Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Placing DRM books on Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2011 3:20:47 AM PST
Eddie Nieves says:
I placed several of my DRM free books in the books folder of my Kindle Fire, but when I go to the device some of the books appear in the documents section and others in the book section. They are all in mobi format. Why is this?

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 8:03:36 PM PST
I've noticed the exact same thing. I'd love to know what the difference is.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 5:19:08 PM PST
Bookaholic says:
I have purchased dozens of books from Amazon over the years that I have owned a kindle. Since I got Kindle Fire, I am being told by my Kindle Fire that the book must be removed because it won't support DRM. How do I remove DRM from ebooks that I have already purchased?

PS: I am having to download to my pc, then usb them to my kindle fire.

Can anyone assist?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 5:53:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2011 7:31:16 PM PST
I found the answer. There is a meta tag in the file [PDOC] which is apparently no longer supported. Removal (and replace with [EBOK]) and resolution steps using Calibre (free software) are somewhere here in the forums. Check the story that fixed it for me here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=2&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2MTO76NSAG32N&cdMsgID=Mx2DQ2LL4LTS9R9#Mx2DQ2LL4LTS9R9

P.s. - that is the correct spelling for the software name. UK English.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 5:54:50 PM PST
Removing DRM is probably not something you'll find guidance for in these forums. Too easy to use that advice to steal content.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 8:00:15 PM PST
Bookaholic - Are you trying to side-load your Amazon books from your Kindle to the Fire? Because of the way Amazon encodes the DRM, you have to download them specifically for the Fire. That's one reason it works when you go through the download to computer/USB dance.

And, sometimes even if you are downloading from Archives or MYK which you may be doing, it doesn't work because it is a computer, but sometimes it is a very dumb computer. In that case, I would recommend trying a restart on the Fire to see if it clears up whatever bit of stupidness it has in memory.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 12:04:28 PM PST
Bookaholic says:
Nope. Downloading from Amazon's Kindle Archive to Desktop, then from Desktop to Kindle Fire.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 3:54:28 PM PST
Bookaholic says:
I spent $200 on a product that is not capable of accessing 95% or more of the books that I have purchased in the past through the two previous kindles. An hour on the phone with Amazon Technical Support, and all I got was "sorry. I'll send an email to the head of Tech Support and Customer Service. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

As I explained to the tech support person...this is a HUGE SCREW-UP on AMAZON's Part!!!! One of the features that I love with my previous kindles is being able to access books that were previously purchased. I should not have to jump through hoops to get access to previously purchased books...Kindle Fire or not.

PS: I have de-registered my Kindle Fire, it's going to a friend who wants it. He don't have any books for DRM to screw with.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 4:08:03 PM PST
King Al says:
I've been able to access ALL of my previously purchased DRMed books on my Fire. Your unit must be defective.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 5:42:05 PM PST
Are you SURE that you've signed in with the right account? The DRM is specific to the user, not to the device.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 5:49:03 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
If someone is going to steal content they already know how to do it. It takes all of five seconds to remove DRM from a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 5:51:35 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
When you download them to your computer and side load them make sure you are doing this for the Fire. You have to tell it which device to do it for. Sounds like Amazon is trying to work out the problem with you. They will make it right. Take a chill pill and just know things will get better.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 6:54:20 PM PST
Mary McManus says:
My fire can see all the books that were previously in my Amazon account as well as those that have been purchased since I bought the Fire. You should not need to transfer them to your computer first. I pulled in what I wanted from the list showing on the Cloud from the Fire itself. The only thing I used Manage your Kindle for was to send a personal document to the Fire, and that is in the Document section rather than Books.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 7:05:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 7:12:07 PM PST
J. Spotts says:
I've bought the hardback version which entitled me to read the book. Regardless of licensing, I feel that right carries over and negates any illicit use of the ebook version I have on my Kindle. Besides they would be hard pressed to prove your using an illegal copy considering its not stored in the Amazon cloud. I've got entire collections on mine. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and several other book collections. I do not feel obliged to pay twice for something I already own. They tried that scam when they switched from VHS to DVD and DVD to Blue-Ray. At best I'd pay the cost of the disk, but if you expect me to rebuy the content your crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 7:44:16 PM PST
King Al says:
You may feel so, but the right does not carry over. You are correct in that nobody will ever get prosecuted.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 8:21:45 PM PST
An interesting concept, J Spotts. While I rather like the thought, I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning, since the copyright of a hardback usually says "sold on the condition that this book is not bought or sold with any other cover than that in which it's published", as well as "may not be reproduced, stored or transmitted without prior permission from the copyright holder". So the rights you paid for with the purchase of your hardbacks don't include permission for an ebook version as well :-)

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 5:59:24 AM PST
Just received my fire this morning and am having the same issue; (note- I have been a kindle user for years and have many books purchased directly from amazon, and am not an idiot. I have readers on pc's and iphones, all against the same account and none have seen this issue)

What is interesting is while 97% of the books I have purchased from amazon don't work, some do.

I have a suspiscion that there is a bug out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 6:00:49 AM PST
I have well over 600 Amazon books, everyone of them loads perfectly on my Fire. There were no hoops involved.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 6:08:48 AM PST
Rick Bman says:
Just got my Kindle Fire for Christmas and I am also having trouble reading books I've already purchased. Get an error DRM. A bit annoyed.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 6:14:55 AM PST
Rick Bman says:
I just deregistered my Fire and reregistered and now it is working fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 6:44:40 AM PST
Thanks Rick. That did the trick. That was kind of silly.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 7:08:16 AM PST
I was getting very angry but Rick's suggestion did the trick. Thanks Rick.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 6:08:51 PM PST
Big says:
Reset to factory defaults and it works. Go to device down at the bottom

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 11:01:18 AM PST
Mandi Ausman says:
Thank you Rick! Super easy fix and it worked - I was getting all pumped up to have to argue with an Amazon tech guy about why I couldn't access my books lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 11:04:15 AM PST
"Regardless of licensing, I feel that right carries over and negates any illicit use of the ebook version I have on my Kindle."

Just because you believe it does not make it true.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
75 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
FB&C--Free Books and Chat-- Friday July 11, 2014 7 1 minute ago
How do I seperated my grandson kindle fire apps from my kindle fire? 1 4 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9150 4 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1109 8 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 1561 9 minutes ago
forgot password for parent controls 79 10 minutes ago
Reset All New Kindle Touch's 88 12 minutes ago
Download a list of all books purchased 13 13 minutes ago
Recommendations are at '0' 2 20 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions