Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Does the Kindle Paperwhite Replace The Kindle Touch?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 7:20:39 PM PST
Lynne Lyttle says:
My daughter wants a Kindle Touch, but all I find are refurbished ones. Does the Kindle Paperwhite take the place of the Kindle Touch?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 7:26:14 PM PST
Not exactly. The Paperwhite has the frontlighting feature but it has no audio, whereas the Touch had built-in speakers and a headphone jack to support audio books, music and the text-to-speech feature.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 7:35:17 PM PST
Lynne Lyttle says:
Hmmm, I don't THINK any of that stuff makes a difference to my daughter, but I'll have to see if her husband can feel her out about it. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 7:43:14 PM PST
You're welcome. FYI: There's a chance that some stores may have a few clearance-priced Touches still out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 9:19:21 PM PST
16 Grand says:
I wouldn't buy one if they did. I have had so many problems with my touch. Very frustrating when you are trying to read. I think they got rid of it in less than a year because it had so many issues.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 1:13:46 AM PST
John D. says:
If audio doesn't matter to your daughter, then the Paperwhite is clearly superior.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 1:27:37 AM PST
The Touch had many problems, and has been phased out, replaced by the Paperwhite, which lacks some of the Touch's features. Decide what features you want, and go to the Kindle pages which describe, and compare, the various models/features. I had a 3G+Wi-Fi, now known as 'The Keyboard Kindle', which has audio capability. As such, when I wanted a second Kindle, I got a wi-fi only 'Kindle', better known as 'The Basic', which lacks audio capability, and 3G. Why pay extra for features I don't need because I already have them on the other unit? When I just want to read an e-book, I usually grab The Basic Kindle. When I want to listen to an audio book, I grab the Keyboard Kindle. When one unit is being re-charged, I read on the other. The one 'Touch' model I have experience of belongs to a relative who is having no problems with it. A close friend of mine likes to play video games, and watch movies, and wants to be able to do both on her Kindle...so she is getting the Fire HD model. Your daughters wants, and needs, will determine which model she should get.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:18:57 AM PST
Will the cover (with elastic flap for fingers) I bought for my Touch fit the Paperwhte?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:03:54 AM PST
Lynne Lyttle says:
Okay, after reading everything everyone here has said and looking at the comparisons of "The Basic" and the Paperwhite, I think the Paperwhite is what she's going to want. It has the touch screen that she wants, and even though she doesn't want the audio (at least I don't think she does), it's the only one with the touch screen. My only other question now is that it says "display with patented built-in light". Is that the same thing as back-lighting?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:07:29 AM PST
No, it's the opposite of backlighting. If you look at the Paperwhite's product page, it's explained.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:08:48 AM PST
Cyndie says:
No. Back lighting is what you see on a tablet, smartphone or computer and bothers many people's eyes trying to read for long on that type of lighting. The front lit is coming from four small LED's at the bottom and are diffused to point down at the e-ink layer and is much, much easier on the eyes. That light is adjustable so you can set it at the level which suits you best.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:14:46 AM PST
Lynne Lyttle says:
Thanks! I was just coming back to say I read further on the description page for the Paperwhite and answered my own question LOL Sorry about that! Also, the Paperwhite doesn't have the audio, which as I said, I don't think she wants anyway. It's a bit more money than I was figuring on, but since she doesn't want to the 3G model, it won't break the bank. Thanks again everyone!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 9 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
SwagBucks Thread 4165 22 seconds ago
Free Books & Chat - Thursday, December 24, 2014 26 25 seconds ago
Possible to Upgrade Ad Supported Kindle to No Ads? 31 50 seconds ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 488 1 minute ago
Kindle Fire Free Time, No Music Access? 115 1 minute ago
Is there a way to type Spanish or French accents with KINDLE DX? 7 2 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 5440 3 minutes ago
Amazon ruined my Christmas 81 3 minutes ago
Fire HDX 4.5.2. Update 26 5 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions