Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New Kindle user - How can I share books with my son?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 10:42:34 AM PST
Me says:
Hi. I just ordered the Kindle Fire HD for myself, should rec'v it in the next couple of days. The reason I put it off for so long is because I share my books with my son, and didn't think I could do that with Kindle. He has an older Kindle, btw, but uses his step-mom's acct. Is it possible to share the books I get with him? I've read a few postings where people say they "share" their acct with someone else, and one person said they have more than one Kindle tied to their account. I appreciate any help on this, because I know I'll limit what books I get for Kindle and buy paperbacks just to share with my son.

Thank you in advance!

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:44:27 AM PST
Yes if you are on the same account. He would have to de-register his kindle from her account and register it to yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:45:46 AM PST
The books you purchase belong to the account not the device. You can have as many devices are you want registered to your account. Most families just register the devices to one joint account.

Books cannot be "moved" from one account to another.

Some books can be loaned once only for 14 days. This is up to the publisher/author.

You can only register a device to one account at a time. With the Fire, when you unregister it, all content is deleted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:49:09 AM PST
❤ Ann says:
You can have multiple Kindles registered to one Amazon account, and all of them can access the books that are purchased by that account.

If your son already has a Kindle that is registered to a different account, you won't be able to freely share books that you purchase with your account. You may be able to lend some books, if allowed by the publishers. See http://amazon.com/kindle-lending.

Your other option would be to move your son's Kindle to your account, and you and he could then share purchases going forward. He would no longer be able to download books from his step-mom's account, though.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:50:58 AM PST
annieb13 says:
My Kindle books download to my computer. I have one account but my daughter has a kindle and we share books. Can she have the books downloaded to her computer too?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:52:54 AM PST
Just register the app on her computer to the same account and she'll have no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:53:38 AM PST
❤ Ann says:
@annieb13 - Yes, she will need to install a Kindle app on her computer and register it to your account.

http://amazon.com/kindleapps

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 11:31:49 AM PST
Me says:
Thank you, guys, for the great info! This problem was a big concern for me, cuz I thought I was going to have to give up my Kindle periodically so he could read the books I get! I don't think it'll be a problem for him to get off his step-mom's account. She doesn't use it anymore (she uses an ipad), and doesn't read the books he likes anyway. He's just been using the "free" books, and not getting much use from it. I know he'll use his Kindle more on my account. YAY!! I'm so excited/happy now!

Thanks so much! One other question, though, how does he de-register the Kindle from her account and then register the device on mine?

Thank you, again!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 11:34:37 AM PST
❤ Ann says:
Which Kindle does he have - http://amazon.com/help/kindle/which ?

On most of the e-ink Kindles, you can find the registration options under Menu -> Settings.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 11:44:34 AM PST
Me says:
It's just one of the basic Kindle readers, not a Fire. I believe it's a few years old. We'll check it out, though. If I'm understanding you correctly, we should be able to de-register and then re-register directly from his Kindle, depending on the type Kindle he has, and not have to call customer service. We'll check it out. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 11:54:15 AM PST
❤ Ann says:
If it's a few years old, it's probably the Kindle Keyboard, maybe the 2nd-generation Kindle. In either case, yes, you can de-register and re-register directly from the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:37:05 PM PST
Just make sure when registering that you go very slowly and make absolutely certain you are typing in your correct email address and password. If you mess up even one character in either field then instead of registering the Kindle to your account you will create a new account. That's because Amazon allows any number of accounts to be tied to a single email address so mistyping or even misremembering a password will create a new account without telling you it's creating a new account.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
64 10 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Paperwhites Locking Up 51 1 minute ago
Book Vs. Kindle 81 2 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2014 4 5 minutes ago
Kindle Fire earphones 46 11 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat- Sun/Mon Sept 28/29, 2014 135 12 minutes ago
does this item have text to speech? 1 18 minutes ago
Managing orders 2 25 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 3811 25 minutes ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions