Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

HDMI from kindle fire HD to tv?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 142 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 8, 2012 4:23:27 PM PDT
S. Vorhauer says:
Amazon says it can be done, but the question is will we be able to see downloaded movies that went to kindle file HD and then to TV via HDMI cable?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 4:29:11 PM PDT
anzicco says:
I am trying to find out the same thing, will it allow Amazon Prime Videos and other Amazon video selections to be sent via HDMI to your TV screen. The promotional material says you can share your photos and home movies but it does not indicate one way or the other if other video content will be able to be sent via HDMI

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 4:30:38 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Yes. Whatever outputs to the tablet screen will also output to the tv

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 4:33:12 PM PDT
Shawn says:
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Didn't Bezos show a movie on-screen? It had to be through HDMI-out.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 4:34:38 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
It should operate exactly like a laptop with HDMI out.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 4:40:43 PM PDT
S. Vorhauer says:
Well thanks guys this is great that hdmi cable from kindle fire hd will show downloaded movies on a tv screen. thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 4:49:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2012 4:50:26 PM PDT
deannah says:
Would KFire HD perform like/replace a Roku box for Amazon video streaming?

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 4:53:21 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
The Fire HD will be able to do many of the same functions, but its not exactly the same as a Roku.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 7:00:13 PM PDT
deannah says:
Thank you OR. I have the current Fire and the new one on order. I'm really aware of it's many functions and was just curious if it would do the same as the Roku does. Just as far as streaming Amazon movies to my TV set. Sounds like it will do that job, but will wait and see.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 7:10:50 PM PDT
I've noticed lately that most hotels have upgraded to flat screen TVs with lots of input ports, including HDMI; having HDMI on the new Fire is a nice addition.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 7:13:27 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
yes, indeed, but then they want you to pay $12 a day for wifi, and slow wifi at that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 2:38:02 AM PDT
PS56k says:
I'm wondering what the physical HDMI connector will look like, since the normal HDMI socket is pretty big for a tablet's edge - kinda like a normal size USB connector.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 3:10:42 AM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Its a micro HDMI micro D connector

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 3:17:17 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Of course..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 7:44:40 AM PDT
S. Vorhauer says:
It is a micro hdmi, not sure if proprietary.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 10:42:21 PM PDT
Does this mean that I need to buy a cable cord for the new Kindle Fire HD in order to send the signal to the tv so I can view on a larger screen? And one other thing my tv is an older model! It's an RCA that must be at least 5 or so years old!! Would I need a newer TV to be able to watch a show or movie that I'm transferring from the Fire so that it could viewed on a larger screen???

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 10:53:56 PM PDT
David - Does your RCA TV have an HDMI input? If so, with the right HDMI cable for connecting between your TV and your Fire (micro HDMI to HDMI) you should be fine. Of course, we don't know for 100% sure yet what we will be able to stream from the Fire HD to the TV. Friday cannot come soon enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 11:01:17 PM PDT
I'll have to check it in the morning well before I head off to work AND I'll try to check the back of the cable box!!

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 11:02:16 PM PDT
David, if your TV does have an HDMI input, the cable to connect it to the Fire, would be like this one:

BlueRigger High Speed Micro HDMI to HDMI cable with Ethernet - 10 feet

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 11:07:35 PM PDT
Thanks for the product name and link. Check on that in the morning!!

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 11:42:49 PM PDT
M. Kean says:
If it's anything like my laptop, whatever is on your Fire's screen will be on the TV too. Maybe I'm ignorant about HDMI but I assumed that's how it worked.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 11:47:19 PM PDT
I thin the only thing that posters are not SURE about is that if we will be able to view Amazon Prime Free Instant video through the Fire on to the TV...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 11:57:11 PM PDT
You just stay in more expensive hotels than I do ;)

We usually stick to the mid-range chains with free wifi -- Courtyard, Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton, etc. (or Marriots where we get free wifi because we're platinum members). Some of them have a two-tiered system now, free or paid (faster) service. The free is usually fast enough, at least using a Slingbox app, which does some buffering.

The worst part about the more expensive hotels is that not only do they charge for wifi, but some of them charge for each device, not just one charge per room! Two laptops and two phones results in a pretty hefty charge. At least I've encountered this in the past; I don't stay in those hotels any more so I'm not sure they're still doing it.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 6:41:11 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Some tablets with HDMI outputs blank their own screens when the output is used. I have no idea if this is true of the Fire HD, but if it's a vital distinction for you...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 6:58:36 AM PDT
S. Vorhauer says: "Amazon says it can be done, but the question is will we be able to see downloaded movies that went to kindle file HD and then to TV via HDMI cable?"

Like other tablets, it will depend on the content providers. Some allow their streaming content to be sent out the HDMI ports while others don't. I had that problem on vacation with my iPad. I could use the Comcast app and display the video on the TV over HDMI, but I couldn't do it with the HBO app. I haven't tried it with the Amazon app, but an Amazon CS email I found on another website said that it did not support HDMI out at this time. We won't know about the Fire HD until someone tries it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
75 19 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1073 2 minutes ago
Canceling "Free Time Unlimited" 5 2 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 3120 3 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9103 5 minutes ago
Dishanywhere 1 9 minutes ago
Can Only Borrow 1 Book a Month 241 11 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 3304 11 minutes ago
[You are ignoring the customer who started this discussion] 9765 11 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 1601 14 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  142
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2012
Latest post:  May 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions