Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD for me / Giving Kindle Fire 1st Gen to daughter (account question/ don't want same aps)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 2:27:49 AM PST
Eve Lester says:
I am getting the new Fire HD 32 gig (shipping now! :-)) and plan on letting my daughter play with my old 1st gen kindle. She is only 4 so she will not be using it for much other than flashcards, movies, drawing, other kid stuff- she already has a ton of aps on there I let her play when on trips.

Anyway, because it is a first generation kindle I am not able to get the kids 'freetime' application (googled and checked here to be sure) so I am wondering how to best set it up for her so she isn't having to sift through all my books, movies, and aps anytime she wants to play (and so my kindle isn't littered with preschool aps anymore) because I assume that once I set up the second kindle all aps /books will show on both kindles.

Also don't want her making any one-click purchases (she has come close before by getting into the app store) not on purpose but at 4 she doesn't really know! :)

Do you think I should maybe open a separate amazon account to use for her kindle only? So she couldn't get to one-click once I turn it off and I could get her her own student prime account (she is in preschool lol) so she could get a kid book every month.

Is that allowed? Two amazon accounts for one house (person really since I can't really put it in her name- or can I?)

Thanks for any advice- even if you have a favorite preschool app for her!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:33:15 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
we're a two account household, so that would work

I believe the parental controls on the original kindle can be set to prevent purchases both from the kindle store and in app - you might check this out:

To enable Parental Controls on your Kindle Fire, tap the Quick Settings icon, then More, then Parental Controls, then switch Enable Parental Controls to the ON position. Follow the onscreen instructions to set a Parental Controls password. You'll then see the options to enable various Parental Control settings.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:56:32 AM PST
Eve Lester says:
Thanks so much! I will set an account up for her then- and activate the parental controls, I appreciate the help!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions