Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Prime membership now taxed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 8:49:32 AM PST
Scratching my head here. :-) My Prime membership came due yesterday and, when checking my account today, I discovered that they'd taken out more than usual. When I checked the invoice in my account here I saw that they'd added $6.12 in tax.

I don't mind paying taxes on items that I buy, but am puzzled about being charged tax on a *membership.* The rep I spoke to is passing my question up the line as she couldn't find an answer to my question.

To quote the king of Siam: "Is a puzzlement."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:51:08 AM PST
quilt lover says:
I didn't think services were taxable?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:51:41 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It depends on the state.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:51:49 AM PST
Since taxes are set by the government, probably your government has changed how it wants taxes collected. Services here, are taxed as they are considered a "good" that you pay for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:52:26 AM PST
That would depend on the sales tax laws in your state. Some states tax digital goods, and most likely memberships. We pay sales tax on a YMCA membership in Ohio.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:52:42 AM PST
quilt lover says:
Makes sense.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:18:45 AM PST
Another weird thing is that I am not charged tax on the kindle books I purchase. You'd think that if they were going to charge tax on a membership that they'd charge it on digital books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:24:26 AM PST
CLS10 says:
Taxation of digital purchases is state specific.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:27:46 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
If the books are sold by the publisher then it depends on weather or not that publisher has a presence in your state.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:10:07 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
Ebooks would depend if the publisher has a prescene in your state, if they do not then you will not be taxed.

Most ebooks are sold by the publisher not Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:47:35 AM PST
As Prime includes access to streaming, if you pay an entertainment tax in your state (services like cable, DirectTV, Netflix), you will pay tax for Prime.

Many states also have a shipping tax clause similar to this:

When a retailer sells tangible personal property; certain items, property or goods; or taxable services which are subject to tax, and the retailer charges the purchaser for delivery, the retailer's total charge, including the delivery charge, is taxable. This is the case whether delivery is made by the seller's vehicle, a common or contract carrier, or the United States Postal Service.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:26:04 PM PST
Sacramento hasn't gotten around to taxing digital media.................yet.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 3:57:44 AM PDT
Dloy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 5:03:14 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
How old are you to call someone dummy?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 5:29:40 AM PDT
You sound like you're 5.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:06:44 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
You waited for six months to reply to that posting? During that time, couldn't you have figured out a better thing to say?

"Sorry" doesn't cut it since you elected to hit the "post" button. You could have altered the wording first.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:14:12 AM PDT
"The California State Board of Equalization (SBE) has revised Publication 109, "Internet Sales," to state that the sales of electronic data products such as software, data, digital books (eBooks), mobile applications, and digital images are not taxable when transmitted to customers over the Internet or "by modem." Note that such sales remain taxable when the sale is accompanied by a physical storage medium or product such as a CD-ROM."

http://www.eisneramper.com/California-sales-tax-ebooks-apps-Tax-blog-0412.aspx
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions