Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD overheated, crashed, and died

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 1:17:38 PM PST
Watching an MP4 video file on my Kindle Fire HD and observed that the case was getting fairly warm. After about 20 minutes, it crashed. Hit the power button and it rebooted. Restarted the video and it crashed again almost immediately. Would not reboot for some time after it had cooled down. Definitely looks like there is some sort of overheating problem with the Fire HDs.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:22:30 PM PST
Julian says:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_kspot_ksupport?nodeId=200127470

Let Kindle Support know.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 7:54:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 7:55:02 AM PST
Juror #8 says:
Had this same problem. Amazon sent me a new HD. This one still gets a bit warm, but not near like the other. I've got a battery app on there that tells the temperature of the device itself, which is kind of interesting to watch.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:23:30 AM PST
I continued to watch the video file after it cooled down and rebooted, and the same thing happened again. This time it would not reboot even hours after it has cooled down. I took it back to Currys the next day and they replaced it. The replacement Fire HD barely gets warm when playing the same video, and has indeed happily played through several hours of video without any problems. It would appear that there is a rather device-specific problem that fortunately is not universal.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 9:25:17 AM PST
B. K. Allen says:
While playing a game on my Kindle Fire HD, I heard a small pop sound and then felt heat as the screen went black. I allowed it to cool down and it has not come back on since. It has been over 16 hours and I am now trying to find a solution.
BKA in Ga.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:28:02 AM PST
If it got hot and not just a little warm, you won't find a solution. You don't want to. Contact Kindle customer service by clicking the blue Help link at the top center of this page. Then click the giant yellow Contact Us button.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 10:23:56 AM PST
B. K. Allen says:
Wow! I did just what you said. Within two minutes I had an Amazon rep on the phone and a new Kindle Fire on the way to my postal box. I am so impressed with Amazon, their response time, and great customer service. Thank you for sharing such wonderful advice!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 10:25:19 AM PST
You're welcome! I'm glad it's taken care of.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:21:01 PM PST
Mike Cosenza says:
I bought my daughter a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas. Hers began overheating and shutting down almost immediately. Called Amazon Customer Support tonite and they are sending repalcement with 2 day shipping!

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 12:55:53 PM PDT
D. Davis says:
Be ready to deal with the support rep. telling you that you're over charging the unit. W/E

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 5:18:47 PM PDT
Camkenny says:
I bought a kindle and it would not connect to my WIFi , brought it back and now my second Kindle Fire overheated and I'm going to bring that back. I think I am done with the Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2014 9:45:53 AM PDT
Did u have a warranty for your kindle when you called them to get a replacement

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2014 10:05:37 AM PDT
loriltx says:
You're asking a question of someone who posted back in 2012. Don't be surprised if you don't get an answer.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 1:31:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2014 1:33:09 AM PDT
It was right at the statrt of the warranty period, within the first few weeks. It has been absolutely reliable since the replacement.

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 7:30:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2014 7:35:06 PM PDT
My Kindle Fire HD is overheating too much to the point it won't charge unless it next to something cool like a fan or AC vent.

Posted on Sep 5, 2014 2:45:53 PM PDT
I'm streaming movies thru my kindle to my tv will it overheat

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2014 7:10:11 PM PST
Bob says:
Do you have to pay?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2015 6:34:19 PM PST
The brightness of the screen may had been the issueFire HD 7, 7" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 1:41:16 PM PST
traveller says:
Same thing happened to me.....have you found a solution ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 1:44:47 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Contact customer service.

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 4:26:02 PM PDT
B. K. Allen says:
The wsame thing happened to mine. Just this week, my battery in my second Kindle will not hold a charge. I am not sure whaT IS GOING ON BUT i WILL CONTACT CUSTORMER SERIVCE TODAY.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 8, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions