Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle HD 4G out of control on data usage from ATT!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 3:01:29 AM PST
AmazonFan says:
I'm stumped on this one...with both the ATT option and my own WiFi on I used over 60 meg watching a streaming video from Prime. No streaming for 2 days and about 3 web sites visited while out of my WiFi range put the usage per my Kindle ATT at 90meg - how can a couple web site visits (no downloads, no videos watched) rack up another 30 meg? My iPhone with ATT doesn't even use 5 meg a month doing more web browsing than that. Could there be hidden programs running that are sucking the ATT data allowance? Does ATT take precedence over WiFi when it is available? I've had this Kindle for less than a week and the 250 won't last me but a couple more days apparently if I do any web surfing. Have turned off the ATT when I am in WiFi range.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Do I need to turn off the ATT option at all times unless I need it and doesn't 30 meg for visiting CNN and WEATHER sites seem absurd?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:17:32 AM PST
each pic on a web site is on average 10meg. the 250 meg you get a month is intended for email no brousing or streaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:40:19 AM PST
KessaJo says:
I used over 60 meg watching a streaming video from Prime.
Streaming video will eat up a lot and quickly. So, I wouldn't be streaming while using AT&T - I'd use my Wi-Fi.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:02:26 AM PST
T. Cook says:
Do you have any Apps running on your Kindle? Ones like Facebook, Twitter, games that are ad supported, etc, that update themselves every X minutes in the background? Any Apps that do continuous updates will use data regardless whether you're actually in them or not, so you won't even notice that you're using data...
So if you're not needing to use the internet for whatever you're doing on the Kindle, turn the wifi/cellular off.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:05:42 AM PST
As streaming or downloading anything over 50 MB is restricted on the 25m MB plan, I guess you streamed over wifi, and used the 4G for 'normal' browsing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:25:02 AM PST
Sarida says:
I'm not familiar with Android OS, but with iOS, once you open an app, it stays running in the background until you close it.

Yes, I'd turn off your cell service until you need it.

Your weather app probably used more since it is also looking for your location. CNN wouldn't unless you told it it was okay to do so. Since you have an iPhone you are familiar as to how that works.

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 9:55:00 AM PDT
does anyone know how to disable the att sevice until u need it? any help would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2013 10:12:57 AM PDT
Carbonbased says:
Sweep down from the top of the page to open the device menu, touch 'wireless'
Touch 'Mobile Network'
Touch 'off' on the first line.

I leave my Mobile (3-4G) off all the time, using only for brief intervals.
You can track your usage under the AT&T AllAccess > but it will only show while you have Mobile turned on.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 10:09:16 AM PDT
Thank you so much for the help!

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 6:27:46 AM PDT
Soulrider says:
This point was made from an old post but someone suggested that every picture on a website averages 10MB in size. That is just ridiculous. Pictures on websites are most certainly NOT 10MB on average or anywhere close to that (talking your average web site...not picture galleries, etc). Most pictures used on web sites are put into formats that try to use as little room as possible and quite often are in JPG format. They might be up to a few hundred KB in size maybe up to a MB or more on occasion but no where near 10MB each on average. I think who ever made that comment doesn't quite understand the difference between KB, MB, GB, TB etc, or has no concept of web design.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1381 5 minutes ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
How to change my name on reviews 181 11 minutes ago
Downloading to a computer to transfer to a Kindle. 4 16 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1547 20 minutes ago
2015 Fire unable to see books on SD after factory reset 28 23 minutes ago
Why don't kindle books start in the Cover? 206 29 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2139 34 minutes ago
SD Card issue with my Amazon Fire 7 Tablet 12 47 minutes ago
How to disable "On Deck"? 8 52 minutes ago
silk browser keeps crashing on fire hd 8.9 364 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions