Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Whisper sync between iPad and iPhone not working

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2012 2:07:45 AM PDT
T. Allen says:
No matter how many times they've updated both iOS apps, syncing still doesn't work for me. It's turned on in my Amazon account but if I load same book on both devices and click refresh, both say they are at the current page across all devices. Both books are on different pages and never sync. Any ideas anyone?

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 2:30:43 AM PDT
Ellen Ripley says:
Do you have wi-fi turned on? I think it has to be on.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 2:40:18 AM PDT
T. Allen says:
Yes, everything else works such as downloading books etc but syncing does not, just done loads more tests between the two and it treats the iPad as the master so to speak.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 3:06:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2012 3:13:09 AM PDT
Ellen Ripley says:
I just tested Whispersync yesterday but between a Kindle Keyboard and an iPod Touch. With those devices I didn't have any problems. Well actually I did have some problems. But it was because I had the devices side by side and say trying to test the syncing quickly. At least for me I realized that you have to treat it like you would in actual use. You turn on device one and read a bit with wifi "on" and then you close the book, giving it like at least 30 seconds before you let the device sleep or turn it off. Then you turn on Device 2 and turn on wi-fi. If it worked correctly you would get a message asking if you wanted to update your position in the book to the last read page(or something to that affect).

I'm sure you've already thought of this but I'm just telling you how I tested it and got it to work. Of course, maybe it works differently when your not using a Kindle devices or you're going through Kindle reading apps. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 5:25:28 AM PDT
Sarida says:
Nope. Since the new Kindle app update, my iPad will sync with my Kindle, but my Kindle will not sync with my iPad. My iPad and iPhone sync with each other, but it is just the Kindle that won't sync with the other devices.

I've done all the tips and tricks, but can't make it work.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 5:37:13 AM PDT
T., are you going through all the steps? If you want syncing to work properly, every time you need to take these steps:

Device 1: when done with reading, go to home, and then turn on wireless and perform a sync
Device 2: before starting to read, turn on wireless, perform a sync

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 5:39:52 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 6:31:35 AM PDT
T. Allen says:
Hi Zombie, when on the home page of the app there is no sync option, there is only a refresh option when reading a book. I've tried every possible combination, even deleted both apps, tried turning sync off and back on, everything. It simply does not work as it should.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 6:37:35 AM PDT
I don't have my iPad with me today, I'll have to get back to you tomorrow...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 3:02:05 PM PDT
Sarida says:
Jeff, if you hate iPads so much, why do you always hang out in iPad/iPhone Kindle app threads?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 9:52:07 AM PDT
D. LEE-WO says:
To sync on the iPad or iPhone, you have to "pull down" on the home screen. Similar to how you would have the email client check for messages by pulling down on the screen

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 10:34:33 AM PDT
T. Allen says:
Thanks for revealing that hidden function. Sadly syncing still doesn't work properly. I give up, I'll sync manually when needed.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 6:57:04 PM PDT
The Whispersync for Voice feature is available and should be working without difficulty. If you're not seeing your positions sync from one device to another, be sure you to check the App Store to ensure the latest version of the Audible application is installed and try refreshing your library or syncing your device.

Should you still experience difficulty or have questions, please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Care team or visit our Whispersync for Voice FAQ.

Audible Customer Care is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Phone: 1-888-283-5051 (US and Canada)

Answer ID 4146: Whispersync for Voice & Immersion Reading
http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4146

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 7:24:30 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 6:15:53 AM PDT
Wendy Gray says:
I just received my Kindle Keyboard yesterday (it replaces an older edition), and it wouldn't sync with my iPhone Kindle app. After quite a while trying different sequences of wi-fi on/off and other steps mentioned here and in other discussions, I went to Amazon's Manage Kindle webpage. Whispersync was turned off--I forgot I turned it off a couple of years ago when family members who are on the same account were reading on one of my devices. Now that it's turned back on, everything syncs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 7:22:31 PM PDT
Scubabuddy says:
I had the same problem and finally got it working. I use Kindle on my PC and iPhone and wanted to listen to the book on the same iPhone. I downloaded the Audible software to listen to books (note that you cannot use the iPod/Music app on the iPhone). However, I still could not get it working until I realized that you need to download the book into the Audible app and not use the iPod Library. Look in the Categories and click o "My Library". Select "Downloaded". If the book is not there, then it is not downloaded. Also, you need to listen to the Audible downloaded book, which is not as convenient since I have a car unit that controls the book in the iPod/Music app. Of coures, make sure you have Whispersync turned on in your Amazon account. My books now sych perfectly among these devices. If I like it, I will probably fork out the money to buy a Kindle (yet one more device to carry with me).

I do hope this helps.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 9:55:45 AM PDT
S. Sample says:
Here's what is happening to me: I have the same book on ipad and iphone - both the kindle version and the audible version. My ipad is fully aware of my iphone and will sync to wherever I am in the audiobook or kindle book, but my iphone only recognized my iphone - syncs between book and audiobook, but disregards ipad. Super frustrating! Any new suggestions?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:44:42 AM PDT
Mandy says:
I am having a problem with the whispersync as well. The audible version of the book on my kindle 3 will sync with the iphone app. However, the book version will not sync to where the audible version is. Is there something I am supposed to be doing to get them to sync. I tried everything I can think of. I have the latest versions of everything and sync when opening and closing.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:51:01 PM PST
Rick says:
I am having a problem since I upgraded to phone 5 my iPhone is aware of my iPads progress but my iPad doesnot sync to phone's progress

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:40:42 AM PST
Same problem as S Sample and Mandy here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx2K96HIPGIBA1#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Their proposed solution worked for a while but the problem has returned. Neither Kindle nor Audible tech support were able to assist, suggested I "call back later".

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:51:06 AM PST
S. Sample says:
For whatever reason, I am no longer having trouble. Most of the time. As long as I quit the app ( hold til it wiggles then X out) each time, my devices seem to be playing nice about 90% of the time. When they don't, it seems to be a time delay; iPad app works immediately always, but iPhone's audible app sometimes takes some minutes to obtain latest info. I hope forcibly quitting apps each time instead of just closing will help others, too! Somehow I doubt this is over; I'll look forward to the continued conversation here, and an eventual fix from Amazon. It is a GREAT benefit, so I am happy to hang in there - for now!!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:14:32 PM PST
Hi, has anyone had success with text to speech with a kindle book(from the app), on their ipad?ive tried everything, buti can't get my ipad to utilize the whispersync, or speech. I loved my kindle fire for that feature, buti sold it and ow have an ipad that I love, but I want to hear audiobooks! Any suggestions?please?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:15:54 AM PST
Spencer says:
I have the same problem trying to sync books from Kindle to ipad or ipad to Kindle--- it used to work so well --- so annoying ??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:22:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 4:27:52 AM PST
S. Sample says:
Susan, Amazon says in their explanations that the voice feature doesn't work with Kindle apps, only with actual Kindles =[ With iPad, your option is to get both the book and the audiobook ( they usually give a huge discount on audiobook if you buy the kindle book first ). Just be sure to look for the "Whispersync for Voice Ready" icon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:39:20 AM PST
Sarida says:
No, the Kindle app does not do text to speech.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
82 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Kindle Fire charging port getting loose 1168 11 minutes ago
is there any way to track a lost kindle fire? 2 14 minutes ago
Kindle PaperWhite 3 10 20 minutes ago
Buffering 5 21 minutes ago
my kindle e ink (version 4.1.1) 0 21 minutes ago
PBS Video on Kindle Fire - failed 11 29 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 2860 39 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Sunday 13th July, 2014 109 39 minutes ago
loaning books to friends on Kindle 6 41 minutes ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Sep 12, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions