Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

reading bible on kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2011 8:07:17 AM PDT
I have just bought my new kindle, is it possible to go directly to chapter and verse easily, or do I have to keep flipping pages to get to verse?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 8:12:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2011 5:50:22 PM PDT
Q says:
Hi Sheila,

On Kindle Bibles, here's something I posted earlier that might help you:
Hi Barbara,
I have most of the Bible versions available for the Kindle on my K3. Kindle was made for reading books with chapters, but not a book (Bible) that has many books with chapters and verses. The Kindle in a large setting like a Bible study or during a preach can be cumbersome to navigate quickly enough to locate a verse.

For ease of use, the best is to look for Bible translations for the Kindle that advertise "Direct Jump" or "Direct Verse Jump" technology (the subject line doesn't always list it. Sometimes you must look in the user reviews). Direct Jump gives you a way to search for the chapter & verse and jump directly to it.

The one I like the most for quickly getting to a verse and for excellent Greek & historical manuscript notes is the "NET Bible w/ notes" for $5. To jump to a verse quickly, type the abbreviation for the book, period, then the chapter, period, and then the verse. So John 3:16 becomes jn.3.16 and press the center of the 5-way:
NET Bible First Edition (with notes)

"GOD's Word" (GW) translation ($8) also lets you jump to a verse. On any page, begin to type john 3.16 and while you are typing, you'll see a refined search like in the dictionary. Just select the verse. Pretty fast. But since it searches like a Kindle dictionary, the search bar is always kept open at the bottom of every page. Not so nice. Note that the book abbreviations are NOT the same on "God's Word" translation.
GOD'S WORD Translation (GW) (with direct verse lookup and book and chapter navigation)

And the World English Bible (WEB) ($5) has Direct Jump. It's also a decent translation. It has the words of Christ in *bold*, which is a nice touch. To navigate in it, for example, to go to John 3:16, begin to type jn.3.16 and then press the center of the 5-way and it's the first hit you get.
Bible (WEB) (with Direct Verse Jump)

The WORST is the Message & the NRSV; they both have NO CHAPTERS listed in the ToC. I guess they want you to feel you're reading a real book, so every gospel or letter or book has headings but NO chapter numbers in the ToC (ugh). The NRSV doesn't even give you section headings in the ToC, just the books of the Bible with NO chapters listed. So in "The Message", to go to John 3:16, you'd need to go to "John" via the ToC and then page slowly over to Chapter 3 (Good luck getting to Gen 48, for example!), or else, if you know the topic in that chapter, look for the appropriate heading (which in that case is entitled "Born from Above"). This is a really slow way to navigate. Even the ToC has DOZENS of headings per book, so for example, the Gospel of John has 47 sub-headings in the ToC!! There are chapter numbers in the text (so Chapter 3 has 003 at the start, but nothing in the table of contents).

The NLT Bible is odd in that they forgot they were making this edition for the B&W Kindle, so in the gospels, the words of Jesus are in PALE GRAY (ugh again).

So there are at least seven versions (I only have six of them) that offer a way to directly jump to verses while in a church gathering. Give it a try!

BTW, here are the versions I have, divided into their search abilities. This is *not* an exhaustive list of what is available, only what I have on my Kindle:

DIRECT JUMP Bibles (locates verses)
* NET Bible w/ notes -DIRECT JUMP (very nice Greek notes)
* KJV (w/ or w/o Apocrypha) -DIRECT JUMP
* World English Bible (WEB) - DIRECT JUMP (a decent translation too)
* New Heart English Bible (NHEB) - DIRECT JUMP
* Holy Bible, GOD'S WORD Translation(GW) -DIRECT JUMP sort of. It uses the dictionary mode search bar ever at the bottom. Not as good, IMO.
* KJV New Testament w/ Strong's markup & Dictionary -DIRECT JUMP (also parses the Grk verbs and declines the nouns!)

BIBLES with ToC to Find Book & Chapter (but not verse)
* NKJV (I really like the "Spirit-Filled Life Bible". Excellent notes)
* NIV Study Bible (w/ notes)
* NASB (New American Standard Bible)
* Amplified Bible
* Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) Good translation
* ESV Study Bible
* NLT Bible (good translation and nice to read, except for words of Jesus in gray)
* The Voice: New Testament (written in a more dynamic, paraphrased style. Good for impact. Weak for verse or word analysis.)

BIBLES with ToC for BOOK ONLY. NO CHAPTERS listed in ToC
* NRSV - ToC to book ONLY
* The Message - ToC to book ONLY

GREEK Def NT's
* Interlinear Greek New Testament
* KJV New Testament w/ Strong's markup & Dictionary

BIBLE in a Year
* The One Year Bible NLT

A FEW TIPS:
1) When you want to find a verse, you don't need to open a search box via MENU, instead, just begin to type the reference and it appears instantly at the bottom. I use the hotkeys for the numbers & no symbols except the period/full-stop on the keyboard. Then I press the middle of the 5-way and the verse is usually the first hit in the search results. Then I press the 5-way again. Once you're used to it, you can do that on a direct jump version in a few seconds and be at the verse being referenced in the talk.

2) Here are useful navigation tips for OSNOVA Bible (incl Direct Jump Bibles):
http://osnova.com/2010/12/09/279/

3) The fastest way to type numbers (useful for looking up references) is to use hotkeys for the numbers. Alt+any top row key = a number. So Alt+Q=1, Alt+W=2, Alt+E=3, etc.

4) If you download Easton's Bible Dictionary (Updated) for $4.79:
Easton's Bible Dictionary for Kindle (instant definition lookup while reading any Bible) (Updated)
You can make it your primary dictionary while you read the Bible and its word definitions & historical helps will pop up instead of the normal dictionary. Very useful!

To change your primary dictionary, go to:
HOME > MENU > Settings >MENU > Change Primary Dictionary

Have said all of that, in a Sunday preach or Bible Study, I'll still often use the Bibles on my Palm TX PDA as they are much faster to navigate and to switch versions and to look up Grk or Heb meanings.

-Terry

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 8:23:48 AM PDT
Dandy says:
Thank you for posting this. I just received my Kindle a few weeks ago and was wondering about downloading the Bible on it. My favorite Bible is simply called, "The Book" published by Tyndale. I'm not sure, but maybe it falls under the New Living Testament? Either way, I would love to download it on my kindle.

Many thanks again for your time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 8:51:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 8:55:02 AM PDT
Q says:
Hi Dandy,

Small world. I was looking at "The Book" just yesterday at B&N. It is indeed a new title branding for the NLT (New Living Translation). I really like the NLT. It's a decent translation, yet very readable.

Unfortunately, for those of us wanting to read the NLT on the B&W Kindle, the words of Christ in gray (red in color Kindle app for PC) just look like hard-to-read type.

Actually, many decades ago, I think "The Book" was a title used by Tyndale for "The Living Bible". But that was way back when!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 9:05:08 AM PDT
Dandy says:
Thanks for responding. I just did an Amazon search and just now downloaded "The One Year Bible" onto my kindle Gotta love it, it was there in less than 60 seconds.

I have bought several "The Book" and gave them out to my adult children (who were receptive) and my parents. I know my daughter-in-law loved how it was written and my parents were amazed too and loved it.

Teri

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 7:05:52 PM PDT
L. Hill says:
Dandy...do some more looking...for a while the ESV was free...you can use ToC to select book, then chapter.

The Holy Bible English Standard Version (ESV) [Kindle Edition]
Crossway Bibles (Author)

sorry...don't know how to make it a link.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 7:07:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 7:08:23 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It is simple to make a link. In the text area where you type if you look up just a little you will see a button that says Insert a product link. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 7:33:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 7:44:47 PM PDT
Chloe says:
I have "The Living Bible" from 1971! It is good to know "The Book" is the new title, and is available on Kindle.

Terry, thank you for your very inclusive post above to Sheila. Very helpful and informative.

Edit** I could not find "The Book" available for Kindle. I found only paperback by Tyndale for $8.88. Is there a link somewhere I am missing for "The Book" on Kindle?

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 8:03:24 PM PDT
I have a Bible called OSNOVA Study Bible, it also allows you to jump. I cannot see where it says what version it is, it just says "The Holy Bible". But it also includes a one-year Bible reading calendar (linked), Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by RA Torrey, and How to Study the Bible for Greatest Profit by RA Torrey. It works well.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 9:14:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 9:17:02 PM PDT
jenlar3 says:
I have the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) Digital Text and I like it pretty well. Does ToC mean jump To Chapter?? Of course, I am fortunate my pastor doesn't jump around alot!!!

I would love to find the perfect NJKV!!!! In Digital Text so I could get around fast and easy during Sunday School or Bible Study classes. hahaha

Terry_L thanks for all the above input. Can't wait to look into some of your suggestions!

ETA: The Holy Bible: HCSB Digital Text Edition B&H Publishing Group

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 10:11:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 11:00:03 PM PDT
Q says:
Hi Cloe,

Do note that "The Book" is the present New Living Translation (NLT), which is quite different from "The Living Bible" (LB). The LB was a true paraphrase while the NLT is a looser translation, but a true translation nonetheless; both by Tyndale House.

"The Book" is not available for the Kindle. But the NLT (which *is* The Book) is available for the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 10:28:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 10:36:02 PM PDT
Q says:
Evelyn! You clever girl! You found a version I don't actually have (yet)! Great! I'll add it to my list for the next time I answer this Bible-on-the-Kindle question.

The Bible version they're using reads a bit like the KJV, but it's not, so I suspect it's the American Standard Version (ASV), the precursor to the NASB. That version is often free on several sites.

OSNOVA are the publishers of several of the direct jump versions that I have, including "The NET Bible."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 10:31:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 10:33:37 PM PDT
Q says:
jenlar3,

ToC simply means "table of contents". So Bibles that only navigate with a ToC means that to get to a book and chapter (not verse), you'd need to press:
HOME > MENU > GO TO ...
Select "table of contents" and then page through the listed Bible books until you found the one you wanted and then the chapters listed.

This type of navigation works, but is fairly slow & tedious compared to a Direct Jump search.

BTW, I like the HCSB version as well. A good, accurate translation that is very readable.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 10:57:27 PM PDT
GDabney says:
Sheila, I have the Bible on my K2i, it's the version that has the verse jump feature. King James Bible with "Go To Verse"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 11:05:26 PM PDT
jenlar3 says:
aha!! So simple, Table of Contents... so book related, I wonder why I couldn't think of that??!! LOL

Thanks Terry_L

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2011 12:01:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2011 12:17:18 AM PDT
Chloe says:
Thank you, Terry. Was just looking through my "Collection" of Bibles on Kindle, and I have:
1. Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set), but it was not $79.99 when I purchased!! It was $6.99.
2. Authorized King James Version Holy Bible for Kindle (Kindle MasterLink Technology): Best Selling Bible of All Time KJV Complete Old Testament & New ... (Bible for Kindle / Kindle Bible)
3. The King James Bible (with book and chapter navigation Kindle LG)
4. The Holy Bible English Standard Version (ESV)
5. Holy Bible, GOD'S WORD Translation (GW) (with direct verse lookup and book and chapter navigation)
6. The Holy Bible: HCSB Digital Text Edition
7. Holy Bible Text Edition NLT, now $7.12 - I paid $9.99

That should do it for me!

Edit** Terry, I looked back at your original post, and I think I have to order the NET Bible. Edit 2** And thanks for the Net Navigations Link. Just printed it.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 12:30:15 AM PDT
Unfortunately, the Kindle software is not ideal for Bible Navigation.

What I'd like to see -- maybe somebody will come up with something -- would be a Bible that had its own software bundled in it. Instead of being a Kindle book, it would be a Kindle application.

It would enable me to search for a word or phrase, and then see them in context displaying the Book, Chapter, and Verse. There's a lot of Bible software out there for different platforms, any of which are easier to navigate than any Kindle Bible, so perhaps somebody could adapt some of their functions.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 5:49:53 AM PDT
Bookie says:
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I had no idea that this was available, I have printed this thread so I can look into getting a new bible with "jumping" possiblities. Never occured to me that this is an available feature. Great thread, God Bless you all!

Posted on May 26, 2011 3:59:20 PM PDT
Bookie says:
Bump

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:37:23 PM PST
My friend just bought the Kindle white and has downloaded the NIV Bible onto it. However, she is finding it hard to navigate to a second book within the Bible as it takes her straight to the last page in that book instead of the first.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:09:22 PM PST
Q says:
Hi Mrs J Gibson,
I wonder which edition of the NIV for the Kindle that she has? On my Kindle PaperWhite, I have the "NIV Study Bible" and fond the chapter navigation very easy. Here's what I do to get to Mark 13:16.

* With the book open,
* I tap the top middle to get the drop-down menu bar.
* Then I select "Go To"
* Select "Mark"
* Select "Mark 13"
* Swipe the page from right to left three times to page forward three pages until I get to verse 16. And that's it.

Her version doesn't do that?

If you find out what exact version or link she uses, I could see what the problem is, if any, at my end.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:11:39 PM PST
Q says:
If she is prompted to go to another page, it just means the Kindle, once a further page was visited (which happens in Bibles since it isn't like a novel!) will prompt her if she wants to go to the last page read. If she responds "Yes" then it will jump to that last page.

I ignore that question from the Kindle via "Cancel" and read wherever I like.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:22:37 PM PST
NalaJr says:
Have you all tried YOU VERSION of the Bible? I have it and like it. You can download several different translations to suit your needs and desires. You can select the book, then the chapter and go right to whatever verse you want.

Try it.

Nalajr

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:45:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:06:12 AM PST
Q says:
Yes, I like YouVersion, but using an app requires having a tablet like the Fire or Fire HD. Regular e-ink Kindles can't use apps.

Olivetree's "Biblereader" is also quite nice for a Bible app. I use it a lot for Bible study and Greek/Hebrew helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:26:38 AM PST
thank you I will ask her and get back to you
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Apr 28, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions