Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle for iOS Update version 3.6

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 150 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 14, 2013 9:13:49 AM PST
Kindle for iOS 3.6 is now available in the Apple App Store. New features include:

* Multicolor Highlights - Four color choices make it easier to distinguish important passages.
* Book End Actions - Just finish your book? Share the accomplishment with friends on Facebook and Twitter. Rate and write your own review.
* Brightness Control - the brightness setting will now be saved across device sleeps.

If you have questions about this update please ask visit the Kindle Help Forum: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_gd

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 9:24:59 AM PST
Ed says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 10:35:35 AM PST
King Al says:
It is now.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 11:12:40 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 14, 2013 2:03:54 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 1:58:23 PM PST
Rhc Meij says:
Where do I find Book End Actions?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 3:03:17 PM PST
S. Prewitt says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 3:15:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2013 3:16:19 PM PST
Sad when my Apple iphone has a better Kindle application than my KF1. Even sadder to say that an Apple Mini will probably be my eventual upgrade path from my KF1.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 3:24:34 PM PST
King Al says:
When you reach the end of the book, you will be asked to rate the book and share with FB/Twitter.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 4:00:45 PM PST
Ed says:
Ahhhh... the Kindle App brightness is now separate from the system brightness. Thank you Amazon! And the highlight color options ain't bad either.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 4:01:20 PM PST
Dorsie says:
The brightness seems to work perfectly now, both with and without retina displays. This is not an easy thing to do with IOS 6, and I am so proud of the Kindle for IOS team. They have now given us the very best e-book reading program by any company on any device. Just beautiful.

Amazon needs to get this group to go show the other development teams "This is the right way to do it."

To Stujoe: What a coincidence that I bought an iPad Mini for books on the go on Monday and got its matte anti-glare screen cover installed today. :-D

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 4:40:11 PM PST
Ed says:
Thanks a lot Dorsie! Was severely tempted by the iPad mini awhile back but got over it. My iPad 2 keeps me happy. Now, considering the updated Kindle app... Sheesh.

Na, not tempted anymore - unless one considers - but - then again - on the other hand (never really understood that expression). OK, agreed, the mini is probably the best smaller tablet out there. But I is gonna stick with bigger is better and use one of our Kindles for reading on the go. (OK, I'm done now.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 5:44:17 PM PST
Dorsie says:
Ed,

I just bought an iPad 4 in January. I don't need an iPad Mini, but I wanted it, and I have precious few things I can enjoy with my back disabilities. I also wanted an iPad without retina display for reading because the less razor sharp type agrees with my aging eyes better for long term reading. Plus, I got a really good trade-in price for my iPad 1 and with the economy the way it is I felt obligated to help out.

Naaa, I just wanted it, so there.

You, on the other hand, might want to wait until the iPad Mini with retina display comes out later this year. Well, if it comes out. You never know. They might decide to make something new you don't like as well, or the hedge funds could keep selling the stock crazy. Then you would be so unhappy that you didn't snap it up when...

If you want it and can afford it, get it. :-D

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 8:24:15 PM PST
Ed says:
Dorsie, Dorsie! You may want to consider a side career in on-line sales counseling (whatever that is). However, notwithstanding, 'steadfast' is the watchword here, presently.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 9:18:00 PM PST
Dorsie says:
In that case, enjoy this wonderful version of the Kindle app on your still fabulous iPad 2. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 5:21:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 5:21:50 AM PST
I figure to 'refresh' my wife's and my KF1's after Christmas this year (which will make them 2 years old). We are an iPhone family so the Mini already appeals to us. But I really do like the Fire lineup too for a small tablet. However, I don't want to have to upgrade hardware to get a better reader, etc if Amazon is going to stop updating the previous generation when a new model comes out. And, having an iPhone and a brand new Kindle App on it, it just makes it more irritating. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 6:53:30 AM PST
M. Griswold says:
I am a high school teacher experimenting with a Kindle classroom (mykindleclassroom.blogspot.com) and I would love these same capabilities in the Kindle for PC app. My students use the PC app on their laptops. Are the multi-color highlights and book end actions coming to the Kindle for PC app? Also, I would love to be able to sort, tag and search my notes.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 8:53:58 AM PST
Mary McManus says:
Dorsie, you are an enabler! I have been waffling over an iPad mini, still am, and comments like yours only make my indecision worse. Don't know what to do. I know it is light as a feather.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 10:46:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 10:46:45 AM PST
rwizard says:
Sadly, Amazon seems to think we are all narcissists who demand notice from the world for the most mundane details of our lives. Who the heck feels the need to "twit" the fact that they managed to read a book, or to congratulate themselves on deFacedbook? All of these "features" are simply a way to feed the minute details of our lives into the maw of giant and malevolent data mining operation. I was all set to buy one of the new 4G Kindle Fires until I saw it offered "deep Facebook integration" - ugh. Now I see they are headed that way on the app for my iPad. I want no part of this privacy invading trend. Amazon's own internal data collection is intrusive enough without sharing with other's.

Get a clue Amazon - there are many people who want NOTHING to do with social networking. Why not offer privacy oriented versions of your various reading devices?

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 11:23:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 11:24:01 AM PST
If you don't have a facespace or tweeter account, what does it matter if the device is integrated with one of them? It's not going to create one and start posting your stuff on there. And if you do have one of those accounts, just don't authorize the app on that service. It really isn't rocket surgery.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 11:52:47 AM PST
Dorsie says:
When the Mini first came out, a reviewer on TV said, "When you hold one, you will want it." She was so right. I love my big iPad, too, but most tablets are hard on my old hands. Not the Mini.

It's so nice that the Kindle for IOS team gets it now. Since the awful version released in August last year, they've really listened to what users want and acted on it. I can look forward to new releases, instead of fearing them. I fully expect Kindle for IOS to have collections before the Kindle Fires do.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 12:54:52 PM PST
King Al says:
But many people DO want it. If you don't like a feature, don't use it. Sheesh.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 1:28:42 PM PST
Craig says:
I'm glad that this update has the Dorsie seal of approval - I just hit the update button on my iPad 2. However, I haven't really used my iPad for reading since I got my Paperwhite - nice to know that the iPad app now works as a first class back-up.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 1:53:55 PM PST
Debbie says:
I would love to have collections. Then I will run right out and buy the mini.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 3:25:15 PM PST
Vague Boy says:
Full support for KF8 formatting (enjoyed by every other Kindle app) would have been more useful for those of us trying to develop academic ebooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 3:53:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 4:00:34 PM PST
Dorsie says:
I'm honored. :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and $79 Kindle
0 13 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 6377 1 minute ago
Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started 2 5207 11 minutes ago
Voyage, anyone *not* seeing this display flaw? (image) 268 23 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1188 36 minutes ago
Arabic Support 5 37 minutes ago
Amazon echo is for sale now! 23 38 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 1945 40 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 4113 42 minutes ago
November 2014 Informal Poll--What are you reading now? 660 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  150
Initial post:  Feb 14, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions