Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Protection Plan for Kindle Fire HD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2012 8:04:33 AM PDT
Chris Lucas says:
I just purchased my Kindle Fire HD at a local Best Buy. They wanted 80 bucks for the two year protection plan (!!!). I see that there is a two year protection plan available here on Amazon for 55 bucks.

My question is this:

Can you purchse this plan for a Kindle that you have purchased at a local retail store or can you only get the plan for a Kindle that was ordered directly from Amazon?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer this because I have not been able to get a clear answer on this so far.

I'm VERY nervous about not having a protection plan for the device, but don't want to shell out the ridiculous amount Best Buy is asking for. Used to be my favorite place, but their customer service has gone to hell and all they seem to care about anymore is selling their ridiculously priced protection plans.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:09:10 AM PDT
**Meya** says:
I would NEVER recommend an extended warranty from Best Buy. (We don't buy extended warranties period)

The Fire HD has a 12 month warranty through Amazon, regardless of where you purchase it. I "think" you can buy a Square Trade warranty, no matter where you buy the device.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:11:11 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
No you cannot. The extended warranties on the Amazon website require that you purchase the item from Amazon.

I would recommend going to if you want a extended warranty.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:34:21 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Seconding Meya's comments on all points. I'll take Bixilarla's word on whether you can purchase a SquareTrade warranty on the Amazon website if purchase the device elsewhere. In any case, though I'm not a big proponent of extended warranties in general, SquareTrade has a very good reputation and Best Buy warranties are, ahem, a very good warranty....for Best Buy's profits.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:34:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 8:37:16 AM PDT
L L. says:
not true. Square trade sends you right back to amazon to buy their warranties on the fires. They have a deal with amazon so it doesnt matter where you buy it. I bought a 3 year accident one. The other kindle warranties can still be purchased right on st so you can use promo codes with them. I wouldnt be without one either. I broke my kindle screen after 2 weeks while reading when a pair of tweezers fell off a sidetable on it. Cases dont protect it while you are reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:40:09 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
That's funny, from the Squaretrade warranty product page on Amazon:

This warranty is valid only for Kindle Fire HD devices that have been shipped to you in the past 30 days, or are currently in your Cart.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:42:43 AM PDT
**Meya** says:
You can go to Square Trade's web site and buy a warranty for a device not purchased on Amazon.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:48:11 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Meya, apparently you cannot for the Fires. When you enter Tablet Fire under the get warranty they send you to the Amazon product page which requires you to have purchased the Fire from Amazon. I just tried it to see what would happen. Strange indeed.

I have never seen this before from them, it is strange.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:49:11 AM PDT
**Meya** says:
Ah, I didn't know that.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:03:20 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
I'm no expert on the SquareTrade warranty, but I'd examine whether you can purchase the warranty within 30 days of a purchase from another retailer. I'm suspecting that as long as you're within the 30 day window (as determined by registration date) you may still be able to purchase the warranty.

Just a thought. Someone who has purchased the KFHD from another source will have to confirm/disconfirm.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:08:55 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
You are correct Squaretrade goes by the shipping date not the pre order date and you have 30 days to purchase the warranty.

Looks like Squaretrade is not offering a warranty on Fires purchased anywhere else but Amazon at the moment, when you try to purchase a warranty you get redirected to the Amazon page for the warranty.

Would have to contact Squaretrade customer service to see if they will be offering it on Fires purchased somewhere else if you are interested in a warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 9:29:51 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Just another good reason to purchase Kindles through Amazon. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 9:33:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 9:38:39 AM PDT
I have actually spoke to Squaretrade CS - about warranties for an HTC ONE, and the one for the Fire.

They usually discount a warranty if you ask (you have to ask though). There is no discount for Fire warranties. You can purchase them over the phone.

HOWEVER, I WOULD NOT buy anything over one year - if ever - and only the accident stuff. Technology changes so much - my Thrive sold last July is already yesterday's news - and look at the folks grumbling with the less than one year old fire tabs.

My kindles are still kicking, my laptop from 2008 is still kicking with win 7, I have all my old cell phones, one with deactivated sim to slowly transfer 6 years of contacts - and it still makes a pretty good alarm :-) , 2003 HDTV ready crt still kicking it, my Roku 1 & 2 both work, 2010 LG TV still shining. Plus the Thrive alive out of warranty (but running HC 3.1), and the iPad2 works quite well (purchased new from apple for $350, they wanted to sell a warranty for $100, no thanks).

While I like the idea of peace of mind - I'm wondering if these warranties are worth it. If you have emergency cash set said, and renter's/home owners insurance with replacement value rider, methinks I am covered.

But I like the accident warranty for the cell phone from square trade. Even though the deductible is $99, the current replacement value (which they give you to buy another phone), is over $400.

OH, you have 90 days from purchase to buy a warranty. The problem with the Fie warranty? You can't get one year - minimum of two. As cheap as the fire is, and with the next wave sure to be out next year (or the tegra 3s will seriously drop in price), I can't see a warranty for two years.:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 10:07:39 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
I tend to agree with all you've said. The bottom line is that extended warranties are offered because most people don't make claims against them. Infant mortality (failure soon after purchase) is far more common than long term "wearing out" for electronic items. Manufacturing faults tend to show up when heat is applied.

As far as accidents are concerned, it's worth noting that at least for the Kindle Fire Amazon routinely replaced damaged units for a maximum of $100 (i.e. 50% of the full price) in the first year. So that means you're comparing the cost of the warranty ($50 on the KF) to the POSSIBILITY of having to pay $100 if the product was damaged. That may make sense to many folks (which is why insurance exists) but in the case of items like the KF, I have my doubts.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 10:33:27 AM PDT
H. Lapo says:
Amazon's page also says

"You qualify if:

A Kindle Fire HD has been shipped to you in the last 30 days, or a Kindle Fire HD is in your cart. Add a Kindle Fire HD to your cart or Register a new Kindle Fire HD"

Once you have registered a KFHD that was purchased elsewhere you should be able to get the warranty. I did this for two original Fire's I picked up at Best Buy and the product page for the Squaretrade warranty had the same disclaimer/qualifications at that time. Of course Amazon could have changed things up, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 9:00:26 AM PDT
Chris Lucas says:
Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the feedback. I'm usually not the one to purchase the extended warranties on electronics because I think they're a rip off for the most part. I did not know that the HD comes with a one year warranty. You're lucky to get 90 days on most electronics nowadays. I'm going to skip it and just stick with the warranty that comes with the device. Thanks again for all of the feedback from everyone!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:11:00 PM PST
AndeeLea says:
Thanks! I just bought my Kindle Fire HD at Best Buy because I needed it before it would make it to me via Amazon shipping. You guys saved my $40 with your excellent comments. I called Best Buy and they refunded the money to my Amazon card via phone. They were very professional and friendly and took care of my request immediately.

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 5:30:09 PM PDT
I just got a Kindle fire HD like 4 days ago n I left on my table n my dog dropped it. N I have a little black spot in the corner. Can smb tell if amazon is gonna cover it or no?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2013 5:38:39 PM PDT
R. Kraemer says:
I always use a credit card that extends the warranty on the item that I bought. Check most people don't know that many credit card companies have the extended warranty.

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 5:35:01 PM PDT
a.kennett says:
Is it possible to get insurance on my kindle fire hd after the warranty has run out?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2015 6:21:18 PM PDT
No, and it's not insurance.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Sep 19, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions