Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire and Public Library Audio Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 92 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2012 10:49:35 AM PST
Gbob says:
Althought Overdrive works very well with ebooks from our public library, I have not been able to transfer a public library audio book(MP3) to my Fire. I suspect audio books cannot be transferred to a kindle Fire via Overdrive but don't see that written anywhere. Am I correct?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 10:52:14 AM PST
C. Scilley says:
I would think you would have to download it to the computer and sideload it into the Fire. Correct me if I am wrong.
Carolyn

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 11:36:08 AM PST
T.Ray says:
I use Overdrive to download MP3 audiobooks from the library directly to my Kindle Fire all the time over wifi. Possibly, it is your individual library that prevents it. I'm in Seattle using the King County Public library system and it works fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 11:45:04 AM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
At least at my local library, many of the available audio books are in WMA format, and they won't work with Overdrive Media Console on the Fire. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but those that are in MP3 format *should work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 12:31:38 PM PST
Gbob says:
Thanks I'm checking on that. Glad to know that it does work...at least somewhere...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 12:33:19 PM PST
Gbob says:
Thanks...I know the WMA format doesn't work...but neither is the MP3 format...at least I have discovered that it does work at other libraries so I'll keep checking with our library...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 1:33:27 PM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
I just double checked, and I was able to check out an MP3 audiobook from my library, download it and listen to it from the Overdrive Media Console for Android, all from my Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 11:06:46 AM PST
Gbob says:
It's becoming obvious this is a local library problem. They informed me that the Kindle Fire does not accept audio books and when I told them it does at other libraries they said they would get back to me...!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 2:37:47 PM PST
Gbob says:
By the way are you doing this wireless or via hard wire?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 6:05:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2012 6:09:05 PM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
Via Wi-Fi. I did every step on the Fire. My computer, which is hard wired to the router wasn't involved at all. And, of course, the fire only does Wi-Fi.

eta: Good luck! If you need me to try something out, I'm happy to. I'm tracking this discussion, so I'll see messages here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 5:37:43 AM PST
Gbob says:
Thanks....when you say you did everything on the Fire do you mean you loaded overdrive direct to Fire, downloaded direct to Fire so you didn't have to transfer the file from computer to Fire?

I'm using a MAC computer at least initially I was. I have been successful in downloading kl3 audio books to my MAC but it doesn't't see my Fire either wireless or hard wire.

I have also been successful using my laptop (PC) downloading to overdrive for Windows on the laptop and transferring to my Fire via hard wire.

I have not been able to figure out how to do transfer with MAC or laptop.

Could you tell me how you are doing it wireless...step by step?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 9:54:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2012 9:55:59 AM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
I have loaded the Overdrive Media Console on my Fire, I don't actually remember if I sideloaded it or downloaded it with the web browser on the Fire, it was one of the first apps I installed from outside the Amazon Appstore. Here's a link to a thread on the MobileRead forums that explains the steps involved in sideloading an app:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157358

I got the app directly from the Overdrive web site, you need the Android version:

http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/

Whether you download it directly to the Fire using its web browser, or download it on your computer and sideload it to the Fire, you will need to change the Device settings on your Fire (little gear at the top right/More/Device) to allow installation of applications from unkown sources.

So I had the app already installed on the Fire when I checked out and downloaded the MP3 audio book. I used the web browser on the Fire to go to my library's Overdrive site. I found an available MP3 book that sounded interesting and checked it out. Then I started the download and the Overdrive Media Console app popped up and finished the download, and when it was done, the book was available to play from within the app.

This wasn't necessary, since it plays fine from the Overdrive App, but just for kicks to see if the downloaded MP3 would play from the Fire's internal MP3 player, I used the ES File Explorer app I have downloaded from the Amazon Appstore to find the audio book file on my Fire (it's in a subdirectory of the OverDrive directory named for the book). I tapped on the MP3 file, and sure enough, it works with the Amazon MP3 player, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 2:51:09 PM PST
Gbob says:
Thanks this worked! I didn't have to sideload. I did change settings to allow downloads from unknown sources as you suggested but i downloaded library site and overdrive for Android directly and it worked. I did download ES File Explorer but didn't need to use it.

I will have to wait 14 days to try it further because in my trial and error efforts i downloaded too many audio books to my checkout list and can't checkout any more until period expires. I had hoped to be able to return them early but apparently that isn't possible with audio books. Is that what you have found as well?

Thanks again!

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 3:43:14 PM PST
T. Johnson says:
The Question/Answer area on our library's website says:
Q: "Can I checkout and download Kindle books on my Kindle Fire?"
A: "Yes. You can brose, check out, and download Kindle eBooks from your library using your Kindle Fire - you don't need to use a computer. Note that you cannot install the OverDrive Media Console app on your Kindle."

Paying particular attention to the last sentence - and then looking at the messages in the above messasge string (esp. M.Ratcheson): What is the OverDrive Media Console app used for... (first), and did people have success downloading AUDIO books to the Kindle Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 5:47:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2012 6:00:07 PM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
I only use the OverDrive Media Console for AUDIO books on the Kindle Fire. I haven't tested it, but I assume it is necessary for the OverDrive DRM. It doesn't work with Kindle ebooks, and no app is necessary to read Kindle books on the Fire or any other Kindle device or app. It does work with EPUB books, but I have another application from which I read DRM'd EPUBs.

And as I've said more than once, I've had success listening to MP3 public library Audio books from the Kindle Fire using the OverDrive Media Console app. And Kelly confirms it works for her, too. I haven't yet listened to audio books from Audible.com, but since there is an Audible app, I don't imagine there will be any issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 5:57:02 PM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
Yes, I can't return audio books early like I can ebooks, either. So I've set my default loan period to 7 days for audio books, though for ebooks it's set for 21 days (we can choose from 7, 14 or 21 day loans).

Great, Kelly, I'm glad I could help!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 6:07:25 PM PST
You can install the OverDrive Media Console app on your Fire and you use it to check out audio titles. Audio titles are DRM protected and by using the OverDrive App, you are able to get the permission to listen to them. You can download the app from the OverDrive site and sideload it to the Fire.

Now, onto using the app. Before answering your post, I wanted to test it to make sure I was right. I started the app, put in my zip code, then the browser opened to my library's webpage, where I checked it out the first MP3 audio book that caught my eye and then it went back to the app and downloaded. Now, I am listening to it.

Note here: I choose an MP3 title because I know that WMA files can't be read by the Fire. Maybe through the OverDrive app, they can be, but I didn't try.

Did I miss anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 6:27:55 PM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
Sounds to me like you missed nothing :-). FYI, I have tried a WMA audio book, and the OverDrive app wouldn't play it, told me it wasn't supported, I don't recall the actual wording.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 6:33:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2012 6:34:35 PM PST
Haha! I was so busy testing and writing all of the steps that you beat me with your response to T. Johnson's question.

I figured that it wouldn't play WMA, so glad that you tried it and not me. My internet is too slow to download an audio book that won't work.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 7:37:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2012 7:37:48 AM PST
Debbie says:
Thanks so much for the information on how to get the overdrive app - i love listening to audio books when driving but was listening to two or three a week it was getting pricey - now I can get them directly from the library as well and as my local library has a get selection between my library and audible I will always have something to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 9:32:22 AM PST
Debbie, also keep your eyes peeled for free audible books. I have gotten quite a few via special offers or notices posted here and other places.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 9:48:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2012 10:01:10 AM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
A Confederacy of Dunces is still free from audible.com:

http://www.audible.com/pd?ie=UTF8&asin=B0036N27KO

And another one, Metatropolis is free now, too:

http://www.audible.com/pd?ie=UTF8&asin=B006ICL346

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 8:11:46 PM PST
Bree says:
To M. Ratcheson: thank you for referring me to this thread! I had done a search for my question, but this thread didn't show up. I had tried to download the OverDrive Media Console, but even on the OverDrive site it indicates that KFires are not supported (I tried anyway of course!). The simple act of allowing apps from an 'unknown' source was the key to solving all of my problems. I imagine that Amazon thinks of any source other than it's own app store is 'unknown', but the OverDrive Media Console has been around for quite some time and is completely safe. I will contact my local library and tell them this and hopefully it will solve a lot of angst for people in the future! I will also make sure that the wiki how to site has this suggestion, too. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 8:24:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2012 8:25:46 PM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
Great, B., glad we could help! There's no question downloading the app directly from the Overdrive site is safe. I suppose if any technical issues arrive in the future we'll be on our own. But it certainly works fine for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 8:04:24 AM PST
don says:
Kelly
Can you explain exactly what you did to download audio books from the library. I am having a very difficult time trying to do this.
I am not computer literate so, if you can please use the simplest terms. Thanks
Don
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  92
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions