Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

So Why Were my Reviews Deleted

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 12:43:06 PM PST
zombieluvr says:
Since Amazon has refused to acknowledge my inquiry, I will ask on here. Maybe someone can help me. I have had two reviews (one from a Verified Amazon Purchase) deleted for no reason. Why?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:43:53 PM PST
Loz says:
Did you post spoilers in the reviews at all?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:46:26 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Maybe you violated a guideline? The rules are here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-help/customer-reviews-guidelines

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:54:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 12:55:11 PM PST
zombieluvr says:
No and no

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:55:30 PM PST
There are long discussions about this all over the web, even some media stories in Slate and the LA Times. Nobody ever really knows what Amazon is doing, but most assume that in response to all the recent bad publicity about shill reviews, Amazon has instituted new algorithms to out potentially fraudulent reviews, and *lots* are being deleted. In response to complaints, authors & customers are getting canned responses back, basically just listing the Amazon TOS for posting reviews - if you bug them more than once you'll eventually get the message that they cannot help you further with this matter (or some such.)

Lots of speculation - authors reviewing authors are being deleted; reviewers who accepted gift cards/e-book gifts thru amazon from the author; people who have accounts somehow associated (IP?) with other reviewers who violated Amazon policies...
Nobody knows for sure, and I don't think Amazon's ever going to tell.

I think this blogpost does a good job explaining some of the issues, or you could also google Joe Konrath's blog for another take. There are also several discussions in the Top Reviewers Forum.

http://www.edwardwrobertson.com/#!/2012/11/update-on-amazons-disappearing-reviews.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:55:56 PM PST
Loz says:
Then without actually seeing your review, can't say why it would have been deleted...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:57:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 1:01:49 PM PST
Was it a kindle book, not a verified purchase, that you got from the author or someplace like good reads and didn't disclose it in the review? Are you a friend/relative/publisher/whatever of the author. Did the author send you the book as a gift, or a gift card to buy the book and you didn't mention it in your review?

Of your last four reviewed kindle books none show as purchased through amazon, did you turn off the avp badge or did you acquire them in another way?

*edited for clarity, put reviewed in between four and kindle in the last paragraph.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:06:41 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
they're supposedly removing all reviews by authors

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:10:43 PM PST
zombieluvr says:
Most are library check outs or books I had read in the past. Of the two that were pulled, once was a verified Amazon purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:10:56 PM PST
zombieluvr says:
I am not an author

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:16:13 PM PST
Tinker-bella says:
Other than speculation, as Kindle owners, we won't be able to provide you with any definitive answers to your question.

You might try contacting Amazon again and asking to speak with a supervisor to see if they can elevate your concern.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:17:28 PM PST
JES says:
I have a feeling you probably know why the reviews were deleted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:21:41 PM PST
zombieluvr says:
I have a feeling you are wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:25:35 PM PST
JES says:
Then contact amazon again if you really want to know. Other customers guessing why your reviews were deleted isn't going to get you an answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:28:46 PM PST
zombieluvr says:
That is why I said maybe somebody can help me. As I am not the first person to have this issue, I felt that maybe someone who has been through it already may have found out some answers. Isn't that what this forum is for?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:35:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 1:38:47 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Well, no, this forum is about Kindle devices.

Try this one:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/top%20reviewers?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2Z5LRXMSUDQH2

ETA: Here is a very long thread on that forum on the topic of review deletion:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/top%20reviewers/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2Z5LRXMSUDQH2&cdThread=Tx3B0Y9RZMNHY4O

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:38:17 PM PST
zombieluvr says:
Thank you. Very helpful. I appreciate it, RD Clark. My Mistake for posting in the wrong forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:40:41 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
No matter what forum you choose, this question can not be answered by other posters. We can't even guess unless you posted the same review somewhere else (Goodreads, Shelfari, etc.) or have kept a copy that you could share with us.

Amazon is doin' some review clean-up. We don't know what specific factors weigh in those decisions. Apart from the review guidelines - http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-help/customer-reviews-guidelines we have no answer for you.

I'd suggest, as others have, calling/emailing amazon with SPECIFICS about the book you reviewed AND, if you have it, a copy of that review.

Best of luck,

DL

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:41:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 1:42:59 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:43:00 PM PST
I'm out of guesses then. I do know Ammy is cracking down hard because of shill reviews, I'm NOT saying you are a shill reviewer, I'm simply stating Ammy has been brutal deleting reviews the last couple of weeks

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 2:21:07 PM PST
B. Marks says:
Personally I'm glad that Amazon is doing this. Yes I can see that there will be some innocent reviews removed in the process but hopefully Amazon will try to keep the reviews that we see as honest as possible. I would hate to see one of my few reviews removed in this process but if it happens I won't cry about it. I'm far more concerned that the reviews I see are from people who have no ulterior motive.

Barry

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:28:46 PM PST
The only problem might be that honest reviewers will give up while dishonest ones will try harder to game the system.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:05:02 PM PST
B. Marks says:
That's probably true. Hopefully Amazon can keep up with that. I suspect that it will be a never-ending battle.

I don't rely a lot on reviews. I read them to find out things about the book and if the reviewer gives an opinion I think about that but my tastes are often different so I don't think other people's opinions about books are a particularly good guide for me. Often the things they say about the book are useful, though.

Barry

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:19:38 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
The OP is tagging one particular author quite a bit. Maybe the OP ran afoul of Amazon's new filters?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:26:14 PM PST
Buttercup says:
Ok I admit I have a suspicious mind, but do you think he could be Joshua Cook. And that could be why?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions