Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

RIP Fictionwise

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 7:10:11 PM PST
Someone in a yahoo group posted this email they received. Not unexpected, but sad anyway. B&N pretty much eviscerated it when they bought it and didn't bother to negotiate new contracts with agency publishers, but Fictionwise was a great source for ebooks at one time.

November 15, 2012

Dear Fictionwise Publisher/Author,

As you may know, Barnes & Noble acquired Fictionwise, Inc. (Fictionwise) on
March 3, 2009. Fictionwise runs several eBook websites, including
Fictionwise.com, eReader.com and eBookwise.com. Over the past few years there
has been a significant decrease in demand for many of the eBook formats that
Fictionwise.com sells. In contrast, the new industry standard eBook format
supported by Barnes & Noble--ePub--is growing in popularity.

This letter is to notify you that Fictionwise will wind down its operations on
December 4, 2012. The Fictionwise sites (including Fictionwise.com, eReader.com
and eBookwise.com) will end sales on December 4, 2012 and U.S. Fictionwise
customers will cease to have access to their Fictionwise Bookshelf through the
site after December 21, 2012. Customers outside the U.S. will cease to have
access to their Fictionwise Bookshelf through the site after January 31, 2013.
Fictionwise customers will be notified of this and U.S. and U.K. customers will
be given an opportunity to move their customer accounts, including their eBooks
purchased at the Fictionwise websites, to a Barnes & Noble NOOK Library.

Pursuant to section 2 of the agreement between Fictionwise and you, we hereby
provide you with ninety (90) days notice that this agreement will terminate
effective February 13th. Your final 4th quarter royalty statement and payment
will be mailed February 15th.

If you are not already selling your titles at BN.com and would like to do so,
please visit www.pubit.com.

We greatly appreciate your support of Fictionwise over the years. Together, we
pioneered eBooks and eReading.

Thank you,
Daniel Jorissen and The Fictionwise Team

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:24:51 PM PST
The Blade says:
Not unexpected. I guess I need to go download my library from them. I used Fictionwise before Amazon sold ebooks and bought quite a few books from them over the years.

Thanks for the heads-up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:46:51 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I bought quite a few as well. I have already downloaded my library and stripped the DRM since they were in Microsoft Reader format which is no longer supported. This doesn't surprise me either.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:45:44 PM PST
One thing I really appreciated about Fictionwise (along with their many creative pricing deals) was that when they stopped selling MsLit books they somehow got permission (from publishers/distributors?) for us to change at least some of our previously purchased MsLit titles into pdb format. Too bad the big guys (I'm speaking of you, B&N and Amazon!) didn't manage to do something similar for those of us with pdb and prc titles from the companies they bought.

I have close to a thousand ebooks from ereader.com and fictionwise.com, bought over a period of about ten years. I finally managed to liberate all of them about a year ago. If I hadn't been able to do that I'd be a very bitter former-ebook-buyer. My attitude now is trust but verify ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:53:08 PM PST
The Blade says:
I have them all - here, there, and yon - but I think that I'll take a bit of time and download them all to one spot at one time. Just to be sure. Most I think I'll be able to get with the bulk download, but there will be some that I have to download individually. I'll probably do it this weekend while watching football.

Some of those ebooks are no longer available anywhere else.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:16:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:37:47 PM PST
I think B&N may have just redeemed itself! I just got this email from Fictionwise --

Dear Fictionwise and eBookwise Customer,

As you may know, in March of 2009, Fictionwise, comprised of several eBook retail websites, including Fictionwise.com , eReader.com and eBookwise.com, was acquired by Barnes & Noble.

Fictionwise is in the process of winding down its operations, and Fictionwise.com (including eReader.com and eBookwise.com) will end sales on December 4, 2012. Please note, you will not be able to access your Fictionwise Bookshelf after December 21, 2012.

An Easy Transition to Barnes & Noble's NOOK® Reading Experience

We know how important eBooks are to you, and we'd like to offer you the opportunity to transfer your Fictionwise.com Bookshelf to a NOOK Library by following the steps below.

You will be able to read the transferred eBooks that you purchased at Fictionwise (including eReader.com and eBookwise.com) by downloading NOOK's free mobile app to your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, or you can read your transferred eBooks with your PC/Mac web browser, as well as on the award-winning NOOK® devices. If you would like to transfer your Fictionwise eBooks in your Fictionwise Bookshelf to a NOOK Library, simply opt-in by following the steps below.

Step 1:

Click through to the link below to go to the opt-in page, where you'll be instructed to confirm that you would like your Fictionwise eBooks in your Fictionwise Bookshelf transferred to a NOOK Library. Please opt-in by December 21, 2012.

Step 2:

Once you opt-in, you will receive an email from Barnes & Noble.com with an access code and instructions for redeeming this code. This access code represents the Fictionwise eBooks in your Fictionwise Bookshelf that are being transferred to a NOOK Library for you. You will also see a link to a code redemption page.

Click through to the redemption page and simply enter your code as prompted. This will move your existing eBooks into a NOOK Library. Please redeem this code by January 31, 2013.

How Will the Transition Work?

· Once you enter your access code, if you do not already have a Barnes & Noble.com account you will be prompted to create an account connected with this email address.
· When you create your Barnes & Noble.com account, you will be asked for a credit card. A credit card is required to access some secured titles. Please note, however, that your credit card will not be charged for any of the titles that you transferred from Fictionwise nor for the transfer itself.
· A few Fictionwise titles may not transfer due to discontinued publishing programs. You will be able to see which titles are not able to be transferred by clicking here. In most cases, you can back up these Fictionwise files to your personal hard drive on a Mac or PC. To learn more about backing up these files, please click here http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm.
· AudioBooks will not be part of this transfer process. If you want to continue to access audiobook files, we recommend that you back up those files if you haven't done so already. To learn more about backing up and downloading these files, please click here http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm.
· Personal files that you may have uploaded to your eBookwise library (i.e., any file in your eBookwise library that was not sold to you by eBookwise) will not transfer.
· Subscriptions to magazines will not transfer. Please note that these subscriptions have been fulfilled through November 2012. Any remaining balance in your subscription will be refunded and subscription holders will receive a separate communication regarding this refund.

Please note that once the Fictionwise eBooks are transferred to a NOOK Library, the eBooks will be in ePub format. The ePub titles that will appear in your new NOOK Library cannot be read on Fictionwise legacy applications and devices.

If you elect to opt in, please note that any eBooks you have purchased at Fictionwise.com from October 23th to December 4, 2012, will not be part of the initial transfer process, but will be automatically transferred to your NOOK Library starting December 10, 2012. No action is required on your part once you have opted in.

A reminder: Whether or not you opt in to have your Fictionwise eBooks transferred to a NOOK Library, by December 21, 2012, you should download any titles and/or files you plan to read on an application or on a device that does not support ePub. You can learn more about downloading your Fictionwise files here: http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm.

To transfer your Fictionwise eBooks to a NOOK Library, click here to go to the opt-in page.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/fictionwise-ebook-transfer/edited out my email address

Please opt-in by December 21, 2012.

What if I don't opt-in to have my eBooks transferred?

After December 21, 2012, your Fictionwise Bookshelf will no longer be accessible via the Fictionwise.com website. If you decide not to opt-in to have your Fictionwise Bookshelf transferred to NOOK, you will need to make sure that, if you haven't done so already, you have downloaded your eBooks to continue reading these eBooks through Fictionwise legacy applications and devices. Since AudioBooks, any personal files created, and subscriptions to magazines will not be available to transfer to a NOOK Library, please make sure you have previously downloaded these files, or please download these files before December 21, 2012. You can learn more about downloading your Fictionwise files here: http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm.

Information about Micropay Accounts and Buywise Club

Please take a moment to use your Micropay Dollars at Fictionwise.com, as they will not be valid after December 4, 2012. Please note that any eBooks purchased at Fictionwise after you have opted-in to transfer to a NOOK Library at Barnes & Noble will not be part of the initial transfer process. As noted above, a second transfer will be possible for titles purchased between October 23  December 4, 2012 and you will automatically be eligible for this second transfer once opted-in.

If you don't use your Micropay Dollars by December 4, 2012, you will receive a separate email regarding the refund on any balance in your account.

For more information about how you can transfer your Fictionwise Bookshelf to a NOOK Library, including additional details on how the transition will apply to current Buywise Club members, eMagazine subscriptions, Micropay Dollars and more, please visit our FAQ web page: http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm

We greatly appreciate your support of Fictionwise over the years. Together, we helped pioneer eBooks and eReading.

Thank you.

The Fictionwise Team

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:27:26 AM PST
C. Fisher says:
Be aware many over on mobilereads were only able to transfer a small fraction of their ebooks to B&N. I suggest you download and back them up before Dec 21st and then transfer.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:02:43 PM PST
LadyHawke says:
Gosh, I haven't been in there in years! Unbelievably, my login worked on the first time and I discovered 23 books I have no memory of buying! Oh, well, at least it isn't a big download job. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 3:08:02 PM PST
The Blade says:
I received a similar email today.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:10:43 PM PST
Vinity says:
I am quite angry. I just logged in to Fictionwise, where I KNOW I had at least 20 books bought or more and they say my bookshelf is empty. I used to use this company a lot with my itouches before there were ebook readers. I'm sure I have them backed up somewhere but I don't think I can open them? What do I do?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:13:14 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Make sure you are using the right log in and password. I also went there and they have a list of all my books but most say they are no longer available.

If you are sure this is the correct account then contact Fictionwise.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:13:30 PM PST
give it a little while - they were apparently having server issues after the annoucement today and files were becoming corrupt etc

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:26:35 PM PST
Andrea says:
Well, if Fictionwise is having server problems today, what's BN's excuse? I tried to opt in and received an error that my email address doesn't match their records. Funny it's the same email address my BN account has?! As for the Fictionwise site, clicking on the FAQ link gets a popup asking for account credentials. RIP Fictionwise, agency pricing and BN killed you. It was great while it lasted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:43:40 PM PST
that I don't know - I just know that in one of my other msg boards - someone posted a response from F/W when they asked about the slow server and corrupted files

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:51:49 PM PST
I think they're having some problems.

There's a thread on Mobileread where people said they opted in this morning but only a small percentage of their books got transferred over. Then someone posted a couple of hours ago and said when he clicked on the link from FW a message came up and said he could expect to get his access code sometime next week.

In between those two times, I clicked on my link from FW and did get my access code. It was accepted but none of my books have been transferred yet.

Someone else said they got an email from ereader but not FW. It's not clear to me whether the opt-in will automatically pull over books from all three sites (FW, ereader, and ebookwise).

Fortunately, I have all my FW/ereader books downloaded, stripped, converted, and backed up so it doesn't matter too much to me. I was surprised that they're even trying actually.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:57:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:12:47 PM PST
KindlePad says:
Ahh fictionwise, ereader and the old peanut press! My favorite haunts of the 1990's! Many fond memories reading their ebooks on my old Palm PDA on many trips. In so many ways, the Palm PDA was a great little totally pocket sized ereader. And it ran off AA batteries. I always kept a bunch of short stories and novels on it and I could escape from many a boring meetings by pretending to be "taking notes" on my PDA.

I received the email above and also clicked to transfer them to a BN account. I am curious how many books will transfer over. I was able to log into my FW account and download all 128 ebooks (a lot of short stories as I recall) as kindle / mobi formats and they opened great in the Kindle OSX app. I will probably push them all up to my kindle account also for safe keeping.

So yay.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:11:43 AM PST
Fortunately for some reason I was moved to start downloading my FW books to my computer last month. I didn't get them all though and when I try now to log in I get the message "The login information you provided was incorrect."

Hopefully they fix whatever issues they are having soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:41:03 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"I think B&N may have just redeemed itself!"

I don't know - I got that email this weekend too, and went through the process to transfer over all my fictionwise/ereader ebooks to my nook account. Of the nearly 100 books I had in the two sites' accounts, only two books were transfered over - looks like none of the PDB ones were.. Called B&N customer service and was told that it would probably take time for all the books to transfer and to give it at least 24 hours. Checked again today and still just the two books are there..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:50:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 11:11:40 AM PST
Vinity says:
I had the same problem last night with B&N claiming my email wasn't on record. I have the same email on ereader/fictionwise/ and B&N AND they sent me the dang notification on that email account. Grrr

I've never broken a DRM on a book but I'm thinking this is going to be my start. I also have a $credit on fictionwise I guess I can kiss goodbye.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:29:04 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
" I also have a $credit on fictionwise I guess I can kiss goodbye."

I do too - or at least money in my micropay account.. I think I read on one of the pages that you go through in the process of getting your books transfered - that you can either spend the money on books and then go through the process again to get those transfered, or just wait and they will give you credit/gift card for the B&N website.. I think I'll just wait.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 12:37:38 PM PST
James Lick says:
Hopefully they will sort through the problems eventually. I had 115 books at FW and only two transferred to B&N and only after several tries and lots of error messages and timeouts. I have them all downloaded in mobi format backed up on my computer and on my Kindle. B&N just gave me another reminder of why I never use my nook.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:26:24 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
Just got another email from B&N...

Dear Customer,
Thank you for opting to transfer your Fictionwise or eReader Bookshelf to a NOOK Library.

We are continuing the transfer process which is ongoing during the week of November 19, 2012. If you have more titles that are eligible for transfer, we will deliver those titles to your new NOOK Library. You do not need to do anything more in this process as any transferrable remaining titles will appear automatically in your NOOK Library.

Thank you for your patience and we look forward to serving you.

Sincerely,

The NOOK Team

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:43:18 PM PST
Steve says:
I had the exact same problem and since I have a separate email for every business I deal with, I know for certain that the email is what fictionwise had. Emailing their support link just responds with "read the FAQ". Obviously no human reads it. Good for Amazon I guess, because I'll certainly never buy an ebook from BN now.

This actually happened to me twice, once with a Fictionwise account, once with an eReader.com account.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:34:48 PM PST
At least B&N is apparently trying to do the right thing, for whatever reason.

I just looked at the Mobipocket web site. The home page shows twelve books. Clicking on any categories brings up zero books; I think we can pronounce Mobipocket dead. Amazon bought Mobipocket a few years ago, and certainly didn't offer to move my Mobipocket library to Amazon. I sent an email to Amazon some time ago asking about it, and was told it was not possible.

I like Amazon for many reasons, but they get no points from me for this total disregard of customers of a company they bought.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 12:20:33 AM PST
James Lick says:
I also got the email that the transfers are still in progress, but still just two books show up as transferred.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 14 hours ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 8 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
FREE Books & Chat - May 2015 832 4 minutes ago
Why start a series in the middle!?!?!?! 343 26 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 5182 27 minutes ago
my kindle won't turn on... 0 34 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 7595 35 minutes ago
You Ebook Pet Peeves 15 49 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 3864 1 hour ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 1458 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions