Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Cannot open my Kindle for PC.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 23, 2012 12:23:41 PM PDT
Thelma Mason says:
I cannot access my Kindle for PC. When I click on the icon on my desktop, nothing happens. I have been using it daily for probably six months. I ran a virus scan on my PC, still won't allow me to open it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 12:25:39 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Download the new version and install it over the old.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 12:28:07 PM PDT
Dittie says:
I've seen other threads in the last few days that would indicate it's a problem with the update and lots of people are having the same problem. Before making any major changes, I'd contact customer service about it. Click the blue Help link at the top of this page and then click the yellow Contact Us button.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 12:34:55 PM PDT
Thelma Mason says:
Thanks so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 12:35:54 PM PDT
Thelma Mason says:
Good to hear. I was getting really frustrated. I'll give that a try. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 12:38:34 PM PDT
Dittie says:
You're welcome. I was looking for some of the other posts about this but it's actually easiest just to get troubleshooting help from customer service.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 12:57:55 PM PDT
If Kindle for PC doesn't open, you need to download and install the latest version from http://www.amazon.com/kindleforpc

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 1:21:59 PM PDT
Thelma Mason says:
I uninstalled old version and reinstalled. I was able to keep all the books I had on the old version. Thanks for the help.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 9:50:03 PM PDT
tjoles says:
Thank you!!!!

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 7:29:39 AM PDT
thank you, installing new version did the trick.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 11:25:30 PM PDT
David says:
Have downloaded Kindle for PC installer (all 28.1MB) but when I try to run it, Kindle appears in programs but with no size
or version described - seems empty
Any help would be greatly appreciated

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 11:31:06 PM PDT
@David: Try re-downloading it. It sounds like a faulty download. I've not read of anyone else having the same problem.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 3:24:26 AM PDT
Peter Craine says:
This happened to my wife's laptop a month or two ago, but she only told me about it this evening. I uninstalled it, went to Amazon and downloaded the latest version of K4PC, and all is once again sunshine and lollipops.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 2:52:53 PM PDT
A. DELARA says:
Just found one of the issues: if you have been using admistrator account only for essential tasks and you use a non-admin account for all else, you will have to install Kindle for PC for all other accounts.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 11:37:25 PM PDT
scully1776 says:
I suddenly started getting a run time error and can't open K4PC. So I do all the jazz stuff and wind up emailing for help. They have me install the certificate. Nada. Their email says, if this doesn't work, get back to us.

Well, I get back to them on the email - and they say, "we never got your request for help in the first place." I give up. I can't get the new version to work and I can't find the older version either. Anybody got any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 10:53:35 AM PDT
Richa Mohan says:
Thanks a ton! I was panicking... just downloading this did the trick!

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 11:33:35 AM PDT
smoothysmom says:
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks, but none of them have worked for me. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and deregistered as instructed and even totally emptied my "My Kindle Content" folder. For a brief, exciting moment it looked like that had done the trick because K4PC actually opened and stayed open long enough for me to see all my archived/Cloud Reader books. I then tried to open a freebie I downloaded just recently (Easy-Halloween-Costumes-Instructables-Halloween-) and nothing happened! And then the K4PC shut down.
Any additional ideas or suggestions? I am running Windows 7 Home Premium if that's important to know....

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:58:17 PM PST
Downloaded the new version of Kindle for PC and installed it over the dead version. Worked fine. Downloaded the book I wanted from my library and it popped right open. Thanks for the how to. HP laptop with Win7. Ed

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 4:36:11 PM PDT
T. Baez says:
I have downloaded & redownloaded kindle for PC & I still have an issue when my Kindle opens. It seems like its in Safe mode & messes up my whole screen, but when I close it down everything goes back to normal. There's also a yellow & blue shield that I can't seem to get rid of. I tried to get out of admin & just can't seem to get anywhere. When I first downloaded this kindle it was fine for the first 4-5 months. PLEASE HELP......

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 6:24:40 PM PDT
I just spent $27.00 for minecraft for my son. I go to downloads and says cannot open file. How do I get to open file? Please help!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2014 7:01:01 PM PDT
Snoozy says:
You'll get a better answer if you start a new thread rather than posting on a two year old thread that is in no way related to your question.

Contact customer service. Assuming you bought it from Amazon in the first place.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 5652 36 seconds ago
My Kindle won't charge 376 1 minute ago
unlimited kindle reading for india 1 5 minutes ago
Kindle PW 3G and No signal / data connection 4 5 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4821 10 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014 5 12 minutes ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 5892 13 minutes ago
My kindle won't turn on 1679 15 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 3922 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jul 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions