it), whether you would recommend it, did you get it free, and anything else you would care to share.

And here's my standard continuation of each month's request for prior participants in the poll: if you like or dislike a title you have read, in addition to telling us about it in this informal poll, how about writing a book review on the Amazon website? The review will certainly last and be visible a lot longer than this poll will. If you're like me, you look at the customer reviews in order to see if you want to investigate a book further. Since we are all a little community here, and while I realize each review is each person's opinion and we may not like the same thing, I know your friends and online discussion neighbors would appreciate your honest assessment of the likes and dislikes without providing a spoiler - I know I would! Your reviews don't need to be a long dissertation of the book, I like to keep them short, sweet, and (hopefully) to the point.

Anyway, that's all for now. Have a great February!"

And thanks to Michael for starting this thread almost every month and for Charlene who started November and for all the posters who take the time to share what they are reading. I know I have found many an enjoyable book from this thread.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 9:46:27 AM PST
Patsy says:
Wow! February already....
This morning my library notified me that The Inn at Lake Devine was available for me to borrow so I will be starting that tonight.
While I was waiting for my library book, I started reading Dear Cary: My Life with Cary Grant, I'm about 34% into it. Hopefully the second half is better than the first - it's an okay read, but so far it's "me, me, me", would like less backstory on Dyan Cannan and more about her life with Cary Grant. Sometimes I find the writing style a bit annoying, but can't really put my finger on why. Will definitely set this book aside and start The Inn at Lake Devine.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 9:55:04 AM PST
Catherine says:
Wow, February!
I will finish up Joann Bassett's The Islands of Aloha Mystery Series today. I have enjoyed the three books in the series. They are set in Maui and are a fun read.
For my Book Club, I need to read American Assassin by Vince Flynn. I'm not a fan of espionage so it had better be good or I won't finish it! I will pick up the library loan today.
I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is reading this month. I have a huge TBR list, I don't know where to go next.
Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 10:07:10 AM PST
Denise says:
Well, let's see. I'm still finishing up The Panther (John Corey), and on audio I just started The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo. I surely wish they'd release that one for kindle (and particularly if it were WhisperSync enabled!)

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 10:13:55 AM PST
Willow3§3 says:
New thread smell!

I'm still reading The Odd Thomas Series 4-Book Bundle: Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, Brother Odd, Odd Hours (Only reading the first one, but for some reason the Kindle link is eluding my search attempts. Interesting so far.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 11:18:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2013 11:22:06 AM PST
Coach D says:
I am reading (60%) what I THOUGHT would be a good exciting Special Forces thriller: Echo Six: Black Ops by Eric Meyer, but it is really a below average (almost terrible) book. I would have quit reading it but I blew $3.99 (Gift Card) on it and feel I should finish it up so I can give an honest review. Right now I am looking at a 2-Star review, but if the action keeps up I might go to 3, but the characters are weak and whiney....Not what I expect to see in my Special Forces Operators. I want to read about operators like in Zero Dark Thirty (Blu-ray/DVD Combo + UltraViolet Digital Copy) or Act of Valor.

Oh Jack Silkstone, when is the latest PRIMAL (PRIMAL Unleashed) book (PRIMAL Fury) coming out?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 11:22:09 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Oh no! Did you find too much puppy-eye action in this one too?

LOL!

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 11:30:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2013 11:30:30 AM PST
Coach D says:
Dog Lover: Believe it or not, yes!

The Team Leader of Echo Six is weak, ineffective, and very indecisive. However, he is a hound-dog and manages to find time for hot sex with a female pilot in-between battles in Somalia. All the time he is rebounding from an impending divorce. What ever happened to good ole combat stories? Now I am getting The Young and the Restless in a combat zone! Aggggggh!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 11:49:42 AM PST
Thanks for starting us off, Patsy!

I'm still reading The Mysteries of Udolpho, which is widely considered to be the first gothic novel.
Like you, David Dalton, I'm not big on the romance aspect of it, but at 35% or so, the castle at Udolpho has finally been reached, so hopefully the gothic aspects will soon kick in. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 1:03:46 PM PST
How do you like The Panther?

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 1:19:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2013 1:20:13 PM PST
I am 43% into Zeke and Ned by author Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana....humor injected into the post Civil War Indian Territory ( present day Oklohoma ) Enjoyable read if you are into the Western genre. Of course the best Western in my opinion without a doubt is Lonesome Dove........

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 1:25:31 PM PST
Laurie says:
I'm currently reading The Banshee's Walk (The Markhat Files). Excellent book by one of my favorite authors. And in dtb form I'm reading A Memory of Light. I couldn't wait for months for the e-book to come out. So far it's really very good.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 1:47:53 PM PST
Susan Solin says:
Since I wanted something humorous and uplifiting I re-read 3 Laurie Notaro books The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life, The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death: Reflections on Revenge, Germophobia, and Laser Hair Removal and I Love Everybody (and Other Atrocious Lies): True Tales of a Loudmouth Girl and really enjoyed them. Since these are kind of pricey I thought I'd borrow more from my library but I live in podunk nowheresville and they don't have any Notaro hard copy books, don't even get me started on their ebook policy. I did borrow Notorious Nineteen which was horrible. I keep saying I'm not going to read any more of the Stephanie Plum books and I did quit paying for them around number 11 but I think after this stinker I'm not even going to borrow them anymore. Then I read a novelette I got free Perfect Little Town by Blake Crouch which was a very good, short horror story. Now I'm about 1/2 way through Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay. He is a great thriller writer! If you like Harlan Coben you'll like Barclay.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 3:16:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2013 3:18:37 PM PST
PatriotUSA says:
Rules of Civility
This is one of the best novels that I have read in a long time. The author is Amor Towles.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 3:35:21 PM PST
The Artist says:
I'm about halfway through The Beggar King: A Hangman's Daughter Tale. I enjoyed the first two in the series and am enjoying this one as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 4:54:24 PM PST
Denise says:
I was disappointed. I've read other John Corey books by DeMille and I don't remember being quite so annoyed with the character as I am this time. As I have lots of other good books waiting, I finally decided to stop making myself slog through it after getting 40% into it. I like wisecracking characters, but this guy is over the top and it got old.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 12:29:55 AM PST
J says:
I am about a third of the way through Aloha from Hell, the third Sandman Slim adventure. Sandman Slim is so over the top that I just can't help but love him. Too much killing, too many horrible creatures and situations, blasphemous-truly a guilty pleasure.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 5:59:53 AM PST
AnnaMcD says:
I finally read Watching Jeopardy and really liked it. I had trouble starting a new book and finally settled on The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I think it was a young adult fantasy KDD earlier this week. I'm 50% in and it is okay. If you like young adult fantasy I highly recommend the Muirwood series. The Wretched of Muirwood: Legends of Muirwood, Book 1

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 9:49:58 AM PST
Montana Mo says:
So many people recommended Lonesome Dove, so when I saw it for .25 cents at the local book sale I bought it. I live in Montana, so I'm hoping I will like it.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 10:00:34 AM PST
deb217 says:
Started The Wretched of Muirwood: Legends of Muirwood, Book 1. I seldom read/listen to young adult fantasy but this one sounded interesting. I'm only about 20% into the book and I like it. Usually a YA fantasy book has lost me by this point because I just don't understand them. I picked up the book as well as the audio. I would rate the audio a 3.5/5. There is no doubt that I'll be finished with this one today. Then I will start Fly by Night. The reviews were deceit and it was on sale so I thought I would give it a try (never read anything from this author).

Also, finished Blood Work and Angels Flight. I liked Angels Flight better than Blood Work. The movie, "Blood Work" with Clint Eastwood was mentioned in the book "Angels Flight". I won't spoil it but it was cute the way the movie was mentioned. It made me smile at least.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 10:59:52 AM PST
Enjoy The Inn at Lake Devine, Elinor Lipman is one of my favorite authors.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 11:42:43 AM PST
Beverly says:
I've been wanting to read Rules of Civility for a long time. I guess I've been waiting for the price to come down. I'm reading Elizabeth Street, which I've had on my Kindle for a very long time. It's good, but not that good. The Paris Wife, Cutting for Stone, and The Tiger's Wife are more my style. I like to get really involved in a book.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 12:03:22 PM PST
lonbeehold says:
Beverly, I loved those three books. Still kicking myself for passing on Rules of Civility when it was a KDD. I finally finished Joseph Anton. I am going to add a novel or two of his to my DBR list. I am currently making my way thru A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) and also reading The Oath: The Obama White House and The Supreme Court.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 1:57:50 PM PST
I am in the middle Candide right now, and have just started Death of an Old Git (The Falconer Files - File 1) for a change of pace.

In the last couple of days I've read:

The Vampire Viscount, a nice older regency paranormal from 1995 that the author has made available for the Kindle.

First Visions: Second Sight Book One. Meh. Not badly written, just plain old boring.

The Host. Figured that since the movie is coming out soon I should read it. Not too bad!

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 3:25:36 PM PST
Karin says:
Been reading Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy for what seems like a very long time. The first book I've read that I keep a dictionary beside me to get through. A very fascinating and important story but I REALLY need to look for lighter fare for my next read!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
77 52 seconds ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
FB&C--Free Books and Chat-- Friday July 11, 2014 9 4 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD = Junk 9 5 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #3 9270 8 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 1562 14 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9155 15 minutes ago
How 1 29 minutes ago
How do you delete multiple emails? 6 43 minutes ago
FB&C--Free Books and Chat--Thursday July 10, 2014 68 43 minutes ago
How do I seperated my grandson kindle fire apps from my kindle fire? 1 57 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  113
Total posts:  459
Initial post:  Feb 1, 2013
Latest post:  May 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions