Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Paperwhite Kindle Keyboard?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 7:20:11 PM PST
I love the look of Paperwhite, and the light is brilliant!!! But I do not prefer the touch screen any plans to give the keyboard version the same treatment???

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:23:23 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Amazon has not announced any new models, they just came out with the new Paperwhite and the new Fire HDs which they are having trouble supplying the demad with.

Maybe next years new model will be a paperwhite keyboard model.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:36:00 PM PST
Tom says:
Is this basic "Kindle" has back light so I could read in dark place? or must have a LED lighting?

Tom

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:50:31 PM PST
LeiaSolo says:
The basic Kindle which is the newer version that is black in color does not have the LED light attached. Only the Kindle Paperwhite Wifi version and Kindle Paperwhite 3G&Wifi version both have the light. The basic Kindle black version DOES NOT have that light. If you want the light for your basic Kindle, you will have to get a separate light for it, such as the Kandle, or you might look into buying the Paperwhite which HAS the light already built into it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:53:18 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 1:23:09 AM PST
The Fire devices are backlit and have all the problems of being backlit. The new paperwhite is not backlit, has a lighted screen, and does not require an external light source.

I would like to see all of the e-ink models with Paperwhite screens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 4:40:24 AM PST
You know, I was resistant to touch screens, and even bought a refurb "back-up" KK, I love it so much. However, when the PWs were announced, I was feelin' sorry for myself, and decided I needed a new toy. So I ordered a PW.

I love it! The interface is simple, and the screen is beautiful. I got it just in time for a camping trip, and was gleefully snuggled down in my tent, no propping of flashlight required.

"Okay...but camping. What about at home?" LOVE it! I can keep lights on if people around me need them, or I can tuck up anywhere regardless of lamps.

I would say you have nothing to lose by trying a PW; you can return it if you don't like it. But I think you miiight liiike iiit! :0)

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:04:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 7:05:32 AM PST
I'm going to try a Paperwhite but I am less than enthusiastic about a touch screen. Like you, I bought a Kindle Basic as a back-up for my Kindle Keyboard. The idea of not having a Kindle makes me shiver. If I like the Paperwhite my Kindle Keyboard will go to an acquaintance who is a compulsive reader and is on a meager fixed income.

I quit tucking a flashlight under my chin sixty years ago. Now I have Petz LED headlamps. They're great. Hands free. They look a little silly in upscale restaurants but if you've passed seventy and don't have a wife to nag you, who cares? Petzl headlamps are awesome for camping. I wish we'd had LED back in the sixties when my children and I were backpacking in Colorado.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:14:38 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
The Paperwhite touch screen is not shiny like my smartphone touch screen. I like the fact it is not shiny. It doesn't show fingerprints. It took a little practice to learn how long a "tap" should be and how long for "hold".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:25:55 AM PST
I got myself a PW even though I was resistant to the touch screen. Sadly, my fears materialized.
I love the light.
I can deal with the new home screen, though I prefer the cleaner look of the old ones, I never wanted covers to show.
I like the touch interface for the menu stuff.
I cannot deal with the touch interface for changing pages. Half of the time my taps are too soft, so nothing happens. And several of my favourite reading positions don't work anymore, either because I can only reach the page-backward portion, or because I'm afraid to touch the screen with my fork or knife.
I've handed over my PW to a very appreciative dear friend and have written Amazon that I really just want page-turn buttons, I can do touch for all the rest.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:01:30 AM PST
WISHLIST! ;0)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:18:46 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Touching with your knife or fork would not work anyway. You can use a stylus made for this type of touch screen. I have gotten adept at touching with a knuckle while I eat and read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:22:32 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
little fingernail, here

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:40:25 AM PST
It's great you realized you were untrainable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:46:36 AM PST
It's not so much training I was lacking, more like several joints. I usually read lying down on a bed or couch, usually on my right side, holding the Kindle with my right hand on its left hand side. But my wrist doesn't bend far enough to reach the page forward part of the screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:00:45 AM PST
R. Nelson says:
Zombie - You don't have to have the cover shown on the home screen of the paperwhite. It can look like the previous menu, that is how I have mine set.

In the menu select "list view". Although I guess you have passed your paperwhite on and don't care anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:01:30 AM PST
S. Dunham says:
I'm with you. I love my PW but I do prefer the page turn buttons. Especially since I used to hold my Kindles in my left hand. The constant movement of the thumb does aggrevate my carpel tunnel, so constantly moving my left thumb over enough to get to the page forward zone doesn't work. Holding the PW in my right hand while keeping my thumb on the edge of the bezel to roll my thumb onto the screen is okay. But there are times I have to tap the screen a couple of times before the page turns.

I have already sent feedback to the Kindle team, but I would love to see a PWKK version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:10:43 AM PST
Dude I work with has no joint in his thumb. Just a fused mass of pulp. Industrial accident. He'd have problems, too.

Then again, he doesn't read much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:12:05 AM PST
Sounds like if he did read much he might've read the sign that said "Don't Stick Your Thumb In This Here Contraption".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:20:25 AM PST
Hah! Well, almost. A runaway skill saw.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:21:17 AM PST
Sounds like he didn't have the skill to use that saw.

Okay, I'm done.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:24:33 AM PST
Try the veal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:38:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 12:39:45 PM PST
Steve S. says:
You're a smarmy mother. Read this: "Stay in your snarky, O.T. threads and leave the gentle people alone!" <[:)

ETA: I up-voted you 'cause no one else would.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:40:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 12:42:22 PM PST
Bless your heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:41:41 PM PST
(*stares out into left field, from whence that came*)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 5 days ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 1862 6 seconds ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 5861 11 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Sun Oct 26, 2014 4 20 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 4076 1 hour ago
Kindle for Kids 0 1 hour ago
Turn off Voyage backlight? 0 1 hour ago
Font sizes on Kindle Voyage vs Kindle Keyboard 37 2 hours ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 710 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions