Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle for Mac

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 5:59:41 AM PST
Murray says:
I have a MacBook using Safari 10.5.8. I installed kindles for Mac and used it for a while, bought and read books, and then it just stopped working. The Kindle symbol now comes us with the circle/slask symbol over it. I can no long use the books I bought. Can't seen to reinstall. What's going on?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:34:33 AM PST
AugustFalcon says:
My guess is that you are using OS X 10.5.8 not Safari 10.5.8 (Safari has nothing to do with Kindle for the Mac)

Kindle for Mac requires OS X 10.6 or above. It may also require an Intel processor but that's just a guess. In any event try upgrading to OS X 106 or above.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:49:42 PM PST
Murray says:
Thanks for the information. I know you are correct about the need for 10.6. My problem is that I had it working on 10.5.8 and then it stopped. I had already bought and read books on it. If it can work on 10.5.8 once why not all the time. Amazon wants me to upgrade (I spoke to them after I posted the question) and my response was "That costs. I downloaded your product and bought your books and now I can't use them - I think this lacks some integrity." They have no answer other than using cloud reader which I am now doing. At least they could have warned me that this was going to happen. I had to figure this all out myself - no easy task for someone who is a user of computers but not someone who understands much. They understood the issue but had no solution to me having Kindle on my computer again. Bad business I would say. Any ideas about upgrading Macs? Thanks again for taking the time to help out - appreciat it. Murray

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:47:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 1:51:49 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
I see your point, Murray. Amazon already drew some flack for forcing users of Kindle app on Windows in a rather heavy-handed way to upgrade to a recent version. It seems they think that avoiding support mess brought by numerous app versions "in the wild" is worth it.

Until you upgrade your OS, I believe you can access your books through Cloud Reader from Safari - http://read.amazon.com

Edit: I wholeheartedly recommend that you splurge $69 on the cheapest Kindle e-reader (or more on some other model) - reading from a computer screen can't compare to reading from a good dedicated reader. And, when you need big screen or color, Cloud reader is still there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2013 1:56:09 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 14, 2013 1:56:58 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 1:57:39 PM PST
PageTurner says:
If you don't want to upgrade and you have time machine backup, go there to find the version of Kindle app that works w/10.5.8...the Kindle icon in time machine will not have the circle w/slash over it. Then just click the restore button in time machine and re-register the Kindle app with your Amazon sign-in info and everything should be there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions