Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Restricting access to only children's books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012 10:55:48 AM PST
Cheeks 1 says:
I bought a Paperwhite for my 10 year old and want to restrict her access to only children's book, is there a way to do this? Thanks

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 11:32:20 AM PST
Define children's books.

Then define who you wish to decide what is a child's book. Elected officials? Religious leaders? Your next door neighbor? The security guy at a grocery who made a 4 year old sign a confession for eating a grape? Authors? Retailers?

I do believe the Paperwhite and basic Kindles have parental controls so you may stop access to the browser, the store (or at least purchases), and your archives. Then when YOU decide what books are appropriate for her you can set up her Paperwhite to handle the restrictions you deem appropriate.

If you are asking if there is a rating system to define age appropriate reading then no, thank goodness there isn't. I can't imagine how painful a process that would be.

However, do review the parental controls and I'm sure you can find the restrictions you wish to implement as an individual parent--you know your kid the best. My son is using a Touch so I don't remember the details off the top of my head. FWIW he read the Hobbit and LOTR as a 10 year old and I don't think he would have found those in the children's section.

JTG
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
13 4 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
kindle fire hd no longer has volume 1 35 seconds ago
kindle fire 24 1 minute ago
Kindle Voyage .. the return of.. wait for it... page turn buttons 235 5 minutes ago
Again no larger than 6'' screen on the new Kindle (Voyage)?! 19 9 minutes ago
Printing from Kindle for PC 44 11 minutes ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 6643 11 minutes ago
Reading email on a Eink Kindle 11 15 minutes ago
Does Kindle Paperwhite support EPUB? 75 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions