Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How long does your kindle take to charge?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 217 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2011 1:28:37 PM PDT
C. Avery says:
Just curious about the average time to charge a kindle. The first few times ranged between 3 hours and 3.5 hours.

My device now takes just over 4 hours to fully charge. This doesnt seem to change whether I leave it or read while it charges. How long does your device take?

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 1:50:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2011 2:03:24 PM PDT
It really depends on how drained the battery is at the time you start to charge; so if I say it takes my Kindle two hours to charge, maybe mine wasn't as drained as your Kindle was.

Also, I almost always charge it from the wall, and not via USB from my PC. I don't know if that matters, but sometimes I have more than a few things attached to my USB ports and I don't know if that reduces the power available, or not.

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 4:07:49 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
Less than 8 hours is all I can say - I plug it in at night when it needs charging, and it's always done by the time I get up in the morning. I try to charge it when it is between 1/2 and 3/4 discharged.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 7:30:39 AM PDT
I find that if I plug it into an outlet, it charges much faster than when it's charging via usb from my computer. My initial charge took less than two hours, plugged into an outlet, and I was even using it at the time and the wireless was on.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 10:09:26 AM PDT
Frenat says:
I've read the wall charger provides about .85 amps for charging while a USB plug provides .5 amps. Both will charge it but the wall outlet will of course charge faster. Additionally any charger with a micro-USB plug SHOULD charge the Kindle but you should make sure it provides enough power and not too much. I've got a cell phone charger that only provides .35 amps and it would not charge the Kindle. I've read on another forum that you shouldn't go above 1.7 amps.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 8:40:27 PM PDT
I use my kindle so much through the day and night that I was always needing to charge it. I moved my charger in by my bed so that when I am reading at night with the light on I can charge it. This works good for me because I am a game player and a light user and those both take up alot of battery life. I also love to read most nights I read 3 to 5 hours and after using the kindle most of the day and evening (as much as I can) I never had enough battery.... I am lucky to get a full 24 hours of battery life. but I use it more than most people.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 6:27:11 PM PST
I seem to have a charging issue with my Kindle. I plug it into a wall outlet and it still wasn't charged after 8 hours! Same with the computer, still seems to take forever. During charging time I turn it off and wifi is off also.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 6:31:33 PM PST
I charge my K3 when the battery is about half-way down. The liddle green light comes on about an hour later. Charging via the USB cord takes much longer.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 8:13:29 PM PST
Usually, once a week I plug my Kindle in when I go to bed. When I get up to go to the bathroom--hey, I'm old--if the light's green I unplug it. I have no iead how long it's taking. I have not once run out of power during the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 2:00:57 AM PST
Denis Powell says:
Rositta, it's not unknown for the Kindle to display an inaccurate battery level reading but a restart usually solves the problem. Have you tried that?

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 3:28:08 AM PST
Rositta, it could also be that your charger cord or plug connection is the problem, I swapped cords and my charging time went down a lot, I have also seen that having the cord even slightly slanted in the charging port affects it so that the light never goes from amber to green.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 3:51:50 AM PST
Arieswoman says:
My replacement K3 came without the wall plug adapter. Just got the usb cord. Guess I am glad I did not have to return the other cord!

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 6:31:51 AM PST
Thank you, yes I have tried the restart and it didn't work. Spoke with a techie at Amazon who suggested it could be the wall charger. Will look into getting it replaced.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 8:33:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2011 8:33:53 AM PST
Chaka John says:
Looks like my Kindle is toast folks. I plugged that baby in the wall outlet last night at 8PM and now it's almost Noon and it still has a yellow light. I got this 4.5 months ago just before the Kindle Fire's were announced. I am P.O.'d - looks like I'm going to have to send this back.

Chaka John

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 8:43:28 AM PST
**Meya** says:
Chaka...your Kindle is under warranty. Contact Kindle CS and they will take care of you.

Just wondering...which Kindle? If the Kindle Keyboard/K3, do you have it in a cover that attaches via the clips/hinge system?

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 12:10:45 PM PST
Blah says:
Absolutely ridiculous. My battery drained completely and its been charging now for over 2 hours and its less than 1/4 charged (wall charger, not USB.) ANY other micro USB device I have charges within 2 hours completely from a drained battery. I would not have purchased this if I knew this is how it would be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 12:36:10 PM PST
Denis Powell says:
Michael, as you don't say which model Kindle you have it's difficult to comment as the charging times vary. Charging times for any battery will vary according to total capacity and a small battery will charge quicker than a larger one. Another factor in the time taken to charge a Kindle is whether or not your Kindle is indexing books. If, for instance, you've just added a significant number of books to your Kindle it will take longer to charge than if you hadn't.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 12:45:23 PM PST
Frenat says:
Plus, the wall charger only provides 0.85 amps (for the e-ink kindles, the charger for the fire provides more). Using a different charger that provides more amps would decrease the charging time. Though I've heard you don't want to go over 1.6 amps for the Kindle Keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 12:47:22 PM PST
Blah says:
My bad. I thought this was a Kindle Fire thread. I might be using a lower voltage charger. Its not the one that came with it. OK, I will try the one that came with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 5:44:13 PM PST
U. Castro says:
thats what happen to my kindle did you return it or is it working now

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 9:25:15 PM PST
D. Rodriguez says:
When you plug in your kindle to charge does the screen come on and show kindle? If not, your charger may be faulty or not completely connected. If this is not the case, you need to do a restart on your kindle which I have found fixes most of my problems. Press and hold the power button for a full 20 seconds even if it goes off. Wait a few seconds then turn back on. This should fix any problems you are having.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 10:34:35 AM PST
cave76 says:
I'm joining this thread because my Kindle 3 is taking longer to recharge than it used to, even the first charge. (Guessing at how old it is---- maybe 6 months, tops. I read every day but not for hours at a time.)

Last night, I got a message on my K. that my battery power was low, so I'm trying to charge it now.

For even more confusion, there were times when I have disconnected while yellow light still on. Then upon re-connection the green light comes on in just a few minutes, after the yellow light shows at first.

I always charge from the wall outlet.
I don't have a lot of books to index. Maybe 22-23, since I read novels and just delete them when I'm through.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 4:57:21 PM PST
If your Kindle is in a case remove it before charging. Same advice as for iPads and iPods.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 5:16:28 PM PST
cave76 says:
Hi--- thanks for answering. My Kindle isn't kept in a case but to add a bit more information to this thread----- my K. finally showed its green light. I can't say exactly how long it took (I was away from home) but a good guess was at least 4-5 hours. Maybe even more.

Seems like a long time, but it did get there.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 4:34:40 AM PST
My new kindle 3g /wirlesss keyboard only had for month. First intial charge took only 2 hours. Then last nite a message pop up while I was reading that my battery was low. I then plug it to the wall. It took about 8 hours. Woke up this morning I notice the light was still yellow. I was concern so I started to research online to see what normal times are. Then I walk back to the room where my kindle was charging. And finally the light was green. 8 hours is that too long ?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 20 hours ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
My Dark Knight Saga has Sandman pages 1 3 minutes ago
Slow Operation Kindle Fire 3 4 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 977 5 minutes ago
Power Adaptor 3 8 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4694 8 minutes ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 6479 10 minutes ago
My Kindle won't charge 685 10 minutes ago
Book bought in iTunes Store can I send it to my kindle h d fire please ? 9 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  127
Total posts:  217
Initial post:  Sep 2, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 34 customers

Search Customer Discussions